Malinda Place

Gabriel

Can anybody tell me whereabouts Malinda Place was please? My 4x great-grandparents, Joseph and Elizabeth Tomlinson and their two children Joseph and John Tomlinson were listed in the 1871 Census as living there. I can’t find any records of Malinda Place, so any help would be great. In 1881, Joseph the younger lived at 66 Malinda Street with his wife and children, so it must have been nearby. 🤷‍♂️

Thanks  

In July 1875 a Mrs Tomlinson placed an advert in the Daily Telegraph for a general servant.  She stated her address as " 66, Malinda-place, Watery-street "

• Thanks 1

Ahh right. So Malinda Place was just the area, and they lived at 66 Malinda Place. 

Thank you for your help

1 hour ago, Gabriel said:

Ahh right. So Malinda Place was just the area, and they lived at 66 Malinda Place. 

Thank you for your help

No, I think Malinda Place was built as a brass foundry.  On the 1871 census the Tomlinsons were recorded between number 26 and number 28 Watery Street so on the corner with Malinda Street (see 1950 map below)

1464096680_MalindaStreet.png.49ac25ec0ad69a3dc73ea4ac386e03e9.png

The premises weren't built as at 1850.  When advertised in 1855 the brass foundry premises had 3 sleeping rooms, dining and drawing rooms, kitchen, cellar plus large warehouse, stabling and shed - so the Tomlinsons also presumably operated their business from here.

• Thanks 1

Yeah I think they did. They started in 1860 and purchased Borough Mews in 1870. So before they purchased the premises, they would have used Malinda Street as a base for their business.

Thanks