Punchbowl - Arbourthorne/Gleadless

DavePick

I've been researching the Punchbowl (Gleadless/Arbourthorne) - Sheffield Archive plans tell me: 1970 plans (Architects Department, Bass Charrington (North) Limited) - proposed plans show the introduction of a Fish Shop at the front right. 1976 plans (Wm.Stones Ltd.) saw the replacement of the fish shop by a games room with a corresponding increase in the bar area. Does anyone remember a fish and chip shop as part of the Punchbowl during this period? (1970/76)

Punchbowl_exterior2.JPG

When we left Hurlfield Boys at the end of term, I was 16, a few of us went to the Punch Bowl at lunch time, and then went to the Arbourthorne Hotel which was across the road from where I lived on Cawdor Rd.

Both landlords asked us if we were 18, ( we lied ) but they didn't seem bothered really,

I am surprised that you didn't run to any of the teachers from Hurlfield School at the Punch Bowl. I know for a fact that it was popular with them when I was at Hurlfield in the 70's.

Whenever I hear that pub name it always reminds me of the line in the Madness song - Baggy Trousers - about the teachers in the pub!

On 22/07/2020 at 19:54, DavePick said:

I've been researching the Punchbowl (Gleadless/Arbourthorne) - Sheffield Archive plans tell me: 1970 plans (Architects Department, Bass Charrington (North) Limited) - proposed plans show the introduction of a Fish Shop at the front right. 1976 plans (Wm.Stones Ltd.) saw the replacement of the fish shop by a games room with a corresponding increase in the bar area. Does anyone remember a fish and chip shop as part of the Punchbowl during this period? (1970/76)

Punchbowl_exterior2.JPG

Yes I used it regularly ,I used to live just below the punch bowl, on Durlstone drive 

• Like 1

On 27/07/2020 at 08:28, Garry Raymond Mills said:

Yes I used it regularly ,I used to live just below the punch bowl, on Durlstone drive 

Hi,

I went to Hurlfield Sch for Boys between 1963-68 (plenty of info and pics on Sheffield Schs - Hurlfield Sch for Boys. Sue has also started a Hurlfield Sch for Girls page). In the 5th yr when we were 15/16yrs I used to go in the Punch Bowl at lunch times with Ian 'Beerbone' Bickerton and Steve 'Big Will' Williams. The pub always appeared desserted in those days so we would get served. The landlord would ask if we were 18 and of course we lied, as we did in many other pubs at the time. There were many 'horror' stories about people getting caught drinking under age, especially in town with the Nelson being a favourite place to raid. I never saw one of our teachers in the Punch Bowl, which raises an interesting point - where did the teachers go at lunch time bearing in mind that we had nearly 1.5hrs? Perhaps they were in the Arbourthorn Hotel or Elm Tree? With so many pubs closed it's good to see that the Punch Bowl is still open, or was the last time I went past!

Wazzie Worrall

I had my wedding reception in The Punch Bowl in 1976. Think it cost £5 to hire the room for the evening! Those were the days.

I used to go past the Punch Bowl quite often in the early '60s. My memory is that it consisted only of the middle section, so the wings at each end must have been added later; am I right?

The Punchbowl was my local in the early 60s, my mates and myself went there every Saturday night, for a while they had a pianist and he was brilliant, all I can recall is his name which was Wilf, he was in his late twenties, he played all the songs of the day and he played  the hit Nutrocker by B. Bumble and the Stingers, it was as good as the hit record. 

• Like 1