Crosspool in the 1960s

sixspeed

Hi

Thanks for the pics, they bring back good memories. If my memory is correct Celia's was a woolshop, I think the empty shop later became Rose's bakery and the shop to the right of that later became Ashe & Nephew, but of course I could be wrong (it's been a long time) and memories play tricks. If you come across any more pics I'd love to see them. Sadly I left Sheffield in 1973 and because of failing health it's unlikely I'll ever visit my home town again so these old pics are a joy to see.

Regards

Sixspeed

17 hours ago, Edmund said:

Several here: Crosspool on PictureSheffield

including this:

1331014284_Crosspool1964.png.401919cec9de61ea532d8703236d6979.png

Not sure of the date on this one, but I went to school with Mr Manns daughter in the late '60s:

628779044_MannFishShop.png.13c46348aec71d1d6ce35f1096c3cce4.png

Hi.

I've already mentioned in a previous post (Debenham's?) that Mr Mann's daughter is called Susan. Susan lived opposite us on Whirlow Court Road and then moved to Long Line with her Mum and Dad in the late 60's. When she left school which was the private one on Abbey Lane (now flats) she worked in the Record Bar in Debenham's. One of those record bars where you could select a disc and then listen to it on headphones in one of the booths. I've not seen Susan since the late 60's so I've no idea where she is now? However, it is interesting to note that the fish mongers on Sharrow Vale Road (opposite the Porter Cottage) is called Mann's, are they any relation?

Wazzie Worrall

13 hours ago, Ursa Minor said:

Fish shop at Hillsborough was called Harry Mann's also. On Hillsborough  Place I think.

Hi Ursa,

That's interesting, there is more that one Mann's Fishshop, Broomhill, Leopold Street and Hillsborough. I have a vague memory that the Mann's company mini van had Mann and Son Fish Mongers written on it, so maybe a son ran one of the shops? I even think that Susan's Dad was actually the son, were there any other brothers?

Wazzie Worrall

Apparently JH Mann were fishmongers in Sheffield for over a hundred years, Peter Mann owned the one in Hillsborough before selling up to two brothers a few years ago. Don't think the one on Sharrowvale Road is owned by the family either although I stand to be corrected.

Hi again Ursa,

That's an interesting bit of Sheffield History. I don't know whether Susan's dad was called Peter, he always referred to himself 'Mann'. I also don't think the Sharrowvale Rd Fishshop is anything to do with the original Mann family.

Cheers,

Wazzie Worrall

From Judith Hanson's "Crosspool Through Time" book:    "John and Hazel Mann were proprietors of the shop at 9 Sandygate Road from 1960 until 1983.  Before they took it on it was a fish shop owned by Frank Darwin. The Manns also sold fish and also added fruit and vegetables to their range. In 1983 the Manns retired, the shop became a fish and chip shop, and is now a Chinese take-away"

They had a son Simon and several daughters, the eldest I think was Christine and she attended Lydgate Lane Primary School at the same time as me. Hazel passed away last year.

Frank Darwin's fish shop had been in Crosspool since before the war.

Hi

I remember Simon but I can't recall any daughters.

What years did you attend Lydgate Lane?

Sixspeed

18 hours ago, sixspeed said:

Hi

I remember Simon but I can't recall any daughters.

What years did you attend Lydgate Lane?

Sixspeed

Hi Sixspeed

I was at Lydgate from February 1968 to July 1970, with Sept 68-Jul 69 at the annexe at Beech Hill Road Broomhill.

Hi Edmund

I was at Lydgate a little before you. It was the first school I attended and I left in 1966 to go to Tapton

Sixspeed

Hi,

I've just retrieved another memory from my 'rusting' brain. The Mann's Mini Van had 'The Reliable Fish Mann' painted on the side with the family name and shop address.

I'd love to see a picture of that Mini Van, is there one out there?

Wazzie Worrall.

Hi Wazzie

I seem to be suffering with the same rusty brain syndrome. I can't remember the Mini van you refer to but I do remember the Ford Zephyr MK3 they owned in the 60s and the occasion when the car door blew to trapping John's head between the door and the garage wall. Later they owned a silver coloured Vauxhall Victor 101 estate, this I remember well because as a very young apprentice mechanic I fitted a new clutch to this car in the Mann's lock up garage in Benty Lane, that would have been about 1971/72

Sixspeed

Hi Sixspeed.

More interesting stuff, thanks. The 'Mann' who lived opposite us on Whirlow Court Rd, Susan's Dad with the Mini Van also had a Jensen (can't remember the Model) which came out of the garage on Sunday for polishing. I've also a vague memory that Susan had an older brother but again the details, if true are lost in the mists of time! It's over 50yrs since we lived on Whirlow Court Rd and things slip with such time........

Wazzie Worrall.

Hi Wazzie

If my memory serves me correctly (which is debatable at this point in my life) the Mann's shop on Sandygate Rd was between Mabbots the butchers and a hair salon the name of which I can't remember. They lived in Den Bank Crecent, this I remember because a school friend of mine lived next door to them. As far as I can remember they only ever owned one car at a time.

Regards Sixspeed

4 hours ago, sixspeed said:

Hi Wazzie

If my memory serves me correctly (which is debatable at this point in my life) the Mann's shop on Sandygate Rd was between Mabbots the butchers and a hair salon the name of which I can't remember. They lived in Den Bank Crecent, this I remember because a school friend of mine lived next door to them. As far as I can remember they only ever owned one car at a time.

Regards Sixspeed

Hi Sixspeed,

The Mann's I knew on Whirlow Court Rd were different, perhaps brothers? Again my memory isn't what it was but I'm sure that the Mann Mini Van said Leopold Street on the address?

Cheers, Wazzie

Hi Wazzie

Memorie's are a wonderful/dreadful thing, especially at our time of life. I don't remember the Mann's having any other shop, however I could be wrong. I have just been having a quick look at Judith Hanson's Crosspool through time, I didn't realise or don't remember half the shops in Crosspool and I only lived a stones throw away.

Sixspeed

Hi Wazzie

Just before my brain goes into total meltdown Re- reliable fish mann, there was a reliable fish shop in Broomhill, I think?

Sixspeed

1 hour ago, sixspeed said:

Hi Wazzie

Just before my brain goes into total meltdown Re- reliable fish mann, there was a reliable fish shop in Broomhill, I think?

Sixspeed

In 1969 the Reliable Fish Co. Ltd was at 279 Fulwood Road (now Fruit-a-peel)

982074647_ReliableFishCoBroomhill.png.440cb2a06c7e38ceb9cd6377accacc32.png

Hi Edmund

Thanks for the photo and the Kelly's directory. If you come across anymore photos of Crosspool, Broomhill or Crookes I'd love to see them.

Sixspeed