Sheffield Castle - Excavating The Past

Sheffield History

From that video it looks like the digs are over and they are not going to dig the entire site. So lots of questions will go unanswered. And the future? Well it looks like some kind of theme park, but not in the park sense of things, more like the technology park in Attercliffe, with commercial projects on the site, even a a funfair! The archaeology hidden away to protect it. Rather like the findings of previous digs, not on display, but stored in vaults, with access to university professors only and the like. 

Having looked recently on a 3D computer display with glasses that you put on your head, those computer models look complete rubbish. There's the ability these days to make Sheffield Castle look so real that you would have to watch were you walk to avoid the horse crap!     

• Like 1

I'm a bit disappointed by this. I really thought that some of the archaeology was going to be on display with development around it.

I remember this bit of Sheffield Castle that could be seen on Castle Gate when I was a child in the fifties, some fool decided to remove it and put up a concrete wall sometime in the early seventies. It was just a few stones in the corner left of the picture.

Castlegate 1972.jpg

What's happened to the bit that was accessible via the market? Did they not take out ceiling to it?

PS: I should qualify that with the section that was left open and you could see if you asked permission from the Castle Market people.

55 minutes ago, History dude said:

What's happened to the bit that was accessible via the market? Did they not take out ceiling to it?

I dont really know but there's plenty of photos of the earlier excavations on picture sheffield.

I'm really disappointed that they're not going to show the castle but instead just create a space where the 'story' of the site will  be hinted at?

1 minute ago, Sheffield History said:

I'm really disappointed that they're not going to show the castle but instead just create a space where the 'story' of the site will  be hinted at?

That’s typical of Sheffield “ we had a castle but it’s gone” the council have never ever been interested in the history of Sheffield, they are complicit from the knock it down and build  student flats syndrome.

Sheffield has,perhaps unkindly, been described as the "Philistine City"... " If it's old pull it down"....Perhaps our past City Fathers were too interested in" making brass and improving the lot of the working class" to be overly concerned with other aspects of life...at least that was a conclusion Mary Walton had back in 1947.

I am told by a retired City Councillor that in her 30 plus years as a Councillor several proposals were mooted with regard to the Castle and all came to nought. Let's hope that something tangible will come of these recent excavations...

I would have thought having a "Friends Group" might have seen some real heritage designs than that what seems to be on offer. Mind you I know that English Heritage only like the "coffee and talks" type of Friends Groups. They laid into the Friends of Sheffield Manor Lodge when they thought about running things. So Green Estates now operate the site. As a result the ruins now have plants growing in them! 

But I suppose when the number of bodies increases, who get and are involved, rules and regulations start taking over any project. Some are clearly saying that we shouldn't dig this, because we will disturb things and cause damage to the "stuff" underground.  

Hi

The  very limited remains and the depth at which they are situated make it very difficult to create any sort of focal point possible. 
In Liverpool they have a “window” looking down into what remains of the very first dock built: this now buried under Liverpool One. Maybe that is an option.