Sheffield Ghosts and Haunted Places

Guest codeyes

Guest codeyes

There must be hundreds of recorded and personal experiences of things that go bump in the night. Post experiences here.

The ones I've heard of since I was a kid:

Middlewood Hospital - ward 8 - ghost of a lady

The one up loxley (the long road - forgot it's name) where people can see a headless man ?

Guest codeyes

I met one ( or the prescence of one).......................

In 1969, I worked evenings at the Park Cinema, which was no longer a picyure house but a Star Bingo. One of my jobs at the end of the night was to go upstairs to the Circle ( which was no longer used) and turn out all the lights ( some of which were the old gaslights).

One evening as I was going in to one of the upstairs corridors from the Main Circle to turn out the corridor lights I felt a rush of cold air and an overpowering smell of violets and the gas light on the wall belw out. I had a torch so apart from freaking a bit at the initial shock I "calmly" ran out. I was told the story at the time about a young woman who was either murdered or disappeared around there but I can't remember the ins and outs. I'll see if I can chase the research up about the Park Cinema.

Actually I've heard about that place - and the upstairs.

Someone was telling me the other day about it - coincidence or what !

Would love more information on the Park Cinema - and any pics you can find..

The following website would be a good place for you to start your quest..

LOST CINEMAS OF SHEFFIELD - http://www.rocknroll.f9.co.uk/cinemas/cintable.html

Guest codeyes

Actually I've heard about that place - and the upstairs.

Someone was telling me the other day about it - coincidence or what !

Would love more information on the Park Cinema - and any pics you can find..

The following website would be a good place for you to start your quest..

LOST CINEMAS OF SHEFFIELD - http://www.rocknroll.f9.co.uk/cinemas/cintable.html

I used to play snooker next door when I was around 15-16 before it was Century Motors......Cheers

Ah..

I'd heard about the snooker there, and presumed it was in the same building as the cinema ?

So - was the snooker hall the same building as the car place or was it knocked down ?

There is actually a Ghost-tour of Sheffield (every wednesday, I think?) starting at the Town Hall:

Just found the site: http://www.steelcityghosttours.co.uk/

Obviously the most famous haunted location in Sheffield is the Queens Head in the City Centre (bus station), although the Carbrook Hall likes to stake claim on most haunted building in Sheffield.

There are lots and lots of other places, like what is now the Boardwalk and several buildings by the Victoria Quays.

There's a new Ghost-Investigation group said to be starting up in Sheffield soon, too - http://www.spirit-seekers.co.uk ;-)

Personal experiences: My earliest memory is of seeing a ghost whilst living at Park Hill flats at about 3 years old? Also, Myself and Neil both saw a ghost in his old house at Wincobank, and other things too...

Just lightened the picture up a bit

What's that in the top left hand windows ?? It's not too clear but I'm sure I can see something ?

Can you make it out ?

ha ha ha !!

:lol: :D

Once spoke to the landlord and barstaff and all are adamant that the place is spooky and haunted.

Another place mentioned a lot about Supernatural Sheffield is the area of and arouind Stocksbridge Bypass. Said to be haunted by a Ghostly Monk, Dancing Children and more, it was featured in an episode of Michael Aspel's 'Strange But True' in the 90's and if you do a google search, you'll find loads of stories and investigations.

Talk about getting the wrong person for the job - Michael Aspel ?

he he

Wonder why they chose him for a supernatural programme ?

Actually, it was because they thought Parkinson did well in the anchor role on the BBC spoof show 'Ghostwatch' the previous year so they wanted someone 'like him' to present their new supernatural show.

Seriously ?

By the way - we went to Wards End Cemetary at the back of Owlerton greyhound track yesterday to get some pictures for this site.

How eerie is that place ?

Open graves, vandalised gravestones and overgrown hugely

Very depressing and there's hundreds and hundreds of dead people just lying there getting abused and vandalised

I wouldn't go there at night - that's for sure..

Looks like one resident had enough and decided to get the hell out of there..

Guest codeyes

Seriously ?

By the way - we went to Wards End Cemetary at the back of Owlerton greyhound track yesterday to get some pictures for this site.

How eerie is that place ?

Open graves, vandalised gravestones and overgrown hugely

Very depressing and there's hundreds and hundreds of dead people just lying there getting abused and vandalised

I wouldn't go there at night - that's for sure..

Looks like one resident had enough and decided to get the hell out of there..

There used to be cooling towers down there as well....years ago.........Is the scrapyard still there?

Coopers scrapyard is there still - although I could see the sign and saw some blokes up there I couldn't see any scrap ?

Bizarre..