Stanton Broom

tozzin

I've just been researching a cutlery manufacturer and in 1856 his home address was Stanton Broom, Glossop Road, the list shows the people who were living there in 1856,  The photos show No 345 Glossop Road which seems to have been the Pizza shop, seems the area of Stanton Broom has been eradicated completely, I cant find any reference to the place, no photos, I hope someone on here may find a map, a newspaper clipping or a photo.

345 Lofthouse Mrs (Glossop Road )
 ( Stanton Broom) 
347 Howe Mrs Ann 
349 Rotherham Anthony 
351 Ellis Charles, clerk 
353 Clifton Miss Eliz. 
355 Clifton Mrs Elizabeth. 
357 Bradbury Miss 
359 Pearson Mrs A. 
361 Stead Joseph
363 Carrington Mrs
365 Hadfield Wm.
367 Bradley Thomas B ..
369 Bower Thomas.
371 Knowles Henry
373 Mitchell George
377 Naylor H. engraver:
 John Wesley College, Rev S. D. Waddy
Ward Mrs.,Mount View
Payne Mrs Ann do
----------------------------
Broomhill Terrace

Stanton Broom.jpg

345 Glossop Road.jpg

Perhaps there has been some renumbering of Glossop Road?.

This 1853 map (from old-maps.co.uk) suggests that Stanton Broom was further along Glossop Road, adjacent to the junction with Clarkhouse Road (or Lane as it was then)

stanton broom 1853.jpg

1 hour ago, madannie77 said:

Perhaps there has been some renumbering of Glossop Road?.

This 1853 map (from old-maps.co.uk) suggests that Stanton Broom was further along Glossop Road, adjacent to the junction with Clarkhouse Road (or Lane as it was then)

stanton broom 1853.jpg

I didn’t think the renumbering of properties was done until later. But the map clearly shows just where it was.

As often happens, this building numbering set me off on a map and directory search :rolleyes:

The modern image of 347 Glossop Road in the first post is the row at the top of my map extract labelled Spring (Terrace). In an 1862 Whites directory these are given as numbers 281 to 315 Glossop Road, whereas by 1879 they have been renumbered to 323 to 357.

The row of houses marked on the map as Stanton Broom are 347 onwards in an 1862 directory, which corresponds with your 1856 list, but the 1879 Whites has them numbered from 391 upwards.

Nos 391 to 413 seem to have disappeared at some point between the 1901 and 1905 Whites directories.

stanton broom 1890.jpg

stanton broom 1905.jpg

1952, with properties numbered

stanton broom 1952.jpg