The Salvation Army Citadel building in Sheffield City Centre

Sheffield History

Screenshot 2020-05-28 at 12.53.01.jpg

100932270_3215598198502256_4575158631539933184_o.jpg

101190031_3215598368502239_307216777299886080_o.jpg

100597174_3215598651835544_7410778177313701888_o.jpg

101301098_3215598861835523_8393262739526516736_o.jpg

What do we know about the history of the Salvation Army Citadel building?

It seems to have been neglected for years although there's talk of it finally being redeveloped and utilised again!

• Like 2

Given the "puritanism" of William Booth and his Salvation Army I find the ornate plaster work on the balcony to be somewhat out of character. Perhaps I misunderstand!😄

18 hours ago, Gamal said:

Great looking building. I hope those redevelopment plans come to fruition. 

Would make the greatest live music venue

22 hours ago, lysandernovo said:

Given the "puritanism" of William Booth and his Salvation Army I find the ornate plaster work on the balcony to be somewhat out of character. Perhaps I misunderstand!😄

I quess he had Citadel's built in fancy ornate styles to compete with Church archtecture!

Booth was an erstwhile Methodist...a denomination not noted for the decoration of it's churches . Early Puritans were responsible for whitewashing the interiors of Parish Churches... to remove wall paintings as well as removing all statues etc...especially after the Civil War when Puritanism ruled! The Methodists and other non-conformist denominations continued worshiping in very plain buildings.

Booth's uniformed pseudo military organisation wears very plain dress, without ornamentation or embellishment...apart from epaulettes so I hardly see how an ornamental balcony ( out of keeping with Booth) would interest the majority of non worshiping Sheffielders when the Citadel was built.

The building attached to the Citadel and going around the corner into Pinstone Street and containing some shops and offices, was also part of the Salvation Army construction. (wonder if the Sally Army still own this block)

Construction of the Citadel started around 1892!  This dates the Picture Sheffield photograph to "c.1891"

Salvation Army plot.jpg

Salvation Army plot 2jpg.jpg

Salvation Army plot 3pg.jpg

• Like 2

The building was completed in 1894 and alterations made in 1950. The building is grade 2 listed.

• Like 1

Great aerial shots!  The architect certainly went to town with the design of the roof on the Pinstone Street building, dormers, turrets and chimneys, a bit of a challenge for the plumber installing the lead work to weather seal the different roofing shapes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, southside said:

The building attached to the Citadel and going around the corner into Pinstone Street and containing some shops and offices, was also part of the Salvation Army construction. (wonder if the Sally Army still own this block)

Construction of the Citadel started around 1892!  This dates the Picture Sheffield photograph to "c.1891"

Salvation Army plot.jpg

Salvation Army plot 2jpg.jpg

Salvation Army plot 3pg.jpg

The buildings also shown on the plan were also built by the Salvation Army . The building on the extreme left is the Yorkshireman public house.

• Like 1

It was so designed to represent an army "citadel" ( OED...a fortress protecting or overlooking a city)

• Like 1

I'd love it to become a live music venue. It just looks perfect for it

I wonder when lockdown is finally eased and we can get on with our lives again if there will be any need for new bars and restaurants given the parlous current financial position of existing places?

8 hours ago, lysandernovo said:

I wonder when lockdown is finally eased and we can get on with our lives again if there will be any need for new bars and restaurants given the parlous current financial position of existing places?

I don't think there will be as much need for them, but I can see people still opening them up and it will be a survival of the fittest.

Why the need for more bars and restaurants? it could be used for independent outlets, I for one do not want or feel the need to travel out of town to places like Meadowhall or the large supermarkets.

I quite frequently used my travel pass ( when rail was included) and go up to Leeds....a City which I disliked purely on a "tribal" basis! I was always impressed by their shopping areas and the range of outlets, interesting snickets and the general ambience of the place. I remember the days when our City proudly proclaimed its merits as a shopping and entertainments centre. Apart from de-industrialisation ( which Leeds also suffered) what went wrong?

I could never understand, in fact I still don’t, as to why the council allowed the destruction of all the old Victorian shops on Pinstone Street including the Cambridge Arcade, then add insult to injury allow the horrible buildings that were put up in their place. Thanks to picture Sheffield.

image.png.c9ab880f5fe5a78a1f1e6ba86b9930c1.png

image.png.aec0855c83d79576f37b38d7874e8716.png

• Like 3

Sheffield had a reputation of being the "City of Philistines". Not sure about all of us but certainly Sheffield Corporation, at one stage, seemed hell bent on destroying anything that was "old" in the name of modernisation. Listing buildings ( such as the Citadel) tempered the enthusiasm!

4 hours ago, lysandernovo said:

Sheffield had a reputation of being the "City of Philistines". Not sure about all of us but certainly Sheffield Corporation, at one stage, seemed hell bent on destroying anything that was "old" in the name of modernisation. Listing buildings ( such as the Citadel) tempered the enthusiasm!

Until it accidentally burns down, is blown away by a freak gust of wind, or whatever unlikely explanation they come up with...

</sarcasm>

Yes, I remember a certain Bishops House being suddenly demolished ( unsafe)  despite a local college offering to repair and restore it as a practical piece of work for its building course students>

8 hours ago, Oldbloke said:

Until it accidentally burns down, is blown away by a freak gust of wind, or whatever unlikely explanation they come up with...

</sarcasm>

The Duke of York pub in Darnall was demolished a few years back thanks to the council selling out to Lidl. Pulling down a building that's been there since 1825 just so the Lidl sign can seen from further up Main Road. 

I guess it's the speculator's who own the building's that have the final say, bit like what happened with the old Town Hall! If you don't let us develop it our way, we'll let it fall into disrepair.