Jump to content

Recommended Posts

leksand

Not sure whether this is helpful or not, but when glancing at the writing to the side initially thought I read Daniel Hill. Could it possibly be a corrupted version of a scrawled note which fortuitously became recognisable again through reading at a peculiar angle?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Hopman

Is it Twitch Hill Hall?

There's a Twitch Hill in Horbury, but I don't know of any reference to Crookes.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
boginspro
4 minutes ago, Hopman said:

Is it Twitch Hill Hall?

There's a Twitch Hill in Horbury, but I don't know of any reference to Crookes.

Thanks, Yes I can now see Twitch but likewise don't understand the reference to Crookes.

 

11 hours ago, leksand said:

Not sure whether this is helpful or not, but when glancing at the writing to the side initially thought I read Daniel Hill. Could it possibly be a corrupted version of a scrawled note which fortuitously became recognisable again through reading at a peculiar angle?

Thanks , but I can't see Daniel in it, I tried to think of all the hills in the area that it may be but came up with nothing. I now think Hopman is correct with the word Twitch, if so it is now a question of the link with Crookes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Stu_1981

There is also a Twitch Hill in Hope. I found reference to a Twitch Hall Farm in newspapers from late 1880s to 1920s. The postcard seems to show a collection of buildings rather than a 'hall'.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
boginspro
5 hours ago, Stu_1981 said:

There is also a Twitch Hill in Hope. I found reference to a Twitch Hall Farm in newspapers from late 1880s to 1920s. The postcard seems to show a collection of buildings rather than a 'hall'.

Thanks, I didn't know about that one so that area is a strong possibility, though there is still the difficulty with the Crookes reference. There is a house called Twitch Hill, grade 2 listed, near the top of Twitch Hill in Horbury but I can't see any resemblance to the old photo'.

twitch_hill.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
rover1949

I see Troitch is the handwriting, looking at the r and o in Crookes>

Link to post
Share on other sites
Edmund

"Twitch" seems to be related to winding roads on hills.

157090188_Twitch-Glossary.png.4b92b8cdf830facfa14c36872c1680c1.png

On June 21st 1568 Richard Stanyfurth attended the Manor court to arrange rental of a parcel of land called Twytchill to John Shirtcliffe for six years.  The west end of it contained three acres within the soke of Southey.

Twitch Hill Farm near Hope is mentioned here in 1879:

496609959_Twitch-IllustratedGuide1879.png.0d5e03a053c09dbe0783836a89764221.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
Heartshome

Hia all, just to add another name to the mix. I have spoken to my friend who grew up in Crookes, where her Gran had a

shop till the '50s. She remembers the name ' DROICH' and this spelling, but has no idea where it was.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Stu_1981
On 14/07/2020 at 20:38, Heartshome said:

Hia all, just to add another name to the mix. I have spoken to my friend who grew up in Crookes, where her Gran had a

shop till the '50s. She remembers the name ' DROICH' and this spelling, but has no idea where it was.

Very interesting @Heartshome. There could be many alternative spellings of this too: Droich, Droicht, Droitch.... I found this article about the a possible meaning of Droich. 

 

Droich.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
RichK
On 08/07/2020 at 11:24, Stu_1981 said:

There is also a Twitch Hill in Hope. I found reference to a Twitch Hall Farm in newspapers from late 1880s to 1920s. The postcard seems to show a collection of buildings rather than a 'hall'.

Twitchhill Farm is still there, it's on the track up to Win Hill. It too is a collection of buildings from my memory of running past it. This is the best I can get of it:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Win+Hill/@53.3571228,-1.7357808,194a,35y,39.34t/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x487a2b44aef9ce55:0x9aa18e84d646310e!8m2!3d53.3625368!4d-1.7204466

Feels very tenuous. Presumably the photographer would have written the location on the postcard, and they often made mistakes? Are there other "crookes" around the country?

Link to post
Share on other sites
RichK

The only hall listed anywhere near Crookes on the 1855 map is Lydgate Hall, which I've tried to convince myself the Troitch was trying to be. A non native sheffielder, on a photography trip might struggle with "lyd-gate" or "ligget", but.....nah even I can't get that past myself. Could that T be an L? Nah.

I can't find many pictures of Lydgate Hall but it looks like a single large building. Nah again.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...