A Jeffery General Dealer

SteveHB

1 hour ago, SteveHB said:

Sugar, lard, marg and eggs

It was nice when you could go just a few yards to the corner shop to get most things. I have this picture, and mine is dated 1915., I am not sure if that is correct, but what struck me was "DANISH NEW LAID EGGS". How long would it take eggs to get from a Danish farm to a Walkley shop in the Great War, and also there would be no refrigeration. When we had no electricity/refrigeration we kept eggs in isinglass if they were to be kept for more than a few weeks.

1 hour ago, boginspro said:

It was nice when you could go just a few yards to the corner shop to get most things. I have this picture, and mine is dated 1915., I am not sure if that is correct, but what struck me was "DANISH NEW LAID EGGS". How long would it take eggs to get from a Danish farm to a Walkley shop in the Great War, and also there would be no refrigeration. When we had no electricity/refrigeration we kept eggs in isinglass if they were to be kept for more than a few weeks.

That reminds me of when I worked for a well known fish and poultry dealer, I used to top up the eggs displayed in the shop window, there were two types on sale, fresh and free range eggs, but only one box of eggs to top up from, so I asked the shop owner why that was?
His reply was "Why, can you tell the difference, between the two"?