Sheffield Ghosts and Haunted Places

Guest codeyes

Guest codeyes

Wards End is spooky.....a good place to shoot a horror flick.....and there are some living people that abide there......they all wear check shirts and dungarees and they all look the same!

and they all come out at night....I once found a body on the train lines...............we used to tie a rope to the bridge and swing backwards and forwards over the lines.......etc. you can guess the rest

Train bridge

There was also this on the hill above Wards End Cemetary/Train Bridge - kind of a cemetary above a cemetary..

You're not kidding - the damaged grave was scary - you could see right down inside it..

The last picture above that I posted shows you the huge hole that's big enough to climb down into (or out of)

Guest codeyes

Perhaps the famous and well known of all Sheffield ghosts has to be the apparition of Mary Queen of Scots that haunts Manor Castle. Now the ghost of Mary Queen of Scots has appeared all over the country, but seems to be a regular inhabitant of the old Turret House of Manor Castle.

Way back in the 15th century the castle was the property of the Earl of Shrewsbury and on the orders of Queen Elizabeth, the young Scottish Queen was imprisoned there and so the Turret House became Mary’s prison for fourteen long years.

The strange happenings were first recorded by the caretakers of the building during the 1930’s and tales of a beautiful lady, dressed in black, gliding across the floor and through walls were also circulating. Although the people who lived in the house at the time refused to discuss the ghost, it was reported to have been seen by many people.

People who stayed at the house often left in the middle of the night and refused to go back again even in daylight. The dog that lived there would bark and whimper frantically if left outside on its own and cower in a corner if let inside.

Perhaps the strangest of all the occurrences that happened at the Castle was the story of an old extremely heavy incense burner kept on the top floor in the shape of an imp used to keep evil spirits away. One night everyone in the house was awakened by loud banging coming from upstairs. Upon checking the entire house it was found nothing was amiss. A while later the noises started again. Again nothing was found to be amiss, but to be sure they marked a chalk circle around the burner and again retired to bed. After a very sleepless night they awoke the next morning and went to check the burner, which although far too heavy to move by even four grown men was completely outside the circle.

Maybe the ghost of Mary Queen of Scots will haunt the Turret House for as long as it still stands or even when the Turrent House is long gone. Maybe it’s just the over active imagination of the people who have lived or stayed there that conjured up the spirit of a long dead Scottish Queen.

Guest lesvegas

The ones I've heard of since I was a kid:

Middlewood Hospital - ward 8 - ghost of a lady

The one up loxley (the long road - forgot it's name) where people can see a headless man ?

Long Lane :D

Reports of an 10 foot tall apirition more than once, its in a Sheffield ghosts book but i dont have it anymore

Ahhhh... Another one I researched in the past (and probably one of the most famous 'ghostly' stories from out of Britain) - 'Spring Heeled Jack'

A ghost like entity with the ability to jump tremendous distances in height and length.

In the newspaper clippings of 1808, a letter to the Editor of the Sheffield Times tells of an early encounter with Spring Heeled Jack.

An 19th Century 'legend' that actaully REAPPEARED in the 1970's.

1970's, JACK'S RETURN?

I came across the following stories quite by accident, I was actually investigating a claim by a witness that they had seen a UFO, when I asked them if they had any other encounters of the paranormal, they began to tell me about the strange encounters of Westbury Street, Attercliffe, Sheffield. I knew there had been many strange sightings at Attercliffe from the many reports I received from different witnesses over the past ten years.

I can only assume that during the 1970's the strangeness level had been turned up to eleven (Not ten..). Reports of huge birds, black dogs, UFOs, ghosts and "strange entities" are common from this area, but in 1977 the Sheffield Council leveled the greater part of this area. The witness began to tell me about the "Prowler" of Westbury Street, "When we moved into our house in 1973, our neighbours told us to be careful at night because there had been trouble with a prowler. Apparently he had knocked on windows, punched men and grabbed women. We were also told this is the reason why there were police cars always parked at the end of the road. One night, I was coming back from town with my new boyfriend when we saw a dark figure slip into one of the alleyways, we were cautious and decided to walk in the middle of the road, slowly we walked passed the alleyway.

Suddenly we noticed two bright red circles, they came closer then we realised it was his eyes. We began to run and my boyfriend felt something hit his back, he turned around and lying on the floor was a pitchfork type tool, like a hay fork, he picked it up then we ran home. We contacted the police and a Sergeant Trevor Basendale, came and took the fork away for evidence..the strange thing is he didn't offer no explanation at all for what we saw."

The witness's father then decided to tell his story, "I always remember one night we heard laughter coming from our attic, we also heard banging and shouting. Reluctantly, I had a look. The attics of the terraced houses of Westbury Street were not cordoned off, and somehow the prowler had got into the attics, there were five maybe more people chasing after him across the beams. I always remember that one of them put his foot through our next door neighbours ceiling, the strange thing is though was that the prowler ran across the ceilings without crashing through. This lasted for about half an hour, the prowler laughed all the time." "Can you describe him?" I asked. "Oh, he was tall, very tall 6 feet 6inches at least, dressed in black, he also had a black cape that night, but his face I can't remember just those burning red eyes, I honestly think he was the Devil."

I was very intrigued about these sightings than the actual sighting I was there for. I must say though, I took a pinch of salt with the sightings, after all it was twenty years ago. Then two weeks later I received a phone call from a chap in Worksop, Notts. He lived in Westbury Street in the 70's and wanted to report a UFO sighting that took place. After taking his sighting I politely asked if I could ask him some questions. The first being "Do you know anything about a prowler?".

The reply was quite shocking, "Oh, you mean him who ran up the side of buildings? I replied "Yes." "Well, I never saw him personally but I heard all about him, about the mid seventies we moved to a road off Broughton Lane. They were nice small houses, over looking Attercliffe and Westbury Street. Our next-door neighbour was a lovely old woman, a real salt of the earth type and not the kind to believe in the paranormal. One day she came round to our house quite shaken, when we asked her what was up, She told us that she had seen the prowler.

The night before she was looking over Attercliffe looking towards the Steel Works when she saw a figure "jumping" across the roof tops. At first she thought it was a thief running away from the police but then she noticed he was jumping huge distances, sometimes twenty to thirty foot, this scared her. This lasted about five minutes until she watched him walk down the side of a pub's wall and into the scrap yard. I have no reason to doubt her, and she certainly wasn't one for telling lies." My investigation then lead me to "check out" the witnesses, the records showed that they lived on Westbury Street at different times, and therefore a chance they didn't know each other, I had asked and both denied knowledge of each other. The records also showed that the 2nd witness did live near Tinsley Park Road.

I checked the local papers but nothing was ever reported, the only interesting fact I did find was the high rate of strange deaths in Attercliffe. Many people died in very strange circumstances, some were found with their necks broken, stabbed to death in their caravans, very gruesome indeed but I very much doubt it had anything to do with Spring Heeled Jack. I decided to ask the witnesses what had happened to the prowler? Both told the following story, "One night, the police had followed him from Woodburn Road across the rooftops, as usual he was laughing and dancing, goading the police. Two coppers went after him across the roofs but he ran down the side of the buildings on Arris Street.

He then went into the yard of Dexel Tyres (still standing) and that is where the police surrounded him in the back room. The police got the order to get him, then the prowler disappeared. There was no trace of him at all. We never saw him again. Sgt Trevor Basendale, told us never to mention it to anyone, which we haven't up to now and we now know he transferred to a different station." As quickly as he appeared, the legend of Spring Heeled Jack disappeared again, will he be back in another 100 years time? Is he a fantasy figure running through our folklore like fairies and elves? Is he an old wife's tale or merely a manifestation of the Universal Prankster?

(abridged from : http://www.mysterymag.com/hauntedbritain/i...mp;page=article )

Guest mattjon

My ex wifes grandfather was a celler man in the Marples Hotel from around 1978 to about 1985. He has told us stories about hearing piano music and old war time songs being sung in an apparent recreation of a party that was being held on the night the Marples was destroyed in The Blitz.

As he worked down their on his own it must have been one heck of a spooky feeling!!

I might go on the Sheffield ghost tour tonight.........

If I do, I'll take the camera and report back on here later!

I think you could sleep in Wardsend Cemetery every night of the year and the only possible harm you'd come to would be from living humans...or perhaps your imagination. I was up there last year looking for an ancestors grave and the real danger is the state of the headstones. It would be like getting run over by a steam roller if one came over on top of you.

Guest longleyboy

around wardsend cemetery was our playground when we were a lot younger (seems a daft thing to do looking back) across the tip over the white bridge and down the cinder path to the graveyard and river.

Dont noif anybody knows or cares but there is someone who does a ghost hunt/walk round sheffield i thinks its advertised on sheffield city council website or something along them lines sorry info is a bit sketchey but few weeks since i looked n give up hope of going on it cos couldnt drum up interest of people i know, i know there is some good stories about paradise square etc or if anyone has been on it if it was any good?cheers

The pics in post 27, thats the bridge to the upper graveyard, ploughed over now grass and trees.

Last Sexton I believe was Thomas Henry Gratton, a mate says one of his kids went to hillfoot School

Dont noif anybody knows or cares but there is someone who does a ghost hunt/walk round sheffield i thinks its advertised on sheffield city council website or something along them lines sorry info is a bit sketchey but few weeks since i looked n give up hope of going on it cos couldnt drum up interest of people i know, i know there is some good stories about paradise square etc or if anyone has been on it if it was any good?cheers

Hi mate -

I went on the tour on Monday - I'll post more details later. ;-)

Guest fredmciverslovechild

My mum used to work as a cleaner at Brook School on Richmond Road back in the 1960's and 1970's; as I've lived in Essex for more than twenty years I've not been round that area for ages and have a feeling it was demolished some time ago.

That whole area used to be part of the estate of the old Manor Lodge and I can remember the big old house that used to be there which was demolished round about 1962 or so. There used to be brick built gateposts on Richmond Road at the very top of Ravenscroft Road which marked the entrance to the estate and Brook School itself was built on the site of the former hunting lodge.

Anyhow Brook School's caretaker from when my mum was there used to tell her about all the ghostly goings on within the school. The caretaker saw the headless ghost of a coachman on many, many occasions within the school and my mum told me on many occasions of lights mysteriously switching themselves on in locked up parts of the school. Naturally they left it to the caretaker to switch them off!

Perhaps someone could tell me if Brook School does still exist or, if not, what is there now?

Guest tsavo

The Brook School site was taken over by Richmond College (later the Sheffield College) in the 80s. The college site was derelict the last time I saw it. Don't know about the Brook site though.

Guest benjybok

My nan was laid to rest in wardsend and it`s in a terrible state now.

I also remember the last burial was in the late 70s, Also many victims of the great flood are buried at wardsend.

I recently read an article about a group of people planning to restore wardsend.