Hobbs family

MartinR

My wife's grandmother was variously known as: Lilly (?Lillian) Sarah or Sarah Lilly.  She was born 7 July 1897 as Silvey in Southwark, London.  During her life she was variously known as Brown, Northrop and Hobbs.  She died in Sheffield 1 January 1976 during a visit to her son James Hobbs for Christmas.  We have no knowledge about her burial or cremation.

We think James was in the army, but don't know which regiment or when.

Does anyone have any information to add?  My wife is doing a lot of family history and has hit a brick wall here.  Thanks.

Some bits of information for you below Martin, hope some are new to you?

Sarah Lily Silvey married Joseph William Brown on 11th December 1915 at St John the Evangelist, Walthamstow.  At least one of them was living at 39 Leonard Road, London E7 (around the corner from St Saviour's church, Southwark).  Sarah Lily's father was James John Frederick Silvey, an Engineer.  Joseph's father was also called Joseph.

James Silvey married Maria Parslow in St Saviours, Southwark in quarter 2 1873.

James W Hobbs was born in quarter 2 1921 at West Ham, mother's maiden name was Brown.

James H Hobbs was born in quarter 3 1941 in Essex, mother maiden name was Silvey.

James Frederick Silvey married Maria Elizabeth Harrison in quarter 4 in St Saviours Southwark in 1882. James John Frederick Silvey was born in quarter 4 at St Saviours Southwark, his mother's maiden name was Harrison.

James John Frederick Silvey married Elizabeth F Glen in 1914 in Southwark.

Sarah Lily Northrop in 1929 was on the Polling Register at 1 Bishop's Green Villas, Great Dunmow.

Thanks for that info.  I've shown it to my wife and some of it was new.  We're still trying to work out where the Hobbs family were in Sheffield in 1976, and what happened to Sarah post mortem.