Can Anyone Identify This Building in Netherthorpe?

Stringy72

I'd almost forgotten about this but was reminded by another Ponderosa Thread.

This Building (that is just in shot in upper left) at the bottom of the Ponderosa is baffling me.

s33014.jpg.1b69211e5bf8d41f91464caaf9e95d79.jpg

You'd be forgiven for thinking it was the Arts Tower, but obviously that's impossible due to it's location. You can tell this is where Upperthorpe Road bends round to become Watery Street and the building stands on the corner of the bottom of St Phillip's Road and Upperthorpe Road.

This building is where the Newsagent and Chip shop is, which is strange as I thought those shops were built when the area was developed. Even weirder that it looks like a building built in that era (1960's), so if it was, then it was pulled down quick.

Anyone solve this mystery?

Thanks.

2 hours ago, Heartshome said:

Could it be The White Hart pub, corner of Dover St and St Philips road ?

I don't think it is, no. There's a definite "end" to the Ponder area and the curve going into Watery Street is visible.

I found an image on Britain from Above from 1938, but it doesn't look like the same style structure.

1657271690_MeadowStreet1938.png.3e1a103a5d87ce16ec058decb4dcb78a.png

You can see the corner of St Phillip's Road and Upperthorpe Road/Watery Street. Would have to have a closer look at the building, but it looks to be completely different and it's unlikely that there was a building built after this and then removed for the shops.

Wonder what that building with the weird roof was as well, the one behind Meadow Street/Henry Street?

Wow, thanks for that @boginspro

Just shows you how deceptive a photo can be. In my photo it looks like part of a 60's style office building.

Also interesting that it's J Hudson Newsagent, I remember it was Ray Hudson's for years. I guess he was the Son who inherited?