Water Pumps

southside

Old maps of Greenhill show an abundance of Water Pumps scattered about the village.

The only Pump left in Greenhill is the one in this photograph! its located on the Main Road going through the village. The map from 1898 shows the location of all the Pumps & Wells in the village (14 pumps and at least 4 wells)

Right up until the early 2000s there was another Water Pump in the village, it was opposite the old Forge! it was damaged by builders and removed. Years ago i was told by a Landlord of The White Swan about a covered over well in the back room of the pub!

Are there any other locations in Sheffield where you can see the original Water Pump? 

Greenhill Water Pump.jpg

Greenhill 1898.jpg

Interesting. Does your map extend over to Norton by any chance as I'd like to see if there are any around there. I know theres one near Norton at the top of Cobnar Rd, that is still there today.

a00150.jpg

2 hours ago, southside said:

Are there any other locations in Sheffield where you can see the original Water Pump? 

Bolsterstone pump :-

bolsterstone_pump.png

EDIT - also a couple from posts on here may be still there if the nutters haven't got at them. -

4 hours ago, southside said:

Old maps of Greenhill show an abundance of Water Pumps scattered about the village.

The only Pump left in Greenhill is the one in this photograph! its located on the Main Road

Greenhill Water Pump.jpg

The pump is grade 2 listed, mid 19th century

Thanks Guys

Here`s the 1898 map of Norton for you LeadFarmer , also the pump at the top of Cobnar Road

Norton.jpg

Norton.jpg(2).jpg

• Thanks 1

Slightly off topic but I used live about 50 yards from the Greenhill pump. If you dug down about 4 feet, there was solid rock with about 6 inches of standing water on it.

This probably accounts for the number of pumps & wells there in bygone times.

The one on Carterknowle road that featured here is still there and looking good after its derusting and painting.

I'm looking into Sheffield's surviving water pumps at the moment and any information or examples gratefully received. The one on Carterknowle Rd is claimed as being 17th century. That looks too early to me - any info on that?

Grade II Listed Water Pump and Trough, south of Presbytery in the grounds of St. Joseph's R.C. Church, St. Joseph's Road Handsworth. 

Listing NGR: SK4101986320

s33405.jpg.3d6400499e621181cbd0a62c53f0bdf0.jpgs33405

"Water pump and trough. 1881. Round cast-iron pump with fluted top and domed cover. Rectangular stone trough. Included for group value."

On 07/07/2020 at 12:55, Calvin72 said:

I know a slightly hidden away one off Upwell St (dated 1836). When I googled it I found it is listed.

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1247490

Grimesthorpe Village Pump (dated 1836), Upwell Street. 

y02944.jpg.8512225c4ba550d323deb2b1e2fe40e3.jpgy02944

Date Period:1920-1939. y00065.jpg.9c7c175b2b274a10fb9d76f6574eca6f.jpgy00065  Photographer: George Launders. 

Water Pump situated behind Grimesthorpe Wesleyan Reform Church. 2005.

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;t10631&pos=4&action=zoom&id=92153

From Sheffield Newspapers dated 1977/02/09. A search of the newspaper archive may contain more information with the photograph. 

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s33404&pos=16&action=zoom&id=67728