Hillsborough Barracks

John Cartwright

Hillsborough_Barracks_Plan marked.jpg

HillsbarracksOS.jpg

When I left school in 1963 I started work at a printers located in Hillsborough Barracks. The Compositors Room overlooked Burdalls Buildings which were at a lower level towards Penistone Road but the window behind my station which was in the corner of the room also overlooked what I can only describe as a court yard, slightly larger than a squash or handball court surrounded by probably 15ft high walls, with the rear wall slightly higher.

The only way in was to go down some steps round the back of our works to a doorway in the corner. It was perfect for ball games and as teenagers we took advantage at lunchtime, but it was not encouraged by the boss as people complained. I never saw anyone else in the court yard.  I attach a plan of the barracks that I found. The location is at the bottom about a third way along from Langsett Road just along from where Sheffield Insulations were/are. I've marked the court yard in yellow and the printers in red but unfortunately I cannot read the writing. I've looked at picture sheffield  and there is a photo of the prison exercise yard that is very similar, but it is not the one I remember. Can anyone help.

I've just found it on the OS 25ins 1892-1914 Map, marked it in yellow you can see the steps going down into it.

I've answered my own question! Found this picture on picturesheffield.com    2062842001_HillsBBallcourt.jpg.19533f563109913af17e17a3e41ae388.jpg 

It is a Ball Court! Next question, what ball games?

• Like 1

My G/G/Grandfather and his twin, both serving in the Queen's Bays, were stationed there until they retired from the Army.They originated  from near Dundalk in Ireland. Upon retirement they both stayed in Sheffield. One opened his own smithy, near Solly Street, and the other became a Publican but eventually a Chelsea Pensioner.