Jump to content

Say hello and introduce yourself to the community!


Recommended Posts

Sheffield History

102972996_2974147436013817_8316987620177034515_o.jpg

SAY HELLO!

Thank you for joining Sheffield History, a website absolutely dedicated to the amazing fantastic history of our brilliant City of Sheffield

You are now part of an incredible community of people who contribute photos, thoughts, opinions and memories of Sheffield's past.

How long have you been reading Sheffield History? How did you first find us? What made you join the site? What aspects of Sheffield History interests you the most? 

Please post in this thread to say hello and introduce yourself to everyone..
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Sheffield History pinned this topic
Stringy72

Hi, all!

I've been asked to introduce myself, so here goes.

I signed up a few weeks back but have lurked around the site for a few years now. A work friend of mine mentioned the site to me a few years back. Once I started doing Google searches for Old Sheffield Photos, I found a lot of the links were to this site and I was impressed with the pictures I was seeing.

I'm quite fascinated by the Broomhall/Broomfields/Broomhill areas of Sheffield, I've lived in the area all my life and I recently found about about the site called Britain from Above which ended a 3 year long search for detailed pictures of those areas. I'd found the odd ones on Picture Sheffield and in other random places on the internet, but these were exactly what I was after. Of course, now I've found those, it only poses more questions.

I've learned quite a bit about the the old Sheffield from pictures and Old Maps and it's quite a revelation and also quite sad to see some of the things that have been pulled down, especially when you consider what was the replacement.

There are still a few nagging questions about some areas of Sheffield. I'll get around to those no doubt.

Thanks. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Sheffield History
31 minutes ago, Stringy72 said:

Hi, all!

I've been asked to introduce myself, so here goes.

I signed up a few weeks back but have lurked around the site for a few years now. A work friend of mine mentioned the site to me a few years back. Once I started doing Google searches for Old Sheffield Photos, I found a lot of the links were to this site and I was impressed with the pictures I was seeing.

I'm quite fascinated by the Broomhall/Broomfields/Broomhill areas of Sheffield, I've lived in the area all my life and I recently found about about the site called Britain from Above which ended a 3 year long search for detailed pictures of those areas. I'd found the odd ones on Picture Sheffield and in other random places on the internet, but these were exactly what I was after. Of course, now I've found those, it only poses more questions.

I've learned quite a bit about the the old Sheffield from pictures and Old Maps and it's quite a revelation and also quite sad to see some of the things that have been pulled down, especially when you consider what was the replacement.

There are still a few nagging questions about some areas of Sheffield. I'll get around to those no doubt.

Thanks. 

 


Thank you for that. I think you're right about some of the old buildings we have lost. I have some favourites like the old Corn Exchange building and the old Victoria Train Station that I really love and wish were still around today.

I don't know that much about Broomhall/Broomhill to help you that much but will have a look and see what I can find and post on here to see if any of it is of interest!

Thank you for the introduction - it's great to have you in the community here 👍

Link to post
Share on other sites
Stringy72

Thanks, it's good to have the chance to find stuff out. I think a lot of the nicest stuff went before I was born (1972). There were some real horrors of 60's/70's Brutalist Architecture that was favoured back in the day. I don't know if it was supposed to look "futuristic" back then and I don't know how it was received. All I know it was plain ugly and Dystopian looking.

I wish they could have found a way to widen the roads and chose more carefully what to get rid of, but I suppose it doesn't work that way.

There was a lovely building with a Clock Tower on the now vanished part of Norfolk Street that was bulldozed along with the rest to build the hideous Egg Box. These things as with the Corn Exchange are things I've only ever seen in Pictures.

See you around the Forum.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Sheffield History
2 minutes ago, Stringy72 said:

Thanks, it's good to have the chance to find stuff out. I think a lot of the nicest stuff went before I was born (1972). There were some real horrors of 60's/70's Brutalist Architecture that was favoured back in the day. I don't know if it was supposed to look "futuristic" back then and I don't know how it was received. All I know it was plain ugly and Dystopian looking.

I wish they could have found a way to widen the roads and chose more carefully what to get rid of, but I suppose it doesn't work that way.

There was a lovely building with a Clock Tower on the now vanished part of Norfolk Street that was bulldozed along with the rest to build the hideous Egg Box. These things as with the Corn Exchange are things I've only ever seen in Pictures.

See you around the Forum.


I was born 1971 so we're around the same age so will have grown up during the same era

Agreed about the brutalist architecture. It would be good to hear from people from back in the day on what it was like when it was revealed.

I wonder what the Norfolk Street building was - is there a thread on here about it yet?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Stringy72

Not sure whether there is a thread on that building. There are pics on Picture Sheffield though. Might be able to zoom in a bit on one.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Stringy72

Just had a quick look and it was CWS Bank and also at some part had a shop called Frank Bold Limited within it. Also just realised that there is another building with a near identical Clock Tower that was part of the Walker and Hall Factory Building (on the corner of the old parts of Howard Street and Eyre Street), so the building on Corner of Norfolk and Howard might have once been incorporated into the Factory complex?

The factory was there from the 19th Century, so it's possible. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
jackanne

Just received a message welcoming me to Sheffield History,and asking me to introduce myself.

I have benn a member since 2014!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Sheffield History
38 minutes ago, jackanne said:

Just received a message welcoming me to Sheffield History,and asking me to introduce myself.

I have benn a member since 2014!!


Yeah I thought I'd say hello to everyone as we've made so many changes recently I wanted to put a shout out to everybody to say hello and to ask everyone to introduce themselves in here and get to know each other a bit better!

The more we know about what people like the more work we can do to make this site even better

 

:)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Sheffield History
1 hour ago, Stringy72 said:

Just had a quick look and it was CWS Bank and also at some part had a shop called Frank Bold Limited within it. Also just realised that there is another building with a near identical Clock Tower that was part of the Walker and Hall Factory Building (on the corner of the old parts of Howard Street and Eyre Street), so the building on Corner of Norfolk and Howard might have once been incorporated into the Factory complex?

The factory was there from the 19th Century, so it's possible. 


Definitely need a new thread for this one!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
johnm

HI, I was born in  Sheffield in 1944 & worked in  Steel Research all my working life but have lived at Guisborough North Yorks since my job moved up here in 1976. I am a keen family historian & love to find out more about the city I grew up in & love. Also was involved in Boys Brigade in Sheffield (53rd Company Grimesthorpe WR Church) & Duke of  Edinburgh Award activities. I come down to Sheffield to see family & friends about 3 times a year for a few days & to pick up a case of Hendersons Relish which all my family love !!  I have been a contributor to the Sheffield history site for quite a number of years & am very grateful to those who run it.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Sheffield History
42 minutes ago, johnm said:

HI, I was born in  Sheffield in 1944 & worked in  Steel Research all my working life but have lived at Guisborough North Yorks since my job moved up here in 1976. I am a keen family historian & love to find out more about the city I grew up in & love. Also was involved in Boys Brigade in Sheffield (53rd Company Grimesthorpe WR Church) & Duke of  Edinburgh Award activities. I come down to Sheffield to see family & friends about 3 times a year for a few days & to pick up a case of Hendersons Relish which all my family love !!  I have been a contributor to the Sheffield history site for quite a number of years & am very grateful to those who run it.

 


Morning John!

Steel research sounds interesting. I've no idea what it is/means though as I'm the least practical/industrial minded person!

I'm pleased that you're able to say you've successfully spread the word about Henderson's Relish - I've tried it with friends of mine in Somerset and they mock me saying it's just a watered down Lea and Perrins (grrrrrr!)

Thank you so much for being part of our community. We're really grateful you're here with us

Link to post
Share on other sites
RichardS

Been a member for almost 12 years (where has the time gone!!!!!), a 1974 model, Sheffield born and bred.

 

Always been a keen historian, I have a passion for local and family history, with a love of old documents, book and items and have quite a collection of, although the collecting of 'things' has significantly diminished in the age of t'internet.

Of particular local interest to me are the pubs, hence why I joined here initially. I also have an interest in the Anglo-Saxon and early medieval periods and would love to find a previously unknown slice of this time period around where I live (Intake). 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Sheffield History
1 minute ago, RichardS said:

Been a member for almost 12 years (where has the time gone!!!!!), a 1974 model, Sheffield born and bred.

 

Always been a keen historian, I have a passion for local and family history, with a love of old documents, book and items and have quite a collection of, although the collecting of 'things' has significantly diminished in the age of t'internet.

Of particular local interest to me are the pubs, hence why I joined here initially. I also have an interest in the Anglo-Saxon and early medieval periods and would love to find a previously unknown slice of this time period around where I live (Intake). 


Hi Richard!

Thank you for introducing yourself

It seems like this site has been going for so long but we've not really done anywhere near enough on the community side to get to know each other so thought we'd make the effort.

You're right about collecting things, there's definitely been a marked shift in that.

Intake is an interesting topic. I don't think we've covered that in any great detail yet. Let's remedy that! Will see what I can find to post on here for you

Link to post
Share on other sites
Oldbloke

I'm Dave, I've been lurking about here for over 10 years, but have tried not to break anything, honest. 😉

Born in '59, bread and buttered in Meersbrook and been around there, Heeley, Arbourthorne and the Manor ever since. I used to navigate using pubs, so these days I get lost a lot...

Link to post
Share on other sites
TRowe

Hello my name is Terry, I have been asked to leave a few lines about why am here and introduce myself, I have been a member a while, but just getting, back into my family tree, which from my Fathers side is Sheffield, I am looking at 20th Century and 19th, but it maybe around the Sheffield area as well as Sheffield, the Surnames am looking for are Rowe, Davy and Lobb, places include Fulwood Cottage Homes, H.M. Prisons, Sheffield Graveyard,  A Garage in Eastwood, Rossington and Tickhill, I know the last Two are away, from Sheffield a bit, but, Eastwood to Rossington, is part of the story, but, i could kick, myself for working and living at Finningley for Two years in the late Eightes, without knowing, how close I was to my Fathers birth place, (although Dad always said he was from Sheffield), I know very little of my Fathers early life, which explains interest in Fulwood. Would like to hear from any family on here.

I would like to use this post, to Thank Edmund on this site, for the information he found, so Thank you.

Terence Edward Rowe

Link to post
Share on other sites
Sheffield History
On 12/06/2020 at 11:25, Oldbloke said:

I'm Dave, I've been lurking about here for over 10 years, but have tried not to break anything, honest. 😉

Born in '59, bread and buttered in Meersbrook and been around there, Heeley, Arbourthorne and the Manor ever since. I used to navigate using pubs, so these days I get lost a lot...

 

Hi Dave!

Good to meet you.

To my shame I have absolutely no idea where Meersbrook is so I'll need to educate myself on that 

You're bang on about the missing number of pubs these days too - so many sadly gone for good

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Sheffield History
2 minutes ago, TRowe said:

Hello my name is Terry, I have been asked to leave a few lines about why am here and introduce myself, I have been a member a while, but just getting, back into my family tree, which from my Fathers side is Sheffield, I am looking at 20th Century and 19th, but it maybe around the Sheffield area as well as Sheffield, the Surnames am looking for are Rowe, Davy and Lobb, places include Fulwood Cottage Homes, H.M. Prisons, Sheffield Graveyard,  A Garage in Eastwood, Rossington and Tickhill, I know the last Two are away, from Sheffield a bit, but, Eastwood to Rossington, is part of the story, but, i could kick, myself for working and living at Finningley for Two years in the late Eightes, without knowing, how close I was to my Fathers birth place, (although Dad always said he was from Sheffield), I know very little of my Fathers early life, which explains interest in Fulwood. Would like to hear from any family on here.

I would like to use this post, to Thank Edmund on this site, for the information he found, so Thank you.

Terence Edward Rowe

 

 

Evening Terry!

Thanks for posting.

Sounds like you have a real mission on your hands researching and discovering your family tree..

Fair play to you. That will be rewarding as it all unravels I'm sure!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Oldbloke
On 13/06/2020 at 23:27, Sheffield History said:

 

Hi Dave!

Good to meet you.

To my shame I have absolutely no idea where Meersbrook is so I'll need to educate myself on that 

You're bang on about the missing number of pubs these days too - so many sadly gone for good

It embarrasses me to have to post this here, welcome to Sheffield Geography...

 

 

map.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
Sheffield History
10 hours ago, Oldbloke said:

It embarrasses me to have to post this here, welcome to Sheffield Geography...

 

 

map.png

 

Thank you - I rarely venture that end of town - will have to have a day out exploring!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
Cazzashep
On 10 June 2020 at 13:52, Sheffield History said:

102972996_2974147436013817_8316987620177034515_o.jpg

SAY HELLO!

Thank you for joining Sheffield History, a website absolutely dedicated to the amazing fantastic history of our brilliant City of Sheffield

You are now part of an incredible community of people who contribute photos, thoughts, opinions and memories of Sheffield's past.

How long have you been reading Sheffield History? How did you first find us? What made you join the site? What aspects of Sheffield History interests you the most? 

Please post in this thread to say hello and introduce yourself to everyone..
 

Hi all, I was keen to join this site as I was born in Sheffield I love the nostalgia of the posts. As an army wife I've lived away from my home city for many years but still regard it as my home city. I look forward to visiting and reading the messages on here.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Lad from the Park

I am proud to be an indigenous Sheffielder.I love the Sheffield of old (for me).Sheffield in the 50s-70s were a  reight place.Its lost some of its character na but we need to rekindle the metal in Sheffield’s blood.I love looking at t’owd pictures and reading the stories etc.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
johnm

This has been a very useful site for the many years I have been a member. I was born in Page Hall & had family in  Grimesthorpe & Petre St. Lived in Sheffield until 1976 when my job with British Steel moved me up to Teesside where I live in Guisborough. Still bhave family & friends in Sheffield so visit a few times a year.  Have been heavily involved in family history resserach for 25 years & have used facilities at Sheffield Archives & Local Studies Library many times. I still love the city I grew up in  and find its history fascinating. Many thanks to the admins who have done a great job over the years keeping this site available.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
Organgrinder

Hi there,

My name's Tony.  Was born in Sheffield early 1940 in Heeley.

Went to Anns Road School and then Rowlinson (with a spell at Carrfield whilst Rowlinson was being completed)

First job at Wicker Goods Station, Saville street. In the cutlery trade for most of my remaining working life as a Grinder.

I love the old Sheffield that I knew as a child / teenager and young married man and, for the most part, hate the changes which have been made in the name of progress.

When did progress come to mean getting worse instead of getting better? 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...