The outer circle

Guest Colin

Guest Colin

Not so much a place as an adventure- the outer circle - bus services 2 &3. The way to wile away a Sunday afternoon and see bits of our city. From the industry of the lower Don valley to the rurality (is that a word) of the Rivelin valley.

In the late sixties it was a cheap afternoons entertainment, about a shilling for two hours of exploration. Where else could you see the centre of Britain's industrial might, some high density housing, parks, the homes of middle class bank managers and an awful lot of hills in 2 hours.

Not so much a place as an adventure- the outer circle - bus services 2 &3. The way to wile away a Sunday afternoon and see bits of our city. From the industry of the lower Don valley to the rurality (is that a word) of the Rivelin valley.

In the late sixties it was a cheap afternoons entertainment, about a shilling for two hours of exploration. Where else could you see the centre of Britain's industrial might, some high density housing, parks, the homes of middle class bank managers and an awful lot of hills in 2 hours.

Hi Colin, Totally agree , the Outer Circle bus was a wonderful way to spend time particularly if the weather wasn't great. When I was a lad in the 1950's my Uncle who lived at Rothay Road, Grimesthorpe used to take me on it for an afternoon. I think it was that which gave me the "hots" for Derbyshire where I was to spend many happy years subsequently walking and camping.

Cheers, John

Guest transit

Was this route number changed in the 70"s to the 2 and 59 ? If so , i used to catch it to school. I remember it coming from around Brightside ,through Darnall ,over Manor Top , and over to Gleadless.

Was this route number changed in the 70"s to the 2 and 59 ? If so , i used to catch it to school. I remember it coming from around Brightside ,through Darnall ,over Manor Top , and over to Gleadless.

Yes - in 1970 they cut back on services, and shortened the Outer Circle so that it didn't serve the part of the route between Crosspool, Rivelin Post Office and Malin Bridge. That part of the route was little-used, and the 54 Rivelin Dams bus served the valley anyway, albeit less frequently. The new, not-quite-a-circle route terminating at Malin Bridge became 2/59. Until 1970 I used the Outer Circle for a scenic, unhurried journey from Hillsborough to my friend's at Norton Lees. There was also an Innner Circle, numbered 8 and 9, which served the Infirmary, Pitsmoor, Attercliffe Road, Norfolk Park, Heeley, Nether Edge, Hunter's Bar, Broomhill and Crookesmoor. It went past my school (King Edward's) so I used it to and from Albert Terrace Road. The Inner Circle survived the 1970 changes but disappeared I guess some time in the late 1980s. Times change...