Tram Locations

eldomsmith

In the wealth of Sheffield Transport photos' are these two showing great photo's of Sheffield Trams. Does anyone have any info on where these two images are from? One is of interest in particular as it would have been my Tram home from wherever it is to Intake!

Scan_20201022.thumb.jpg.ab48aa744941583d3cbf60c46a8b007f.jpgScan_20201022.thumb.png.6dd5120185b408c7f367826179f825b1.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eldomsmith said:

In the wealth of Sheffield Transport photos' are these two showing great photo's of Sheffield Trams. Does anyone have any info on where these two images are from? One is of interest in particular as it would have been my Tram home from wherever it is to Intake!

First one I think must be as it says on the destination blinds, Vulcan Road.

Guest leksand

I'm not a tram expert but judging from the shelters and the proximity to the pavement the top photo would appear to be at Vulcan Road, Tinsley, which I guess must have been a terminus, or close to. It still exists in a form today - literally the road to (or perhaps from) 'hell.

sh-vulcanrd.jpg.8a1a3cf7fc9e7ed679791cb55ece24c1.jpg

sh-roadtohell.jpg.4509413cc1b3ada5c42e98f335b629aa.jpg

42 minutes ago, leksand said:

I'm not a tram expert but judging from the shelters and the proximity to the pavement the top photo would appear to be at Vulcan Road, Tinsley, which I guess must have been a terminus, or close to. It still exists in a form today - literally the road to (or perhaps from) 'hell.

Vulcan Road was a tram terminus, I sometimes caught trams from Millhouses to there, and later worked works special routes from there with buses after the trams finished. At the end of the steelworks shifts there were a long line of trams and later buses, perhaps only second in number to those at Steelos,  (Steel, Peech and Tozer).  There are plenty of pictures on here or Picture Sheffield of trams on Vulcan Road including the last trams.

The modern Vulcan Road seems to be have moved a bit.

First picture is definitely Vulcan Road, taken during the war, as the front fender is painted white and the tram has a headlamp mask.

Looking at the second picture, it looks like a posed photo so I don't think the destination blinds will help. The tram seems to be on reserved track to one side of the road, so that makes it either Abbeydale Road near Millhouses Park, or Abbey Lane, but a quick look on Google maps doesn't immediately throw up anything obvious.

Nigel L

I think the second picture is Abbey Lane, not too far from where the reserved track starts at the Beauchief end. The houses in the background to the right are the first pair of semi-detached houses on Folds Lane (still there but modified, with newer houses added between them & Abbey Lane) and the house to the left of the tram is The Folds, now replaced by the housing on Beauchief Rise.

Clearly the photo was taken before houses were built along this stretch of Abbey Lane. The only image I can find which supports my thinking is this aerial shot from Picture Sheffield which is looking the other way but shows the houses I mention (and perhaps the tree near The Folds as well):

https://www.picturesheffield.com/imagefiles/jpgh_sheffield//s12406.jpg

Guest leksand

Have done a selective overlay of the 1930's map onto a 1920's base to illustrate the features evident in the second photo, plus the apparent sightlines. That's a brilliant spot. The camera really foreshortens the distance to the buildings. Used to run up there fairly regularly and never knew why that stretch of Abbey Lane had the odd road layout.

location2.jpg.18d2a124fc899d6b5c703c182f6abf01.jpg

Reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland

On 06/11/2020 at 12:37, leksand said:

Used to run up there fairly regularly and never knew why that stretch of Abbey Lane had the odd road layout.

Don't know if the council have resurfaced that area, but many years ago I was on Abbey Lane when there was frost on the road. The area of the reserved track, now an access road, was white over, but the position of the tramlines was clearly visible as the frost had melted over them, which I had had a camera with me!

Nigel L