The Mill, Woodhouse

Neil

Hi

I'm researching my family history and I have found a Yorkshire Marriage record that details the marriage, on 4th June 1892, of a Joseph BELL and Annie Elizabeth GREENSILL. They married at the Church of St James, Woodhouse, Sheffield, Yorkshire, England. Joseph was recorded as an 'Innworker' and both Joseph and Annie were residing at (and I quote) 'The Mill Woodhouse'. Will you please put me out of my misery and let me know if there is/was a 'Mill' public house at Woodhouse or should I read this as the place 'Woodhouse Mill'.

Your help is much appreciated.

Neil

[EDIT]

The more I look at this the more I think that Joseph was an 'Ironworker' rather than an 'Innworker'. That said, the entry 'The Mill Woodhouse' would tend to imply 'Woodhouse Mill'. I think I've answered my own question ....

N

S2_GBPRS_YORKSHIRE_ENGLYOR1D_PR-111-2-1_00158.jpg

Hi Neil,

I think you are almost certainly correct with your reading of ‘ironworker’ and the marriage certificate appears to show their residence as ‘The Fence’. They would have possibly lived in one of the terraced cottages on Sheffield Road, Fence, (circled) known locally as ‘Fence Hill’ and stretches between the end of Falconer Lane and Swallownest. I would also hazard a guess that Joseph worked at the Rotherwood Iron and Steelworks (also circled) - previously Rothervale Joinery, Carr’s and now Jeld-Wen. There has been a forge, foundry and Iron/Steelworks on that site for many years and old  maps show they were on the banks of the River Rother, before they culverted it and changed it’s course to straighten it and control flooding. The occupation ‘ironworker’ could have meant that Joseph could have worked at either the Iron and Steelworks, producing the raw material, or possibly at the Forge, fabricating the metal into agricultural tools, which they were renowned for on that site.

265260FA-C1F9-487D-ADFD-9C1E9DA8D57E.jpeg