Jump to content

Recommended Posts

My great uncle Walter was a Captain in the Boys Brigade at All Saints before WW2 and I was in both the Life Boys and Brigade at Firth Park Methodist's ( 54th from memory) I also remember Spencer's the butchers and John and his sister and , of course, Ben Wing.

Hi Lysander, My Dad Jim Moore was in BB at All Saints; it was the 15th Sheffield. He started in LIfe Boys in 1923 & BB in 1927. He left in 1932 when he was 18 & there wasn't a vacancy on the staff so went & helped start 53rd at Grimesthorpe WR. What was your gt uncle's name?

Did you do DEA at Firth Park? If you did we probably knew each other.

John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

His name was Walter Dalton....Not sure what DEA was/is. Do you remember Miss Audrey Keyworth of the Life Boys and Vernon Duckworth of BB at Firth Park

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are quite a few people with a considerable knowledge of the Boys brigade in Sheffield and it is to those people Iam appealing to for help.

I never quite made the Boys Brigade but I remember having some good time in the Life Boys. For those who don't know the Life Boys were the first step before being old enough to join the Boys Brigade. Similar to the Cubs and Scouts. I remember marching round the local streets on Sundays with the Boys Brigade band leading and every year, I think it was on Whit Sunday, we marched to Meersbrooke Park if memory serves me right, where we met up with other Boys Brigade and Life Boys from other parts of Sheffield.

Here is where I need some help as I can't remember. The boys Brigade / Life Boys I was in met at the Methodist Church in Anns Road, which I believe is now the Sheffield Chinese Chistian Church. Does any one know the name company etc.? They were happy days !!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello John,Think you will know me Margaret Colley nee Godwin.I was a Lifeboy Leader at Firth Park Methodist Chapel in the 50's and all my brothers were in the Boys Brigade.My father Wilf Godwin and most of his friends in the 30's.We had some brill times there.We are all still going strong John.I have lived in Chesterfield now for almost 50years.Remember with great affection your Mum and Dad.Have spent the last 11 years since retiring on genealogy studies hence my interest in this site.Would love to hear from you though i dont want to display my e-mail address here on open forum.Best Wishes Margaret

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello John,Think you will know me Margaret Colley nee Godwin.I was a Lifeboy Leader at Firth Park Methodist Chapel in the 50's and all my brothers were in the Boys Brigade.My father Wilf Godwin and most of his friends in the 30's.We had some brill times there.We are all still going strong John.I have lived in Chesterfield now for almost 50years.Remember with great affection your Mum and Dad.Have spent the last 11 years since retiring on genealogy studies hence my interest in this site.Would love to hear from you though i dont want to display my e-mail address here on open forum.Best Wishes Margaret

Hi Margaret, Have sent you a PM with my email address. Best wishes, John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, I've just seen the pictures that Meersbrook posted at #18 and would like to thank you !!!

I was amazed to find that I am on one of them, (the first picture)

This picture (the first one) is of the 81st Company ,St Lukes, Northfield Road Crookes.

Can't quite remember, but as it's on Norfolk Street heading towards the Victoria Hall, I guess it was one of the Remembrance day marches...in November...

Once Again thank you Meersbrook.......... :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All very interesting reading about 'The Boys Brigade' I in Fact Belonged to The Church Lads Brigade I Think the difference was Boys Brigade was Chapel etc & CLB was Church of England , I was in St Andrews , there was St Peters & St Oswalds from Abbeydale & Nether Edge I think , we all had fabulous Uniforms & Caps , dark blue-broad red stripe down the trousers, I was in the band , started on the Bugle , then cavalry trumpet , Then on The Back row Playing a Valve Trumpet , John Clayton was a Great Drummer & Tony Heath played The Trumpet , often about 30 marching along all the roads around Sharrow , with us The Scouts & There Band , lots of people stood on the doorstep to cheer us on.

At Whitsuntide it would be Lots & Lots of Marching Bands etc up to Ecclesaul Park where there was lots going on all day

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25 October 2013, peterinfrance said:

There are quite a few people with a considerable knowledge of the Boys brigade in Sheffield and it is to those people Iam appealing to for help.

I never quite made the Boys Brigade but I remember having some good time in the Life Boys. For those who don't know the Life Boys were the first step before being old enough to join the Boys Brigade. Similar to the Cubs and Scouts. I remember marching round the local streets on Sundays with the Boys Brigade band leading and every year, I think it was on Whit Sunday, we marched to Meersbrooke Park if memory serves me right, where we met up with other Boys Brigade and Life Boys from other parts of Sheffield.

Here is where I need some help as I can't remember. The boys Brigade / Life Boys I was in met at the Methodist Church in Anns Road, which I believe is now the Sheffield Chinese Chistian Church. Does any one know the name company etc.? They were happy days !!!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/01/2012 at 13:04, CHAP LAD said:

Hi all

You may be able to answer a couple of the questions of my early years ive struggled to remember.

I was in the boys brigade and we attended at a wooden hut just off Yew Lane on the footpath that goes between the Youlgreave and Rocher estates

Can anyone tell me what company it would have been?I`ve a feeling it was called Creswick but...

Also I have memories of attending a very busy sports day in the late 60s possibly early seventies but I cant recall the location ,always had it in my mind we travelled on the 17 bus to somewhere at Firth Park ? but also got a memory of it being in the grounds of a large house or hall

 

Thanks

Hello Chap Lad. You were in the 62nd Coy. Creswick Greave Methodist church. I joined at 12 and stayed on to become Captain before moving to Devon. We were married there also.

We must know each other. Did you ever go to camps in the summer ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/03/2013 at 08:22, johnm said:

 

Hi Lysander, My Dad Jim Moore was in BB at All Saints; it was the 15th Sheffield. He started in LIfe Boys in 1923 & BB in 1927. He left in 1932 when he was 18 & there wasn't a vacancy on the staff so went & helped start 53rd at Grimesthorpe WR. What was your gt uncle's name?

Did you do DEA at Firth Park? If you did we probably knew each other.

John

Only just joined the site so I am way out of date here but I was around at this time doing Dof E gold.

We must know each other. I am in Devon now.John Spenser is some one I remember . We were 62nd coy at Creswick Greave  - Yew Lane. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/03/2013 at 09:10, johnm said:

Hi Arthur, Great to see that you have kept those certificates. I have still got my badges but no certs.

Interestingly I see one is signed by E Nortcliff (Ernest, company captain) on behalf of B Wing (Ben who was captain of 54th at Firth Park) who must have signed it as 4th District Convener I think.

John

Ernest went on to be Captain of 62nd Coy. Creswick Greave. I took over when he left. His wife ran the juniors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/01/2012 at 13:04, CHAP LAD said:

Hi all

You may be able to answer a couple of the questions of my early years ive struggled to remember.

I was in the boys brigade and we attended at a wooden hut just off Yew Lane on the footpath that goes between the Youlgreave and Rocher estates

Can anyone tell me what company it would have been?I`ve a feeling it was called Creswick but...

Also I have memories of attending a very busy sports day in the late 60s possibly early seventies but I cant recall the location ,always had it in my mind we travelled on the 17 bus to somewhere at Firth Park ? but also got a memory of it being in the grounds of a large house or hall

 

Thanks

Hi. You were in the 62nd company at Creswick Greave Methodist Church and depending on the year, I would have been Captain.What was your name and when was this please.?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/02/2019 at 15:59, ex pat said:

Hi. You were in the 62nd company at Creswick Greave Methodist Church and depending on the year, I would have been Captain.What was your name and when was this please.?

Hi sorry only just seen this It would have been around 68 to 70 .The leaders were a married couple who had a son a little older than myself I would  have been 10 or so I can't recall the families name unfortunately

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/03/2013 at 21:27, lysander said:

My great uncle Walter was a Captain in the Boys Brigade at All Saints before WW2 and I was in both the Life Boys and Brigade at Firth Park Methodist's ( 54th from memory) I also remember Spencer's the butchers and John and his sister and , of course, Ben Wing.

Hi lysander, My dad was in 15th at All Saints through both  Life Boys & BB - he lived on Petre St.  He left there when he reached age limit & there was no room for him as officer so he weent to Reform Chapel to help start 53rd BB.  I remember him going back to a service there when they "laid up" the BB colours following closure. The 15th was one of teh oldest companies in Sheffield & Walter was weell known You will be surprised to know that there are now 2 BB companies at Firth park Methodist  - the 54th plus 23rd captained by Barrie Trigg ( originally on Beck Rd) which moved there a few years ago. They both function well I understand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×