Winter Street Hospital

Lois Jackson

Hello I wonder if anyone can help me. I'm researching into my maternal grandfather's family. His name was John Lynch and he was born in the Winter Street hospital where his father, James, was a coachman and his mother, Alice, as a porteress. His brother, James, and sisters, Agnes and Mary, were also born there. Alice died there in 1919 of pleuri-pneumonia and cardiac arrest. I'm really trying to find out more info about James sr and Alice. He was Irish, from Co Tyrone and she was born in Dudley, so how did they end up in Sheffield? 

Are there any records of what life was like in the hospital in those days?

Many thanks to anyone with info.

Lois Jackson

In 1919 the 120 beds allocated for wounded soldiers would still have been fully occupied, with concerts being given for their entertainment.  In November 1918 Sheffield hospitals had been overwhelmed by the flu epidemic and an appeal for medical staff was published in the newspapers.  In the two months October and November 1918 there were 1,332 flu related deaths in Sheffield.  The horse-drawn ambulances were overwhelmed, so James was probably working extremely hard, just at the time his wife became ill, possibly infected by flu patients at the hospital.  The main epidemic in Sheffield lasted for ten weeks and during January and February 1919 deaths had fallen to low levels.  Alice may well have been one of the last flu victims, and was buried on 21st February at St Michaels Roman Catholic Cemetery at Rivelin.

A plan of the Winter Street Hospital Wards:

1212138820_WinterStreetWard.thumb.png.b51de6de011038be2d84ff0d3929ebea.png

Photos of the hospital here:  Winter Street

• Thanks 1

Thank you so much for this information. I managed to get a copy of her death certificate which says she died on 15th Feb so this all tallies up. I don't know what happened to my great grandfather, though, can't seem to find any trace of where or when he died.

I know from the 1911 census that all the family were living in the lodge at the hospital and the children were all baptised at St Vincent's Church in Sheffield. I've attached the census (the Lynch family is over two pages) My great aunt Mary was born at the end of 1911 after the census.

My next quest is to find out how they got to the hospital. I can't find any trace of James Lynch in earlier censuses. I believe he was born in 1868 in Co Tyrone. Alice seems to be a mystery too. Her maiden name was Cooper. On her death certificate it says she was 40, the 1911 census says she was 36 and my best bet for a match via genealogy websites gives her birthdate as 1873 !!! Also I can't find any trace of a marriage, although on my grandad's birth certificate for 1906 she is noted as Alice Jane Lynch formerly Cooper. Do you haver any idea where I can turn next to solve this mystery?

Many thanks again

1911 census grandad Lynch.jpg

1911 census great grandad Lynch.jpg

Perhaps another connection to try:

Agnes Christina Lynch of Lodge Moor Hospital, born 23rd December 1908, was baptised on 3rd January 1909 by J.Kelly at St Vincents. Parents names are Alice Jane and James. Godparents are Joseph and Agnes Hogan.

Possibly James and Alice worked at Lodge Moor Hospital before transferring to Winter Street. Possibly Agnes Christina was named after her godmother?

Joseph and Agnes Hogan (dob 6 June 1882) were brother and sister - in 1911 living at 48 Edward Street, a stones throw from Winter Street Hospital. Parents were Thomas Hogan and Mary (nee Kavanagh) who had been living at 13 Hoyle Street in 1882. Mary died at 44 or 46 Edward Street on 18th January 1917 and was buried at Rivelin. Thomas was buried in the same grave on 21st February 1932, he died at 178 Mushroom Lane (again very near Winter Street), where he had  a grocers shop in 1922, and when retired in 1925 was a candidate for the Board of Guardians.

1622607360_Hogan1911.thumb.png.d52e21a4580c3a76e73480fa836300a7.png

Maybe James Lynch accompanied the Hogans from Ireland - perhaps a look at the Hogans on earlier census returns might show a nearby Lynch family?

Same godparents as Mary Ann Lynch born 1911.

Also shows Mary Ann married Wilfred Taff at St Vincent's in 1938 (from Sheffindexers)

Lynch, Maria Anna (of City Hospital Winter St, born 1911-10-21).
     Baptised October 1, 1911, by J Conran at St Vincents, Sheffield Centre.
     Parents name(s) are Alice Jane Cooper & Jacobi ().
     Note: Ipsa anno 1938 die 7 mensis Februarii matrimonium contraxit cum Wilfrid Taff in ecclesia Sti Vincentii apud Sheffield.
     Godparents: Josephus Hogan Agnes Hogan :Page No 258 :Reg No 

Also James and John:

Lynch, Jacobus (of City Hospital,Winter St, born 1905-05-09).
     Baptised May 14, 1905, by Patritio Flood at St Vincents, Sheffield Centre.
     Parents name(s) are Aliciae Joannae ~ & Jacobi ().
     Note: 
     Godparents: Josephus Hogan Agnetis Hogan :Page No 386 :Reg No 
     Similar Date Baptised             Same Household if Available            Surname Match if Available

Lynch, Joannes (of 9 Dart Square, born 1906-12-19).
     Baptised December 23, 1906, by Patritius Flood at St Vincents, Sheffield Centre.
     Parents name(s) are Annae Johannae Cooper & Jacobi ().
     Note: 
     Godparents: Josephus Vincentius Hogan Agnes Hogan :Page No 496 :Reg No 

And a further possible connection:

Lynch, Maria Anna (of ~, born 1865-08-12).
     Baptised August 16, 1865, by Jacobo Fitzgerald at St Vincents, Sheffield Centre.
     Parents name(s) are Catharinae Moran & Jacobi ().
     Note: N.B. Birth date approximate ("circiter").
     Godparents: Patricius Hogan Francisca Hogan :Page No 181 :Reg No 

• Thanks 1

More offspring of James Lynch and Catherine (nee Moran):

Lynch, Catherina (born 1870-02-20).  Baptised March 6, 1870, by Cornelio Hickey M.C. at St Vincents, Sheffield Centre. Parents name(s) are Catherinae Moran & Jacobi    Godparents: Joannes Flannagan Maria Hanley

John Thomas Lynch  registered Sheffield Q2 1872 (possible)

Lynch, Margarita (born 1867-10-19). Baptised November 3, 1867, by C. Hickey at St Vincents, Sheffield Centre. Parents name(s) are Catherinae Moran & Jacobi.  Godparents: Joannis Wall Anna Wall also another record slightly different dates:

Lynch, Margarita (born 1867-03-10).  Baptised November 5, 1867, by C.Hickey at St Vincents, Sheffield Centre. Parents name(s) are Catherinae Moran & Jacobi.   Godparents: Joannes Wall Anna Wall

• Like 1

1891 Census

Can't post image - works IT won't let me.

But search 'linch' on FMP.

22 Kenyon St

Cartram Linch - think how a strong Irish accent would sound to an enumerator - sounds like Catherine, with daughter kate

Next door at 20 Kenyon Street, Mary Hogan and family.

A link worth exploring I would think.

• Like 1

First of all an enormous thank you to both of you for all your hard work researching all this info.

I'm certainly looking into the Hogan link. I know that my great aunt Mary married Michael Ahern in Cork, Ireland in 1936, and that in 1939 they were in Essex as Uncle Mick worked at the Ford factory (according to my mum!). I've never been able to work out why she went to Eire, especially as her father came from Northern Ireland. So I'm wondering if this is the link I've been looking for, with Tomas and Mary Hogan coming from Dublin. According to the 1901 census their eldest daughter, Ellen, was born in 1877 in Sheffield, so, they must have come to the UK before then. However at the moment I'm coming up against a brick wall !

And as for Alice Lynch, née Cooper - this is a real poser! According to the 1911 census she was born in Dudley and I have a possible link on the 1901 census, but the age doesn't quite match up .... and still the mystery of the marriage to James !!!!

I shall keep on searching !

Thank you both once again.