Say hello and introduce yourself to the community!

Sheffield History

Hello everyone,

My name is Martin and I'm a 1948 vintage so I've seen lots of change, some for the better and some not so much. Brought up Woodseats area and lived away from Sheffield for many years after I got married. Nowhere else ever seemed like home and I've been back for half a lifetime now with no plans to ever stray again. I'm a history buff in general, not just local...it was the only subject at school that didn't seem like hard work.

Happy to be part of the Sheffield History community

• Like 1

On 29/07/2020 at 13:48, Colinsfoot said:

Hello everyone,

My name is Martin and I'm a 1948 vintage so I've seen lots of change, some for the better and some not so much. Brought up Woodseats area and lived away from Sheffield for many years after I got married. Nowhere else ever seemed like home and I've been back for half a lifetime now with no plans to ever stray again. I'm a history buff in general, not just local...it was the only subject at school that didn't seem like hard work.

Happy to be part of the Sheffield History community

Welcome!

Hi.My name is Jack Vickers,i was born in Gleadless,Seagrave Crescent in 1947,i went to Gleadless county school and then Hurlfield,had lots of different jobs,mostly as a sales rep.Lived in Dronfield,intake,Bradway and now North Anston,been married for 51 years 2 daughters and 5 grandchildren.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jackanne said:

Hi.My name is Jack Vickers,i was born in Gleadless,Seagrave Crescent in 1947,i went to Gleadless county school and then Hurlfield,had lots of different jobs,mostly as a sales rep.Lived in Dronfield,intake,Bradway and now North Anston,been married for 51 years 2 daughters and 5 grandchildren.  

Hi Jack!

Welcome!

On 10/06/2020 at 18:42, Stringy72 said:

Hi, all!

I've been asked to introduce myself, so here goes.

I signed up a few weeks back but have lurked around the site for a few years now. A work friend of mine mentioned the site to me a few years back. Once I started doing Google searches for Old Sheffield Photos, I found a lot of the links were to this site and I was impressed with the pictures I was seeing.

I'm quite fascinated by the Broomhall/Broomfields/Broomhill areas of Sheffield, I've lived in the area all my life and I recently found about about the site called Britain from Above which ended a 3 year long search for detailed pictures of those areas. I'd found the odd ones on Picture Sheffield and in other random places on the internet, but these were exactly what I was after. Of course, now I've found those, it only poses more questions.

I've learned quite a bit about the the old Sheffield from pictures and Old Maps and it's quite a revelation and also quite sad to see some of the things that have been pulled down, especially when you consider what was the replacement.

There are still a few nagging questions about some areas of Sheffield. I'll get around to those no doubt.

Thanks. 

On 10/06/2020 at 13:52, Sheffield History said:

102972996_2974147436013817_8316987620177034515_o.jpg

SAY HELLO!

Thank you for joining Sheffield History, a website absolutely dedicated to the amazing fantastic history of our brilliant City of Sheffield

You are now part of an incredible community of people who contribute photos, thoughts, opinions and memories of Sheffield's past.

How long have you been reading Sheffield History? How did you first find us? What made you join the site? What aspects of Sheffield History interests you the most? 

Please post in this thread to say hello and introduce yourself to everyone..

On 22/07/2020 at 11:51, Organgrinder said:

Hi there,

My name's Tony.  Was born in Sheffield early 1940 in Heeley.

Went to Anns Road School and then Rowlinson (with a spell at Carrfield whilst Rowlinson was being completed)

First job at Wicker Goods Station, Saville street. In the cutlery trade for most of my remaining working life as a Grinder.

I love the old Sheffield that I knew as a child / teenager and young married man and, for the most part, hate the changes which have been made in the name of progress.

When did progress come to mean getting worse instead of getting better? 

Hi

just to introduce myself, my name is Arthur Wild and a born and bred Sheffielder. Born in Neepsend behind Stones brewery I subsequently lived on Wybourn (rehoused after the Gale), the Manor finally finishing up on Parkhill Flats.

Starting work as a timed served electrician I then joined the Royal Air Force in which I served for 22 years. I married a Doncaster girl so now I reside in Doncaster but I’m Sheffield through and through.

I loved my life in Sheffield and I’m fixated with the changes both good and bad that have happened in the city. My my biggest disappointment is the demise of engineering and steel making as I spent the start of my working life in these industries. Not so enamoured by the move a more service related economy as I feel Sheffielders are better at working in more practical based industries as, like true Yorkshire folk, they are not noted for their diplomacy.

I’m still a regular to Sheffield all my family are there headed by my 90 year old mother and of course going to Hillsborough. When I visit always say its Coronation Street in real life because Sheffielders like nothing better than a good gossip.

On 22/07/2020 at 11:51, Organgrinder said:

Hi there,

My name's Tony.  Was born in Sheffield early 1940 in Heeley.

Went to Anns Road School and then Rowlinson (with a spell at Carrfield whilst Rowlinson was being completed)

First job at Wicker Goods Station, Saville street. In the cutlery trade for most of my remaining working life as a Grinder.

I love the old Sheffield that I knew as a child / teenager and young married man and, for the most part, hate the changes which have been made in the name of progress.

When did progress come to mean getting worse instead of getting better? 

• Like 1

I am Lysanderix....formerly....Lysandernovo and even before that Lysander! Every time I change my PC I have problems signing on and end up rejoining!!!

15 hours ago, Lysanderix said:

I am Lysanderix....formerly....Lysandernovo and even before that Lysander! Every time I change my PC I have problems signing on and end up rejoining!!!

Ha ha welcome back!

Hi there, My name is Shaun and I was born in Sheffield 1954 and spent my early years in Pitsmoor. I believe I have been a member of this site for sometime but have not visited it for a while. It's nice to be back !

A bit late introducing myself but here goes. My name is Dot and although born in Rotherham I live over the border in Derbyshire. My mother was Sheffield born and bred, living on Ramsey Rd, Sheffield 10 area. I started looking for  old Sheffield photos to try and build up a better picture of my heritage. I was born in the 50s and remember visiting my grandfather and seeing remains of buildings damaged by WW2 bombs. 

Hi my name is Janet, born 1945 in Woodseats, moved to Beauchief when married and emigrated to Perth Western Australia in 1985 still love the history of Sheffield and the UK and visit whenever I can, been a member of this site for a few years

Hi - I'm The General,

What a great idea for a site - I lost my Dad in August 2021 - He would have absolutly loved this site and contributed even though he was a luddite.

Great to be part of the community.

The General

• Like 1

Hi, I have been a member for years. Born 1955. Well traveled but I have lived in Sheffield all my life. Experienced nature lover especially expert in the birdlife around Sheffield. Parson cross, Hillsborough and town canter have been my stomping ground. I am a real ale fan and me and my wife have been in all the pubs open and closed in most areas around Sheffpeld. I have asked for information about Wadsley Bridge brick yard and quarry where I used to play in the 60s but so far to no avail.

• Like 2

I'm Julie, lived in Upperthorpe til I was 11, then stannington. lloking for old pics of Upperthorpe area and names of places I hav forgotten

• Like 1

On 03/03/2022 at 10:43, Julie ann said:

I'm Julie, lived in Upperthorpe til I was 11, then stannington. lloking for old pics of Upperthorpe area and names of places I hav forgotten

Welcome - there's quite a bit on Upperthorpe on the site so have a delve and you should find what you need!

If not just ask and people will find it for you

Hi, I'm Heather, and very new to this site (joined this week 🙂). I was brought up mainly on Low Edges (or Lowedges as it now seems to be called), went to Bradway County School on Low Edges Road (school has had a couple of names since then) and then to King Ecgbert School for six years. We lived at Low Edges until I married Bob Reid. We met whilst at work - me working at Crown Wallpaper & Paints on West Bar, him working at Gees Wallpaper and Paints on Shoreham Street. All that was way back in 1967, and a year later we married. We've lived at Heeley, Wincobank, Firvale, short time on Hyde Park Flats (hurrah for student games as we got rehoused lol) and now live in Broomhall (at top end which used to be called Broomfields). Since the mid 80's I'd mainly worked in offices up until 2010 when I retired.

I've seen this site a few times when I have been researching our family tree and came across it earlier this year when searching for some of the older street names. 

• Like 1

On 15/04/2022 at 20:17, Stenner said:

Hi, I'm Heather, and very new to this site (joined this week 🙂). I was brought up mainly on Low Edges (or Lowedges as it now seems to be called), went to Bradway County School on Low Edges Road (school has had a couple of names since then) and then to King Ecgbert School for six years. We lived at Low Edges until I married Bob Reid. We met whilst at work - me working at Crown Wallpaper & Paints on West Bar, him working at Gees Wallpaper and Paints on Shoreham Street. All that was way back in 1967, and a year later we married. We've lived at Heeley, Wincobank, Firvale, short time on Hyde Park Flats (hurrah for student games as we got rehoused lol) and now live in Broomhall (at top end which used to be called Broomfields). Since the mid 80's I'd mainly worked in offices up until 2010 when I retired.

I've seen this site a few times when I have been researching our family tree and came across it earlier this year when searching for some of the older street names. 

Ask your husband if he worked with Win Dolby on Shoreham Street.

8 hours ago, tozzin said:

Ask your husband if he worked with Win Dolby on Shoreham Street.

He can vaguely recall maybe two ladies called Win, one used to work with Gloria on the wallpaper bench wrapping orders and the other in the canteen (guessing there may have only been one though as it's a long while ago lol). He can remember they used to call her Little Win though

1 hour ago, Stenner said:

He can vaguely recall maybe two ladies called Win, one used to work with Gloria on the wallpaper bench wrapping orders and the other in the canteen (guessing there may have only been one though as it's a long while ago lol). He can remember they used to call her Little Win though

My sister Win worked on the wallpaper and eventually the paint.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, tozzin said:

My sister Win worked on the wallpaper and eventually the paint.

So yes, he does recall your sister working with Gloria. Bob's dad worked there too - also called Bob :)

6 hours ago, Stenner said:

So yes, he does recall your sister working with Gloria. Bob's dad worked there too - also called Bob :)

My sister loved her time there, sadly she died a few years ago.