Look UP in the City Of Sheffield for a new perspective!

Sheffield History

2 hours ago, madannie77 said:

1802_Wharncliffe%20Fireclay%20Works_10Ma

1804_Wharncliffe%20Fireclay%20Works_10Ma

1803_Wharncliffe%20Fireclay%20Works_10Ma

1806_Wharncliffe%20Fireclay%20Works_10Ma

1810_Wharncliffe%20Fireclay%20Works_10Ma

Hi,

When I was a young Sheffield teacher in the mid-70's we had an Environmental Education Advisor called Mr R Rodges - Bob. Bob was years a head of the times. He used to say, 'If you want to get an idea of what a building was, look up to at least the first floor'. We once went on an environment field study around the City centre looking up at the shops and other buildings. I learned such a lot from that walk and still think about what Bob said. Shops come and go, but the upper fabric of buildings changes very little!

Wazzie Worrall 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Sheffield History said:

Screenshot 2020-06-11 at 22.28.20.jpg

The blank space in the stone just behind the lamp-post Head is where the name Post Office was removed when the General post office was up and running.

• Like 1

I really got into the habit of looking up when I joined Sheffield History and began hunting for datestones on buildings!

And then along came Calvin72 with the drainspotting and I started looking down at the ground as well.

Now I sometimes don't know where to look on my infrequent visits to Sheffield :wacko:

If you look up when stood looking at the Wh Smiths building on Fargate, there are stone carvings of farm animal heads. I seem to recall the building was originally built for, or by a butcher?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LeadFarmer said:

If you look up when stood looking at the Wh Smiths building on Fargate, there are stone carvings of farm animal heads. I seem to recall the building was originally built for, or by a butcher?

Davy’s, 38 - 40 Fargate

• Like 1

Have been sent this message

Don't miss the Pawson and Brailsford 'P&B', carved into the stonework between the ground and first floors of what is currently Lloyds Bank on the corner of High Street and East Parade

On 12/06/2020 at 21:53, LeadFarmer said:

Then and now :)

38-40 Fargate 1888.jpg

38-40 Fargate now.jpeg