Mystery Industrial Works

Alan Barrow

Here is a pic of Woodhouse Mill Railway Station taken in the early 1900s. What are the chimneys and what was the industry showing behind the pic.image.png.6c4e0be6311eb1df8d883fed54f5e324.png

A bigger picture would help, but from memory of other photos I think the chimneys are those on the station building.

• Like 1

That's better, I have a copy of that picture somewhere. The stations on this line were usually of wooden construction, the MASSIVE chimneys being the major structural part off which the rest of the building was built. Although built for a different railway company, the former station at Killamarsh which was used by a props dealer was of similar construction, and when demolished  a few years ago revealed how substantial the chimneys were.

The station at Killamarsh ( used by a props dealer) is on the old GCR line and many of their smaller stations ( such as the one at Darnall....not the current travesty) were rebuilt as island platforms and even though this photo is of the Midland line it does look like an island platform. Does anyone know if that was the case?

Yes this was an island platform, there were four tracks two up and two down with the platform between, and the goods yard on the opposite side of the A57 road bridge. I've been trying to find a map showing the station as I'm not sure of how it was accessed. There may have been a way down from the road bridge, or there may have been a subway, but it was unusual for the Midland, at least in this area, to have an island platform.

The GC station at Killamarsh was a traditional two platform affair, as was Renishaw, it wasn't until you got further south that their stations became island platforms and they were built like that as there were up and down fast and slow lines. Access was usually from a road bridge down steps, like the stations on the preserved Great Central at Loughborough, Quorn and Rothley.

Just found this picture which shows things more clearly, two running lines either side. The line on the far left led into the goods yard through the road bridge.

s45337.jpg

Thanks for that....just checked and Darnall was rebuilt as an island platform in 1928. This station is now the most underused in South Yorkshire.