S.Osborn & Co

Kalfred

Hello, the mark below that was carried on blades of some table knives I saw on line. 

1776914860_OsbornCoSouthampton.jpg.68b87d4c76633ff63a583503ceb59280.jpg

Yes, I did see that it said Osborn & Co of Southampton and not Sheffield but I thought it could be a little bit of research for me. I guessed maybe Osborn & Co was a jeweller, retailer or ironmonger. However information was very sparse although one of the early false trails was the image below showing the company name "S.Osborn & Co Ltd" of Sheffield.

601903064_OsbornSCoFileSheffieldcomp.jpg.1f3b77b7eb3ce0ff8b8a892e9f9d4de8.jpg

What a contrast when the Sheffield S Osborn & Co was researched on line. Plenty of information is generated. The marks shown on the stem of the file must be those of Samuel Osborn & Co Ltd of Sheffield.

Wikipedia have a section on the company, and Grace's Guide has a history including adverts at

https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Samuel_Osborn_and_Co
and there are 2 National Archive references.

The adverts shown by Grace's Guide give Clyde Works as the base.  Files and rasps are usually mentioned and the "Hand" and "Heart" pictorial mark is frequently shown.
On our Forum "Samuel Osborn" generates more than 80 references however, zero references in the "Made in Sheffield" section. So now there is a starter here.

Kalfred 

5 hours ago, Kalfred said:

Hello, the mark below that was carried on blades of some table knives I saw on line. 

1776914860_OsbornCoSouthampton.jpg.68b87d4c76633ff63a583503ceb59280.jpg

Yes, I did see that it said Osborn & Co of Southampton and not Sheffield but I thought it could be a little bit of research for me. I guessed maybe Osborn & Co was a jeweller, retailer or ironmonger. However information was very sparse although one of the early false trails was the image below showing the company name "S.Osborn & Co Ltd" of Sheffield.

601903064_OsbornSCoFileSheffieldcomp.jpg.1f3b77b7eb3ce0ff8b8a892e9f9d4de8.jpg

What a contrast when the Sheffield S Osborn & Co was researched on line. Plenty of information is generated. The marks shown on the stem of the file must be those of Samuel Osborn & Co Ltd of Sheffield.

Wikipedia have a section on the company, and Grace's Guide has a history including adverts at

https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Samuel_Osborn_and_Co
and there are 2 National Archive references.

The adverts shown by Grace's Guide give Clyde Works as the base.  Files and rasps are usually mentioned and the "Hand" and "Heart" pictorial mark is frequently shown.
On our Forum "Samuel Osborn" generates more than 80 references however, zero references in the "Made in Sheffield" section. So now there is a starter here.

Kalfred 

Re: "Osborn & Co of Southampton"

"Blitzed during the Second World War in 1940, Osborn and Company, tool merchants and cutlers, returned to its old site at 9, High Street, Southampton, in August 1952."

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/18.osborn-and-company-returned-to-business-in-1952

Thank you "SteveHB"  for your quick response to my post.  Your little seed of  information "Henry Osborn" immediately grew into a 2 stem tree.  The second stem did grow a little bit closer to "us" though as "Henry Osborn Ltd" had a Newcastle branch. Based at various addresses over time, the Merchant, of a diverse range of tools and machinery probably traded there up to the 1960's.

Kalfred