Schools in Brightside/Grimesthorpe area

johnm

When my mum was about 9 in 1924 her family moved from Sutherland Rd where she attended All saints school to Rothay Rd at Grimesthorpe.

I am trying to find what school she would have attended at Junior and senior level; Newhall Road rings a bell. Does anyone know if there was a school there at that time or whether she would have attended somewhere else ( I am fairly certain she didn't go to Owler Lane or Grimesthorpe).

Also are there any records available for the relevant school?

Thanks, John

Hi John

My grandad attended Newhall School which was and it had the proud honour to be the 1st School in England to be built after the passing of the Education Act in 1870. He was born in 1918 (they lived on Hawke Street) by the Wellington pub. So fairly certain twas there in 1924. I remember reading about a famous young footballer who attended there Harry Gooney? and remember my Grandad singing a song the boys used to sing at the school.

Not sure about records - here is an engraving!

Guest tsavo

Newhall School was the first school to be built following the Education Act of 1870. The school was built in 1873.

This photo from Picture Sheffield shows the Newhall School boy's football team in 1920.
Was it just a boy's school or is the caption confusing? The one in the middle looks female to me. A mascot perhaps?
Link:
http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s03897&pos=1&action=zoom&id=7437

Newhall School was the first school to be built following the Education Act of 1870. The school was built in 1873.

This photo from Picture Sheffield shows the Newhall School boy's football team in 1920.

Was it just a boy's school or is the caption confusing? The one in the middle looks female to me. A mascot perhaps?

Link:

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=s03897

I've seen that photo in a book. That girl is a mascot - forced on the team by her father , possibly a bookmaker ? , who paid for the teams kit. In return they had to put up with her! Now't new under the sun.

Guest Old Canny Street Kid

I've seen that photo in a book. That girl is a mascot - forced on the team by her father , possibly a bookmaker ? , who paid for the teams kit. In return they had to put up with her! Now't new under the sun.

The girl in the Newhall School footie photo was inded the daughter of a bookie who supplied the school team's football kit in the 1920s. The bookie was also the father of Sid Aistrup, who was a member of the same team as the (then) legendary schoolboy star Harry Gooney. Gooney, who captained Sheffield Boys and England Boys, went on to become (in that era) Sheffield United's youngest ever professional when he signed after leaving school at 14. Alas, the FA said he was too young, and he had to wait until he was 17-and-a-half to turn pro. In the meantime, he worked in the offices, but he still trained with the professionals. In fact, he always said that training and playing with the grown-up pros every day sapped his strength, and he never became the star he had been as a lad. Even so, he didn't do too badly. But he retired from the game early, and for many years worked for the Electricity Board.

The Newhall song of that era went something like...

We are the Newhall Boys,

We never make any noise

--Not much!

We win all our matches,

We get all the scratches,

We don't care wherever we go,

We are the Newhall Boys!

It doesn't sound like much now, but back in the 1920s I bet it sounded pretty good!

Sid Aistrup, by the way, went to live in Blackpool.

Guest Johnnymeynell

Does anyone have any more information about Syd Aistrup, or indeed any photos of him? I believe this is the same person who appeared twice for Halifax Town in 1928-29. I have just published 'Halifax Town: the Complete Record' and intend in a few years' time to bring out the Halifax Town Complete Who's Who. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi John

My grandad attended Newhall School which was and it had the proud honour to be the 1st School in England to be built after the passing of the Education Act in 1870. He was born in 1918 (they lived on Hawke Street) by the Wellington pub. So fairly certain twas there in 1924. I remember reading about a famous young footballer who attended there Harry Gooney? and remember my Grandad singing a song the boys used to sing at the school.

Not sure about records - here is an engraving!

Hi Dunsbyowl, Do you know what the catchment area was for Newhall school? My mum lived at Rothay Rd so I think she would have attended Carlisle St school but just have a recollection at teh back of my mind that it was NewHall Rd.