Sheffield Doss House (Shalesmoor)

Guest jossman

Guest billsaville

I was born in Shalesmoor in the 30s. I'm pretty this used to be referred to by my mother as the workhouse. She also told me some people used to sleep on a rope (stretched across the room). They used to let it down in the morning to wake everyone up. I do remember old men sat on the steps in very ragged clothes.

http://forum.casebook.org/showthread.php?t=2488 Sleeping on a rope.

I was born in Shalesmoor in the 30s. I'm pretty this used to be referred to by my mother as the workhouse. She also told me some people used to sleep on a rope (stretched across the room). They used to let it down in the morning to wake everyone up. I do remember old men sat on the steps in very ragged clothes.

Penny sit-up, two-penny hangover, four-penny coffin http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_penny_coffin.

Never heard of the coffin deal in Sheffield.

Sing along ! http://mudcat.org/thread.cfm?threadid=51655

Can anyone help me with some history of the magnificent building that was a Doss House on West Bar, all I know is that it was built around 1908 for the sole use of single down and out men.

Can anyone help me with some history of the magnificent building that was a Doss House on West Bar, all I know is that it was built around 1908 for the sole use of single down and out men.

I assume Tudor House is the buliding you are referring to:

I assume Tudor House is the buliding you are referring to:

Im not so sure about TUDOR HOUSE now as the link to laceys give Cambridge St as the address for TUDOR HOUSE not Shalesmoor/West Bar & its unlikely that when Laceys moved that they took the name with them.

I would like more of its history as i previously said who built it and for who.

Im not so sure about TUDOR HOUSE now as the link to laceys give Cambridge St as the address for TUDOR HOUSE not Shalesmoor/West Bar & its unlikely that when Laceys moved that they took the name with them.

I would like more of its history as i previously said who built it and for who.

I think that Lacey's have renamed all their premises Tudor House as they have moved into them. The name was obviously retained when Lacey's moved out but it sounds as though it probably came with the Lacey business.

There are referances to Tudor Houses at Furnival Street, Cambridge Street and West Bar. A bit too much of a coincidence if they were all called Tudor House before they took them over.

The premises at West Bar are named in my 1938 & 1942 editions of Kelly's as "The Hostel, proprietors, the executors of A. Truelove",

West Bar Sheffield 3 Telephone number 21743.

From this, it sounds as though the hostel was a private undertaking.

Has anybody got a copy of Pevsner Sheffield ? It doesn't seem to appear in the Sheffield list of listed buildings.

HD

Guest binsted71

This is from the Sheffield Pevsner Guide:-

There is also a photograph.

“On the N side of West Bar, the former Common Lodging House (now Mayfair Court), 1912, by John Reginald Truelove, whose father Alderman Truelove paid for the building. It provided hostel accommodation superior to the often insanitary lodgings of private landlords, together with public rooms and social facilities. One of the most interesting buildings of its period in the city. Tall and thin with a strikingly broad cornice, central balcony and accomplished detailing with rusticated brick quoins and contrasting red and yellow brick. The public rooms on the lower floors were lit by broad segmental-arched windows. Slit like openings to the four floors of bedrooms above which were divided by a corridor into two rows of cubicles.”

We had our office Christmas meal there this year

I'm suprised you didn't take any photographs of the inners.

I would love to see what it's like inside.

As kids we used to call it the old man's hostel when ever we walked passed it.

I think that Lacey's have renamed all their premises Tudor House as they have moved into them. The name was obviously retained when Lacey's moved out but it sounds as though it probably came with the Lacey business.

There are referances to Tudor Houses at Furnival Street, Cambridge Street and West Bar. A bit too much of a coincidence if they were all called Tudor House before they took them over.

The premises at West Bar are named in my 1938 & 1942 editions of Kelly's as "The Hostel, proprietors, the executors of A. Truelove",

West Bar Sheffield 3 Telephone number 21743.

From this, it sounds as though the hostel was a private undertaking.

Has anybody got a copy of Pevsner Sheffield ? It doesn't seem to appear in the Sheffield list of listed buildings.

HD

Im getting Pevsner book for Crimbo love that Santa!!