Sheffielder builds his very own pub

Sheffield History

Can't help but feel it's all a bit sad. Sat , perhaps,with a couple of mates, ( in a similar bubble) having a cig and drinking a beer in a wooden shed? Not my idea of a night out...That said, my youngest daughter-in-law and her husband, have a brick built extension complete with a dedicated bar....Still, I'd sooner have gone to my local had a pint, a cig and a natter with other like minded blokes...Sadly, like Sheffield History its a tale from the past!

• Like 1

Saw an article the other day that around six Sheffield pubs will not (never) be reopening after the lockdown is lifted in July. A few others will open at a later date, due to making them safe.

So if one of them was his local, he's dodge a bullet there!

• Like 1

My reflections were of a by-gone age...sadly missed by some....never known by others and even a few thought "good riddance"!

• Like 1

On 02/07/2020 at 12:06, History dude said:

Saw an article the other day that around six Sheffield pubs will not (never) be reopening after the lockdown is lifted in July. A few others will open at a later date, due to making them safe.

So if one of them was his local, he's dodge a bullet there!

He lives near me in S11. Most pubs seem to be slowly opening up here.

Pat's a fantastic guy and a genuine enthusiast. He certainly won't be sad in his new pub - wish I had the space to do the same. Meck do and mend.

By definition ,how can a private, unlicensed, drinking "hole" ever be a "Public House"? It is what it is... a shed,.. furnished to represent something it is not...That's why I think it all rather sad....but, hey, I am a traditionalist who regrets the demise of so many of the "pubs" I once knew and loved!

On 09/07/2020 at 09:56, lysandernovo said:

By definition ,how can a private, unlicensed, drinking "hole" ever be a "Public House"? It is what it is... a shed,.. furnished to represent something it is not...That's why I think it all rather sad....but, hey, I am a traditionalist who regrets the demise of so many of the "pubs" I once knew and loved!

The secret is to fantasize, the secret is to smile.

Really....in my 77 years I have seldom, if ever, found "fantasizing" to have any lasting benefit prefering to deal with "reality"...but thanks for letting me into a "secret"!😌