The last tram

Lemmy117

Tomorrow (8th October) marks the 60th anniversary of the closure of the first generation tram system, and the last tram in the closing procession, Roberts car no. 510, is now at the tramway museum at Crich in Derbyshire. While won't be in service tomorrow, it will be outside the depots for photographic purposes. I will be driving one of the two trams in service, if you visit, come and say hello.

Nigel L

• Like 1

Afraid I can’t be there but I was on the route the last tram took in Sheffield and threw a coin onto the rails so the tram would go over it 

I stood on Coles corner to see the last tram, and I too put a penny on the rails to see it flattened. I was very sorry to see them go.

I rode with my Dad on that last morning, from the city centre to Vulcan Road and back, though on 506, not 510. I had seen 510 in its finery earlier in the week. I still have the souvenir book which was published to mark the event - I think Dad must have treated me to it, as five shillings was beyond my means at the time!

It was chucking it down!!.  Mum and dad took me to see the parade and we stood on the Moor in front of British Home Stores, which as the doors were set back offered a bit of shelter. I remember the lights on the illuminated trams going past and being soaked. Apparently I told dad I wanted to be a tram driver, he told me not to be so daft, but then again I was only three years old.

Fast forward thirty odd years and I joined the tramway museum at Crich, and eventually got to be a tram driver, and got to drive the Last Tram I had seen that night.

• Like 3

Perhaps my memory is fading but didn't some "scrapped" trams receive a  short lease of life from Tommy Ward's , Tinsley scrapyard following the failure of several replacement buses????

That I wouldn't know, and I haven't seen that mentioned before. Trams were moved across the road from Tinsley depot to the scrap yard from time to time, and the ones destined for preservation were either loaded onto transport at Wards, or Queens Road.

Nigel L

The Last Sheffield Tram – 8 October 1960

A friend has sent Me a copy of the Menu for the Guests who travel on the last Sheffield Tram. There are x2 separate pages for Sheffield Trams so I’ve put the Menu on both.

It would be interesting to see a Guest List for the event?

Wazzie Worrall.

Tram Closure Dinner 1.jpg

Tram Closure Dinner 2.jpg

Tram Closure Dinner 3.jpg