Wincobank Hall

dunsbyowl1867

You'd never know it had been there but the picture below is of two gate houses to Wincobank Hall for may years home to the Reed family noted Christian Philanthropists and Anti Slavery Campaigners. The Hall was purchased in 1923 by Sheffield City Council in April 1923 for £2,000 to build 47 Council Houses in the site. The Hall was just off Jenkin Road where Hyacinth Close now stands.

Guest jesse

You'd never know it had been there but the picture below is of two gate houses to Wincobank Hall for may years home to the Reed family noted Christian Philanthropists and Anti Slavery Campaigners. The Hall was purchased in 1923 by Sheffield City Council in April 1923 for £2,000 to build 47 Council Houses in the site. The Hall was just off Jenkin Road where Hyacinth Close now stands.

wincobank hall has just been uncovered at the moment archiologists are there i went up a few weeks ago to have a look its really interesting you can see all the cellar and the old walls.

Rawson family papers

The hierarchical structure of this catalogue is shown below.

See the entire contents of the catalogue instead

Held by Sheffield Archives

Reference 199-RAWSON

Covering dates 1779-c 1880

Creators Read family of Sheffield; Rawson, Mary Anne, fl 1799-1880, of Wincobank, Sheffield

Contents:

Family correspondence of the Read family of Royds Mill and of Mrs Mary Anne Rawson (nee Read) of Wincobank, Sheffield (part of H J Wilson Manuscripts).

Letters: Read family 1799-c 1850 (some to 1880) including letters from Ebenezer Smith of chesterfield Iron Works 1801-1826. Subjects include anti-slavery, total abstinence, Mill Hill School (one, 1811), local chapels.

Papers: relating to Wincobank, including school and chapel, and Derwent Hall (purchased by John Read 1831).

The contents of this catalogue are the copyright of Sheffield Archives

Guest Gramps

wincobank hall has just been uncovered at the moment archiologists are there i went up a few weeks ago to have a look its really interesting you can see all the cellar and the old walls.

It will be interesting to see what they find of medieval or earlier occupancy on the site. I believe the old 'Hall' was built on the site of an earlier farmstead.

Rawson family papers

The hierarchical structure of this catalogue is shown below.

See the entire contents of the catalogue instead

Held by Sheffield Archives

Reference 199-RAWSON

Covering dates 1779-c 1880

Creators Read family of Sheffield; Rawson, Mary Anne, fl 1799-1880, of Wincobank, Sheffield

Contents:

Family correspondence of the Read family of Royds Mill and of Mrs Mary Anne Rawson (nee Read) of Wincobank, Sheffield (part of H J Wilson Manuscripts).

Letters: Read family 1799-c 1850 (some to 1880) including letters from Ebenezer Smith of chesterfield Iron Works 1801-1826. Subjects include anti-slavery, total abstinence, Mill Hill School (one, 1811), local chapels.

Papers: relating to Wincobank, including school and chapel, and Derwent Hall (purchased by John Read 1831).

The contents of this catalogue are the copyright of Sheffield Archives

I agree but where would that be published ? Last time I passed it looked as though the new building work had started :o

Sorry to answer my own question see the bottom of this page

http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/planning-and-c...rchaeology/news

Report not submitted yet!

Hello Paul - we are still awaiting a report from the field team, ARCUS.

When we do receive the report, it will be available for public

consultation here in our office (as part of the Sites & Monuments

Record). We can't copy reports, as the copyright remains with the field

team. So, you may want to come in and have a look at the report and, if

it's of interest, then contact ARCUS direct to ask for a copy.

Hope this helps,

South Yorkshire Archaeology Service

Howden House

1 Union Street

Sheffield

S1 2SH

Guest Trefcon

There are paintings/photographs of Mary Anne Rawson and her daughter at Wincobank Chapel, i think theres a painting of the Hall as well and how it used to look in the original landscape. I'll endeavour to get some pics.

Dean.