Harry Smith

James Houston

Hello i am trying to trace any information  of Harry Smith b 1894 in Sheffield.His Father was also called Harry Smith , he married Veragh Gladys Bailey b 1896 at St Cuthberts Parish Church  in 1917 Veragh lived at 83 Bolsover Rd and Harry  had and address at 106 Hudson Rd Woolwich on his marriage Certificate .Harry Smith is a hard name to trace, Harry and Veragh had 2 sons Vivian Charles  and Derek Graham.Its alleged that he left for New Zealand on the 18/8/1921 from Southampton to Auckland and died shortly afterwards.

Would like to find out if Harry had any brothers or sisters and other family , Harry was my wife's Grandad  but very little was told to her about him.Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you .Jim Houston

Here he is in 1921 on the Remuera bound for Auckland (last name on the list)270564966_HarrySmith1921.thumb.png.2184ed4b7a455e24de108c33f3e826e9.png

The Woolwich address in 1917 would suggest he was in the army.  There are some service records for Harry Smith(s) but it's not immediately clear which one of them relate to your Harry.

Thank you Edmund this is a great find I may be able to check in Auckland to find any information   I can of his arrival and if he had an address there.I still need to try and find out his home address when he lived in Sheffield as the address in Bolsover Rd is where Veras Mother and Step Fathers house.Many Thanks for your help.

Hello again Edmond is it possible to check whether Harry and Vera Smith were on a passenger list together to NZ between 1917 to 21, Prior to Harry going on his own in 1921. Jim

That's fantastic Edmund I have the marriage Certificate but the press cutting gives me an address to check out on Census records. You are amazing thank you so much, i would like to get as much information about my wifes Grandfather as her Grandmother never gave her any information about him so thank you once again. Jim

34 minutes ago, RichardS said:

And also there in 1901

image.png.7947b281dfd9ac2fea9f09103c4c27d9.png

Thanks for these Richard , Charles Deane apparently was a retired headmaster of Lound School.Harry Smiths parents  address was Eltham Villas Vickers Rd but I Know his father was Harry Smith but can't find his mother's name they lived there in 1917 I can't find any record for Eltham Villas.Cheers Jim

17 hours ago, James Houston said:

That's fantastic Edmund I have the marriage Certificate but the press cutting gives me an address to check out on Census records. You are amazing thank you so much, i would like to get as much information about my wifes Grandfather as her Grandmother never gave her any information about him so thank you once again. Jim

18 hours ago, Edmund said:

1212295181_HarrySmith1917marriage_2.png.1817cb9bd814143fea07e428c901b34d.png

235107795_HarrySmith1917marriage.png.bd03f2d000c6da867633de997fd89e9a.png

I have tried to find Eltham Villas on 1911 Census but with no success could you suggest how I can find out Mrs Smiths Christian name from a directory or Electoral register that I can gain access to for 1917 in Vickers Rd.

I tried looking on Google Street View to see if I could see Eltham Villas on one of the properties on Vickers Road with no luck, closest I found was Milton Villas (#'s 59-61). I also trawled through the 1911 on FMP to all the addresses it listed on Vickers Road and couldn't find any Smith's.

I can only suggest asking the staff at the Sheffield Archives to look in their Rate Books for 1917 to see who was paying rates on Vickers Road at that time.  All the houses on Vickers Road are standard terraces, so the builder gave some a posh name, sometimes they paid out for a plaque with the name on, but seems like in this case he didn't. 

11 minutes ago, Edmund said:

I can only suggest asking the staff at the Sheffield Archives to look in their Rate Books for 1917 to see who was paying rates on Vickers Road at that time.  All the houses on Vickers Road are standard terraces, so the builder gave some a posh name, sometimes they paid out for a plaque with the name on, but seems like in this case he didn't. 

Thanks