Scraith Wood Drive

Ratter

Whilst looking at the ‘Side by Side’ OS Map 1949 - 1969 of the Herries Road area, I noticed that the layout of Scraith Wood Drive is completely different to the current layout ... see map.

Any ideas why this should be the case ?... it looks as if the original ‘elongated’ design has been demolished and a newer compact layout built.

Also ... does anybody know where the Scraith Wood Waterfall - as depicted in Picture Sheffield - is, or was, located ?

5DA1F87E-8011-46A9-9D26-8BB1F8FEB214.jpeg

4990A999-D6C2-414A-8F2F-4791924BE7CE.jpeg

Scraith Wood Drive was originally all prefabs. The layout must have changed when these were removed and the site redeveloped to what it is now, possibly in the seventies.  My 1984 map shows an open ended road similar in length to the existing.  There was a path known as Cinder path with a small stream which may be the one referred to. 

Thanks Les ... you are spot-on with the Prefab information.

Since my original posting, I’ve discovered that this area / road was developed as a site for Prefabs,  indeed a lot of the ‘edges’ of Herries Road was also used for them.  Clearly these didn’t last over long, but probably longer than the original Prefab intention.  

I can’t find the location of the Cinder path you mention ... you may be right with regards to the Waterfall.  It’s certainly not indicated on any maps I can access. I’m beginning to wonder if the stream, fed by the Waterfall, was re-routed underground when Herries Road was constructed.

Thanks again for your reply.

On 24/09/2020 at 10:18, Les said:

Scraith Wood Drive was originally all prefabs. The layout must have changed when these were removed and the site redeveloped to what it is now, possibly in the seventies.  My 1984 map shows an open ended road similar in length to the existing.  There was a path known as Cinder path with a small stream which may be the one referred to. 

The cinder path was known to us as the cinder track, a continuation of Parkwood Road/Douglas Road, there was a stream that ran from the site of the Shirecliffe college/pigeon huts before that was built, down to the junction of the two roads, Denby Mitchell had a piggery there.

I think the address, of Scraith Wood Drive, given for the waterfall was probably an assumption made by someone logging the photo, rather than anything originally connected to the photo itself. The indicated date range for the photo, 1900-1920, is obviously long before there was any Scraith Wood Drive and a period when Scraith Wood was of much greater extent.

I would hazard a guess that the waterfall was on Toad Hole Dike. The following description comes from another Sheffield forum:

"There used to be a deep ravine across the road from the Forty Foot Public House. It was later filled in by household rubbish then turned into a recreational area".

This is certainly suggestive of the kind of terrain where a waterfall could occur. Mapping from the 1930's shows the surrounding area was still wooded at that time, and the 50's map illustrates it was still partially wooded then. If any waterfall survived in some form until then, then it might just about be remembered by someone. There are certainly features in each map that could be read to support the existence / former existence of a small waterfall, though, admittedly, might also be caused by entirely different processes.

thd-35.jpg.28a5a2d655c14eab598e09b344afccc9.jpgthd-52.jpg.c6302ddab3ca7909d5997d1d9be34702.jpg

Thanks everybody for the replies and suggestions.

leksand ... I hadn’t noticed the Picture Sheffield ‘date discrepancy’ - must try harder - but I think you are right. Also about the original Toad Hole Dike site being the favourite place for the Waterfall.

Driving up Herries Road will not be the same now ... I’ll be imagining all the Prefabs and the history that goes with them

We filled in part of the toad hole dike with demolition rubble, the most likely place for the waterfall could be the slope down into Herries pond, end of Cookson road

Thanks Neddy ... I think you are probably right.  
The level on the Pond side is much lower than the other side of Cookson Road, and a Waterfall would resolve that.