Ringinglow Tower

Edmund

Where was this tower and who did it belong to?  It was built as a summer house, but the highways authority required part of it that encroached onto the road to be to be demolished, and it was rebuilt as it appears in the photographs.  "In bygone days wine and fruit were often taken there on summer afternoons".  Mr W.H Greaves-Bagshawe knew something about it, but he is now sadly deceased.

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;y00403&pos=1&action=zoom&id=47654

474098263_RingingloweTower1925.thumb.png.e525501e66edc6ae4ad1be7934c53a06.png

• Like 2

Hi Edmund. Like you, I have been trying to find out about this for years. It is so strange that very little is known about such an unusual building, as it was in such a small populated area. I have spoken to people in the area, walked up and down the whole road, trying to locate a similar level, with the trees in the back ground, and double chimney pots in the distance, carrying the Picture Sheffield photo of it, which is a good one. I am also not sure, but on the far right of that photo, it 'looks' like 2 Rugby Goal Posts!! are they ?? If so, that means it was somewhere near what was the old Sports Ground. I have come to the conclusion that it was somewhere between HILL TOP, and BENTS GREEN SCHOOL because of the housing. I to would love to know where it actually was.

• Like 1

Hi Stu, yes It was built incorporating a wall, and may have been built as a Folly in that 'Castle' style, though was obviously used. I've looked on many long shot photos, and studied old maps from the Ringinglow area, but have never found any indication of it. Strange! as it must have looked a bit odd and out of place.

• Like 1

This information came from a resident.

The TOWER was built into a 10ft wall at the bottom of Ringinglow Road, and edged the Kitchen Gardens of Banner Cross Hall.

The Tower was built for Lord John Murrey, as a quiet place to relax. It had two rooms with Bow Windows, and is also said to have had a small Library.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Edmund said:

So I guess the yellowed in building on this 1923 map:

343132270_BannerCrossHall1923.png.a502b58ec683da74a78c16bc5f9e29c4.png

Yes, I would say it looks about right, given that the map makers did not always get buildings in the precise spot, but near enough. Nice one Edmund !