Street map of heeley c1950

Paul Heathcote

I am trying to obtain a street map of heeley showing individual housing around the 1950's.  I have seen an ordnance survey which is adequate but it has a water mark and does not allow for additions, such as inclusion of family names etc.

I was born 1948 and spent my formative years at 13 kent road.  Presently trying to put together ancestry files for my daughter so when she gets an interest she won't have to go through this.  Any help out there will be greatly appreciated.

3 minutes ago, SteveHB said:

Why would a watermark cause problems?

3 minutes ago, SteveHB said:

Why would a watermark cause problems?

It obscures the section of the map that really interests me, ie Kent Rd nr the junction with Gleadless Rd and the OS map does not allow me to add detail such as notes against specific locations

1 minute ago, Paul Heathcote said:

It obscures the section of the map that really interests me, ie Kent Rd nr the junction with Gleadless Rd and the OS map does not allow me to add detail such as notes against specific locations

What map?

If you are referring to the 1950's OS maps on here, they were marked for a specific reason, they are within ordnance survey copyright.

Hi Paul,

I lived on Gleadless Road, 40 or 50 yards from your house from 1940 to the end of the 60's.

Can't help with the map I'm afraid. I use the OS map and it's unfortunate where the watermark falls.

When we were little kids, we used to wait at the back of your house because the old lamplighter used to come and light the gas lamp in the corner of the Ginnel or Gennel,as we pronounced it.

Most of my pals lived within yards of your house and I have  quite a few local photos if you are interested.

The watermarking on the Old-Maps website is much less intrusive and a reasonable job of removing it can be made using the free Photofiltre program - example below.

Old-Maps link: Heeley 1950

heeley.png.bf2113f7a308e37282c19b6ee0b87f9a.png

• Like 1

On 07/09/2020 at 08:55, Edmund said:

The watermarking on the Old-Maps website is much less intrusive and a reasonable job of removing it can be made using the free Photofiltre program - example below.

Old-Maps link: Heeley 1950

heeley.png.bf2113f7a308e37282c19b6ee0b87f9a.png

My maternal Aspinall family all lived in the houses at the bottom of Cambridge Road, nos 130/32/34 for many years from around mid/late 1800's. There stood a "hoarding" (advertising board) at the bottom of Carter Road round the corner from where they lived.

I lived there until 1953 when we were given a council house and can clearly recall the toilet block being elevated in the back garden.

Names I  remember from around there are Pashley and Thompson.

Regards,

Duffems