Mystery location

Leipzig

The photo is of my grandmother and having known, her I would date the photo around 1960. I can't say that it was taken in Sheffield, but she didn't leave the local area much. I am intrigued to try and find out where the picture was taken, a long shot I know. What is intriguing me is the stone seated camel on the wall in the background which may be a bit unusual. Is she passing out from/entering into a park, a house, or some public property or other? Any help or knowledge would be appreciated.

Dora.jpg

On 26/07/2020 at 13:31, Leipzig said:

The photo is of my grandmother and having known, her I would date the photo around 1960. I can't say that it was taken in Sheffield, but she didn't leave the local area much. I am intrigued to try and find out where the picture was taken, a long shot I know. What is intriguing me is the stone seated camel on the wall in the background which may be a bit unusual. Is she passing out from/entering into a park, a house, or some public property or other? Any help or knowledge would be appreciated.

Just a guess.... the camel was the emblem of Cammell Laird. Charles Cammell lived at Norton Hall - so perhaps there or Graves Park?

11 hours ago, Edmund said:

Just a guess.... the camel was the emblem of Cammell Laird. Charles Cammell lived at Norton Hall - so perhaps there or Graves Park?

Hi Edmund

I didn't realise that there was a connection between the Cammell family and Norton Hall, but it seems a very good suggestion, thank you.

Regards

Leipzig

Hi Leipzig, are you absolutely sure it is a Camel. The hump on the back is not very big. Is there a possibility it is a statue of a Large, Hunting Hound, as the late 1800s and early 1900s, hunting shoots were a favourite past time of the higher classes, who much revered their good dogs, and some of the hounds were huge.

On 28/07/2020 at 23:09, Edmund said:

Looking into the Cammell Laird's Cammell theirs seems to have two humps.

https://www.ukauctioneers.com/auction_catalogue.cfm?TWO-CAMMELL-LAIRD-CO-LTD-CAST-METAL-PAPER-WEIGHTS-SURMOUNTED-BY-CAMELS-ONE-5-INS-13-CMS-HIGH-ON-A-RECTANGULAR-BASE-MARKED-TOOL-STEEL-FILES-CRUCIBLE-STEEL&itemID=20E9CB0FD7D62AFDD6E3FECEFF580AEBEB2AA2CB&auction=21ECCB0FD3&action=4&rangepage=10&currentpage=1&showLots=50&sortBy=lotsort&lotView=list&imagesOnly=N

Sheffield 1A.JPG

Hi Heartshome and syrup, thank you for your replies.

My knowledge of the object in the photo is only the same as anyone else's who looks at it I'm afraid. Personally I think it is a Dromedary camel, but that is only my impression and a differing opinion from another person may be equally correct. The only thing I would say is that generally speaking, someone creating a sculpture of this sort would tend to enhance the qualities of the object they were sculpturing, and personally I don't think that a strong proud hunting dog would have been depicted with any sort of humped back. However as I say that is only my impression, and I could easily be wrong.

I have googled trade marks for Johnson Cammell & co, Charles Cammell, and Cammell Laird & Co Ltd and most of the images for the trade marks depict a Bactrian camel (two humps) and not a Dromedary camel (one hump). However I found at least two references to the Charles Cammell trademark below, which is a Dromedary Camel. However I still look at the puzzle with an open mind as I do not want to go down the route of trying to make the evidence fit a preconceived solution as it were.

Thanks again

Leipzig

1557217751_CAMMELLTrademark.png.0da0dfd7e08b2300d63ed374074e03b2.png

• Like 2

The Cammell school at the junction of Chesterfield Road and Cobnar Road has a “ Camel ” carved over the entrance of the old school,  The Cammell family provided the funds for the building of the school.

EF098128-2FED-47F9-9DBD-7A738C23FCE6.jpeg

D2FB6C8C-1EF2-43C9-B950-AD384178DC93.jpeg

Is it a camel? Based on hip/leg structure, the hump, and allowing for artistic license on behalf of the sculptor? I like the hunting hound theory, but then is the neck too long for a dog? Apologies i don't have an answer

camels.jpg.59fa3dfe898be64691babe4ca9f72f15.jpg

20 hours ago, eldomsmith said:

Is it a camel? Based on hip/leg structure, the hump, and allowing for artistic license on behalf of the sculptor? I like the hunting hound theory, but then is the neck too long for a dog? Apologies i don't have an answer

camels.jpg.59fa3dfe898be64691babe4ca9f72f15.jpg

Hia, comparing the image !  See = Amazon Uk Fiesta Studio's Harriet Glen's Greyhound Lying Down Cold Cast Bronze sculpture

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Heartshome said:

Hia, comparing the image !  See = Amazon Uk Fiesta Studio's Harriet Glen's Greyhound Lying Down Cold Cast Bronze sculpture

Hi Heartshome

Good find. If only my ancestors had been able to invest in a bit better camera equipment (presuming it was one of them who took the photo) we would have a clearer idea of what exactly the animal was, but I suspect we will never know for sure, but thanks for your input, it is appreciated. It was one of those things where realistically I didn't expect to solve my puzzle, but would have always regretted not having tried, by posting the photo on the site. My hope was that someone might have had a memory of a camel sculpture being in the area around the time of the photo, a camel perhaps being a bit rare, that was my thinking. 

Regards

Leipzig

Greyhounds.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leipzig said:

Hi Heartshome

Good find. If only my ancestors had been able to invest in a bit better camera equipment (presuming it was one of them who took the photo) we would have a clearer idea of what exactly the animal was, but I suspect we will never know for sure, but thanks for your input, it is appreciated. It was one of those things where realistically I didn't expect to solve my puzzle, but would have always regretted not having tried, by posting the photo on the site. My hope was that someone might have had a memory of a camel sculpture being in the area around the time of the photo, a camel perhaps being a bit rare, that was my thinking. 

Regards

Leipzig

Greyhounds.png

Keep hoping my friend, someone may surprise you one day. Best wishes Heartshome.

• Like 1