More Parkway Questions

Stringy72

It seems there was a road that stretched from Manor Lane Area up to the old Handsworth Roundabout? An early version on that stretch of Parkway? You can see it meet the roundabout from the left corner here.

s25466.jpg.996c8f601b534516b1ecdba61626309e.jpg

When was this road built and did it go from where I mentioned in the OP?

I believe these are that road too?

s33283.jpg.2d73fe6e43a069d1bc8f64f92705ab2b.jpg

1541005945_u05022(1).jpg.998446a48644bad25542685b8cdeaa5b.jpg

u06915.jpg.9ed905ab51b4f4654bb753ab46e00ad2.jpg

This one below is a little confusing, even with the description on Picture Sheffield.

u06916.jpg.22e9f0b8e915f52c21edd49cdf35e2dd.jpg

.u06917.jpg.146bf8915628080347180a97ea328885.jpg

u06918.jpg.2da884c2d0658b9280f64391aebcd407.jpg

u06919.jpg.3d36d1f08125027f199cdf39912ec89b.jpg

Also, can anyone identify which parts of the Parkway these photos from the Miner's Strike 1984/85 are please.

2392b0f5db1789da5353f0a1e1459f80--sheffield-.jpg.445531cbc3a520ad3c0fefc5bc9d1071.jpg

5582012335_9d0825ca8d_z.jpg.be82b5d5ec5c980317b4c753b049b15d.jpg

And does anyone remember what the White Building in the foreground on the right is here. I think it's Cricket Inn Road or Maltravers.

u01752-1.jpg.888866511c5ddbbd51c83b2704b51953.jpg.67eeb2bb0122e846508983c146955deb.jpg

Good photo below of Prince of Wales Road before any of it was built.

s24489.jpg.517c1bee73bbcb9d649f56493d62c4a1.jpg

Thanks

The White Building was the GPO Maltravers Rd TEC (Telephone Engineering Centre). The “tower” was an office block. The long low building was the stores and below it at street level was the garage where all the vehicles were serviced. Overnight the car park would be packed with vans and trucks. I started my apprenticeship there in 1968 and at the time the building seemed quite new.

• Like 1

The Parkway was originally built as a single carriageway from Handsworth to Manor Lane, this road eventually formed the outbound carriageway from Sheffield in the early 60's. It was converted to a dual carriageway in the early 70's when it was extended to Park Square and the M1. Also remember the course of the road was realigned again when the Mosborough Parkway intersection was built, originally the inbound and outbound carriageways were separated by and piece of land with trees in it!

The first picture shows Handsworth roundabout, the third, sixth, seventh and eighth are in the Bowden Houstead Woods area, and the fourth is near where the markets access is today, that is the original footbridge which was replaced with the bow bridge. I'm baffled by the fourth one, but I'm guessing it is in the area of Manor Lane.

I think the miners strike pictures are just after Handsworth Road going towards the M1, but could be wrong on that, a clearer picture showing the road sign would help.

Nigel L

• Like 1

The last photo has the only known picture of Crabtree Farm. Later the Manor Employment Project (MEP) occupied the site of it and then it had the hotel built onto it. In the 1980's the manager of the MEP told me that a few guys from the electric company came around looking for Crabtree Farm, as they had not paid the bill and were coming to cut them off! It had been demolished well before the 1970's!

The School is Pipworth. There's a nasty tear in the picture. The library doesn't look like they have the negative to do another print as it has been like that for years. The picture was taken in around 1929 and is one of a sequence of Manor Estate pictures. The houses, except the ones under construction, have all been demolished, due to wall tie failure. Leaving just the School and those being built left.  The remains of the large tree showing on the right of the picture next to Prince of Wales Road, was there for many years. Just the flat base of the trunk. Don't know if has now been removed as I haven't been there for years. It would have been part of the Low Farm, which stood at the back of the Prince of Wales Shopping half circle.    

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, History dude said:

The last photo has the only known picture of Crabtree Farm. Later the Manor Employment Project (MEP) occupied the site of it and then it had the hotel built onto it. In the 1980's the manager of the MEP told me that a few guys from the electric company came around looking for Crabtree Farm, as they had not paid the bill and were coming to cut them off! It had been demolished well before the 1970's!

The School is Pipworth. There's a nasty tear in the picture. The library doesn't look like they have the negative to do another print as it has been like that for years. The picture was taken in around 1929 and is one of a sequence of Manor Estate pictures. The houses, except the ones under construction, have all been demolished, due to wall tie failure. Leaving just the School and those being built left.  The remains of the large tree showing on the right of the picture next to Prince of Wales Road, was there for many years. Just the flat base of the trunk. Don't know if has now been removed as I haven't been there for years. It would have been part of the Low Farm, which stood at the back of the Prince of Wales Shopping half circle.    

Surely the farm is Bowden Homestead Farm, not Crabtree, I past it many a time when going to the small area that was a football field that was used by St Theresas, I’m sure it was called the Zion ground.

Thanks for all the info here, guys. I had totally forgotten that it split and rejoined for a short section before the Mosborough Link was built. Must have been up and down it 100 times with me Dad as well whilst it was like that. Never seen a picture of it like that though.

One of my mates says there was also a sort of dead end slip road that Lorries used to Park up on, in the outbound direction between P.O.W.R and Handsworth? Can't really tell from the map.

On the 1976 Map, there also seems to be a road joining the Parkway from the left, before the turn of for Parkway Markets? I'm baffled now!

Also regarding that old maps site. I've been on and it appears it's a "pay only" site. Is that so?

Regarding the pics with the Miners, I thought it must have been a slip road, but now I've been reminded that the carriageways split, could it have been on one side of that? Or maybe the original Catcliffe exit. I think there was only one exit back then, on the outbound side.

Any idea when that building was knocked down @Phil Lockwood

This is one that Picture Sheffield got wrong. This is looking towards town, but they have described it as facing the other way. I think it's due to that bridge, it was moved from there to the other side of the Markets exit.

w02032.jpg.cc4429e85e683a5d325e2222e5772326.jpg

Seems they've planted a lot of Trees along the way since the 80's as well.

This one below is a bit of a Headscratcher though

w02863.jpg.456d984d437a648a8885d9d02ff9180b.jpg

39 minutes ago, Stringy72 said:

Thanks for all the info here, guys. I had totally forgotten that it split and rejoined for a short section before the Mosborough Link was built. Must have been up and down it 100 times with me Dad as well whilst it was like that. Never seen a picture of it like that though.

One of my mates says there was also a sort of dead end slip road that Lorries used to Park up on, in the outbound direction between P.O.W.R and Handsworth? Can't really tell from the map.

On the 1976 Map, there also seems to be a road joining the Parkway from the left, before the turn of for Parkway Markets? I'm baffled now!

Also regarding that old maps site. I've been on and it appears it's a "pay only" site. Is that so?

Regarding the pics with the Miners, I thought it must have been a slip road, but now I've been reminded that the carriageways split, could it have been on one side of that? Or maybe the original Catcliffe exit. I think there was only one exit back then, on the outbound side.

Any idea when that building was knocked down @Phil Lockwood

When the single carriageway was converted to the dual carriageway it was realigned at Handsworth and that left part of the old carriageway as a dead end, I think that is the bit you are referring to. Many years ago I was working on the Parkway on the outbound side just before Handsworth slip, and in amongst the trees on the left you could clearly see the remains of the tarmac road, I bet it's gone now.

The 1967 maps confirms that the "baffling" picture (no. 4 ) above is the access/exit to the Parkway markets looking towards Prince of Wales Road.

On the 1976 map the road "joining from the left" is the exit to Manor Lane.

The "headscratcher" colour photo is further towards town, the curved bit takes the Parkway to Park Square, the bit going off the left edge is again the Manor Lane slip road.

Nigel L

• Like 1

Thanks @Lemmy117

It makes sense now.

I'm getting things Arse about Tit with the 1976 map, of course it's Manor Lane exit. The headscratcher photo makes sense too. It just looks so different being bare landscape, no trees etc.

I expect those houses on either side on Pic 4 are still there, most likely Greenwood one side and Beaumont, the other?

In the 1967 era, I expect the roundabout at P.O.W.R was just a road level rather than the early Parkway being trenched through leading to the "Built Up" exit?

That bit of slip road my mate mentioned that you said was up near Handsworth. Did anything actually park up there? Just wondering as they would then have had to reverse back down it, hopefully onto a bit of hardshoulder and then wait to pull out into traffic, that bit of the Parkway was always a bit of a gamble.

You've got a great memory for all this.

Great name by the way. I don't mind a bit of Motorhead.

6 hours ago, tozzin said:

Surely the farm is Bowden Homestead Farm, not Crabtree, I past it many a time when going to the small area that was a football field that was used by St Theresas, I’m sure it was called the Zion ground.

Defiantly Crabtree Farm as this map shops followed by the overlay with the modern. Must mention that before becoming the MEP the depot shown on the other 60's maps was a Council Depot. It was also the one that housed the staff that would disinfect "dirty" properties!  

Map Lower Manor.JPG

Bowden woods overlay.jpg

1 hour ago, Stringy72 said:

Thanks @Lemmy117

That bit of slip road my mate mentioned that you said was up near Handsworth. Did anything actually park up there? Just wondering as they would then have had to reverse back down it, hopefully onto a bit of hardshoulder and then wait to pull out into traffic, that bit of the Parkway was always a bit of a gamble.

You've got a great memory for all this.

Great name by the way. I don't mind a bit of Motorhead.

I'm not sure how it worked, but there was a lot less traffic around then, so bscking up and pulling out may not have been so much of an issue.

I used to work for the council (keeps head down!), on the highways, so spent many a happy hour in the roads of Sheffield.

Everyone says that about my name, truth is it is nothing to do with Motorhead, it was my dads nickname.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tozzin said:

It is Crabtree Farm:

1923 - pre Pipworth School

1935 - school is now built

1938-48 - larger view of surrounding area

C5BF5E73-3BE5-47FA-880E-DD09528F6CFB.jpeg

9559A74E-4F89-447A-A2F4-037887FD16B2.jpeg

A08F374D-8D38-4267-A7D0-39EB30A13D27.jpeg

• Like 1

On 10/06/2020 at 19:29, Stringy72 said:

This one below is a little confusing, even with the description on Picture Sheffield.

295E1D61-D4B4-49F9-8AA5-BBED895D999D.jpeg

ED4978B7-FB07-4D4F-8FB0-CC1CBF162133.jpeg

• Like 1

Corker Bottoms Lane gets it's name from Edmund Corker who owned the fields around the lane. Ending up at the bottom of his fields!

Own up who thought it was Corker's bum!!

• Like 1

All I can remember of the early Parkway was riding down  a newly opened road, as pillion, on a 500cc ( Matchless I think) without a skid lid at around 100 mph! Exhilerating.! But, seriously, thanks for all the info...I have learned a thing or two about a road I regularly travel on!!

• Like 1

I can always remember going to the football pitch just past the farm, that there was always a black Wartburg car park outside, never saw another one anywhere else, who would have thought it an East German car in Sheffield.

When I started work in 1973 my boss had an orange Wartburg, 2 stroke engine, plastic seats, an absolute shocker. He reckoned it was loads better then the Skoda he had before!

We had a few colourful Wartburgs around here but very few Trabants...the( nearly all) cardboard people's car!

This is Prince of Wales Road snaking through farmland. I did read somewhere that miners helped build “ Prinnywag” as us kids called it, while they were out of work..

prince of wales rd.jpg

• Like 1