Sheffield United Harriers Walking club

Guest Desy

Guest Desy

Remember as a kid going all over the North with The Sheffield United Harriers walking club. The reason for this is that they were taken nearley everywhere by my grandfathers coaches. In fact I was given an inscribed silver tea service inscribed" Presented to G Whiteley Esq in appreciation for his services to the Sheffield United Walkers 1953". I know that they are part of the Hallamshire harriers now.

Guest Old Canny Street Kid

Remember as a kid going all over the North with The Sheffield United Harriers walking club. The reason for this is that they were taken nearley everywhere by my grandfathers coaches. In fact I was given an inscribed silver tea service inscribed" Presented to G Whiteley Esq in appreciation for his services to the Sheffield United Walkers 1953". I know that they are part of the Hallamshire harriers now.

Remember Jim Hackwood and Frank Clay, two of the greatest unpaid servants any sport ever had. Also the Holland brothers, lol and Bill Allen, Albert Johnson, and many more.

Guest Old Canny Street Kid

Is the Sheffield United Walking Section now a part of Hallamshire Harriers --really?

Incidentally, some intresting stuff on SUH, walkers and famous old local "peds" on Sheffield Indexers. Might be worth getting some of those folks to post some pix on here --though, of course, there ARE some such pix already on other threads re the Star Walk and suchlike.

Guest Jamescooke

Is the Sheffield United Walking Section now a part of Hallamshire Harriers --really?

Incidentally, some intresting stuff on SUH, walkers and famous old local "peds" on Sheffield Indexers. Might be worth getting some of those folks to post some pix on here --though, of course, there ARE some such pix already on other threads re the Star Walk and suchlike.

My father Harry Cooke was a member of Sheffield United Harriers, he was a keen walker.

Sheffield United Walking Club were part of Sheffield United Harriers , in 1976 the running side of Sheffield United Harriers became part of Sheffield Athletic Club , the walkers remained as a separate unit outside of this .At some time in the last decade Sheffield Athletic Club became City of Sheffield Athletic Club and the walkers rejoined. They were never part of Hallamshire.

My father Harry Cooke was a member of Sheffield United Harriers, he was a keen walker.

​Remember Harry very well , he was the pilot (cyclist )of all Sheffield United Harriers races and major races that took part 

In the 50's/60's/70's.

My Dad was Bill Abson5a7f246e11512_Sheffwalkers.thumb.jpg.53eaa6894a3ad2dcb7c575ee430610eb.jpg. He is in this picture on lowest standing row, second right in red and white stripes. The man seated just below him was known as 'Toddles'. Other names I remember are Jim Hackwood and Frank Clay but I don't know where they are on the photo. I think there was another Clay - possibly a brother. I don't know when the photo was taken; it was possibly before the war. Dad took part in an England team in Holland in 1938. He emigrated to Australia in 1950 and returned in 1955 but I don't think he competed after his return. He died in 1959 aged 47. I remember travelling a few times by coach to walking races in the mid fifties, certainly to Birmingham, and all the singalongs  on the way home. Also at road races in Sheffield giving out sponges and pieces of orange. I have a few medals of Dad's; one is Eastleigh 50km walk 1945, another is Birmingham 25 miles outer circle 12 July 1930 awarded for finishing in under 4hrs 45 mins. He was 19 at the time.

Welcome to Sheffield History JennyT

Don't worry about the photo size. It should automatically resize to fit the screen, with the full size version available for viewing with a couple of clicks of the mouse.

This has just appeared of Sheffield Forum:

Hello,

I am a Producer on a prime-time BBC Two social history series called Back in Time for the Corner Shop and we are  looking for someone who won the Star Walk in the 1980s.

Following the success of previous BAFTA nominated series’ including Back in Time for Dinner and Back in Time for Tea - which regularly reached audiences of 3 million - this new programme will see a modern family transported through one hundred years of domestic and working life as they live and work in a corner shop in the heart of a working-class community.  

Guided by presenter Sara Cox and historian Polly Russell, one Sheffield-based family will experience what life was like for working families in Yorkshire as they wear the clothes, eat the food and experience the lifestyle of a different decade each week, reflecting on the social and economic changes of the era.

As part of our 1980s programme we are going to recreate a 1980s star walk, and would love for someone to take part with us who remembers doing it, and maybe even winning it in the eighties.

If anyone springs to mind do let me know. I can be contacted at claire.parry@walltowall.co.uk

Kindest Regards

Claire 

69561.jpg.cd54012a0eb8e97defe87e42f64c5a01.jpgs41550

John Warhurst, long distance walker, Sheffield United Walking Club 17th July 1972. 

Photo: Sheffield Newspapers Ltd. 

Didn't know his name at the time but I do remember John Warhurst and a couple of his training partners "Walking" up Bellhouse Road passing our house on numerous occasions in the 1960's.

How do I remember him? the moustache. 

Even running, children of the area had a hard job keeping up with him. 

Winning the "Star Walk" In 1967; watching the 1972 Olympic Games in Munich and his 20 mile Gold Medal winning performance at the Commonwealth Games in 1974, it was amazing to see someone you'd seen training so hard years before doing so well. 

Includes a link to the History of the Sheffield Star Walk. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Warhurst_(athlete)

There were many from Sheffield in the following years who competed for England & Great Britain including:

Vicky Lupton. 

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s24754&pos=1&action=zoom&id=27536

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vicky_Lupton

Betty Sworoski

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betty_Sworowski

Helen Elleker

Helen Elleker (daughter of Jack Englert who was a club stalwart in the 1960's and 70's) was AAA Women’s 10 kilometres champion in 1984, 1985 and 1986. She represented England at the 1990 Commonwealth Games in Auckland. Across succeeding decades she has had a significant presence in the sport both as a competitor, coach and organiser, culminating in being RWA President. 

https://sheffieldolympiclegacypark.co.uk/best-foot-forward-at-sheffield-olympic-legacy-park-as-it-welcomes-another-olympic-event/