Myers Lane near Worrall

calibrator

While walking along Myers Lane near Worrall I noticed what looks like a marker stone on the north side of the road at 53.24.56 North x 1.33.10 West, it appears to have ODC 1868 No1 engraved on it. Although I'm from Worrall originally and must have walked past it many times this is the first time I've noticed it. Can anyone tell me what it is for? Also, on all the old maps there is a building called Larch Hall close to this marker. As a child I always knew the area as Larch Hall but there was nothing to see even back then [1960's]. Can anyone tell me anything about Larch Hall?

Pete

DSCN2783.JPG

• Like 1

Not sure, but it could be something to do with ecclesiastical districts

"Oughtibridge was formed into an ecclesiastical district in 1868 (also including
Worrall, Onesacre and Wharncliffe Side) in the Ecclesfield parish"

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/content/dam/sheffield/docs/libraries-and-archives/archives-and-local-studies/local-area-history/Oughtibridge Community History (PDF) v1-0.pdf

Nothing of note to add, but a fascinating (to me) series of maps from old-maps.co.uk, showing the encroachment of the gannister mine (presumably a quarry)

1893 not too close

myers lane 1890.jpg

1904 getting very close

myers lane 1904.jpg

1923 all the way around

myers lane 1923.jpg

1934 no Larch Hall

myers lane 1934.jpg

And an overlay from NLS: https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17&lat=53.41529&lon=-1.54781&layers=168&b=4

Larch Hall overlay.jpg

• Like 1

Morning all

Thanks to everyone who has replied, it's all very interesting. I love the old maps and often find myself looking at the NLS site. When I was a kid the area where Larch Hall stood was a WRDC [Wortley Rural District Council] domestic tip and we kids would go there to look for pram wheels to make a trolley. They have things ready made these days!

Do you think the 'O' could stand for Oughtibridge?

Cheers, Pete

On 23/05/2020 at 20:06, SteveHB said:

Not sure, but it could be something to do with ecclesiastical districts

"Oughtibridge was formed into an ecclesiastical district in 1868 (also including
Worrall, Onesacre and Wharncliffe Side) in the Ecclesfield parish"

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/content/dam/sheffield/docs/libraries-and-archives/archives-and-local-studies/local-area-history/Oughtibridge Community History (PDF) v1-0.pdf

Is it possible that this is the base of a Cross ? ... which may link in with the Ecclesiastical District date. As for the Number One ... maybe there are others out there.

The top, to me, looks too uneven to have been ‘carved’.

On 23/05/2020 at 16:07, calibrator said:

While walking along Myers Lane near Worrall I noticed what looks like a marker stone on the north side of the road at 53.24.56 North x 1.33.10 West, it appears to have ODC 1868 No1 engraved on it. Although I'm from Worrall originally and must have walked past it many times this is the first time I've noticed it. Can anyone tell me what it is for? Also, on all the old maps there is a building called Larch Hall close to this marker. As a child I always knew the area as Larch Hall but there was nothing to see even back then [1960's]. Can anyone tell me anything about Larch Hall?

Pete

DSCN2783.JPG

A picture of one of these came up on another Sheffield history group (on Facebook) quite recently. A poster on there said that ODC stands for Ordinance Department Control. Supposedly used as boundary markers and in some cases relate to access permissions. 

On 23/05/2020 at 16:07, calibrator said:

Pete

DSCN2783.JPG

Further to previous posts ... I have contacted Malcom Nunn, Archivist for Bradfield Parish, and genuinely nice man, for his comments.

He is aware of this stone, and believes the ODC stands for Oughtibridge and District Chapelry, which came about when Oughtibridge Church of the Ascension opened.

He also points out that there would be 4 of these stones ... one for each ‘corner’ of the District. He believes the stone on Myers Lane is actually No 4 ... not No 1, and a closer look would seem to bear this out.

Malcolm has seen stone No 2 ... at the junction of Oughtibridge Lane and Stubbing House Lane, and I have a 1923 map which indicates a ‘stone’ in that location.

He has never found stones 1 and 3 ... but believes, to fit the ‘corners’ theory, that they would have been at the top end of Onesacre and near Middlewood Tavern.  However he does think that they no longer exist but a ‘scout round’ in better weather may be in order.

Thanks for this information Malcolm.

• Like 2

Hi

Thanks to everyone who has commented, Malcolm's thoughts are very interesting and probably near the mark. I'm not sure about whether it's a 1 or a 4. I'll have to go and have another look sometime. Unfortunately there is a deep wet ditch between the road and the stone and I'd hate to fall into it!

Pete

On the 1841 census Larch Hall was being farmed by George W Tingle, living with his wife Mary Ann and five children and visited by wife's sister Sophia Dungworth and niece Sarah.  His wife and sister in law were the daughters of my 4x gt.grandparents William and Mary Peace, living at Spout House, Stannington.   On the 1851 census George and Mary Ann had moved to Stubbing.  On this census the farm labourer was William Ashforth residing at Larch Hall with his wife Charlotte nee Revitt and two children.     My connection to Charlotte Ashforth is through my gt.grandmother Ann Bark's sister Betsy who was the wife of Morgan Revitt (his gt.grandfather Richard being Charlotte father).  I haven't researched Larch Hall further as my family connection had moved on.   

Hello again ... and Paul, I trust you have not fallen into that ditch.  In fact I’ve found some information which means you don’t have to put your ‘life at risk’.

First, following Malcolm’s comments, I’ve located the ‘second’ stone, on the corner of Oughtibridge Lane and Stubbing House Lane ... see below.  Unfortunately, it is too deeply set to see the Number 2, but the inscription ODC is clear, and the date of 1868 is just about readable, although not on the picture.

There is a record, in THE GAZETTE Official Public Record, dated June 23rd, 1868, which confirms the location of two stones, and that No 1 is on Myers Lane, and No 2 is, as above.  

Note there is a Stubbing Lane, close to Myers Lane ... Stubbing House Lane is near the top of Jawbone Hill, on the opposite side of Oughtibridge.   Has the topic of Jawbone v Whalejaw ever been resolved ?

There is a further record in THE GAZETTE, dated 10th February, 1939, which gives details of the ODC boundary north of Oughtibridge ... but does not mention any further stones.  If anybody does find any, please get in touch.

814F5130-C1D1-424B-B809-338D7D5274CF.thumb.jpeg.d9a853d2a65d342cbf8a9050ae4d21c2.jpeg

Thanks to Malinda for the family history. With regard to Stubbing, the 2 properties on Stubbing Lane were occupied by a family called Rowett on the south side and Moore on the north side. This was 50 years ago, time just flies!

Thanks for the information Ratter, at least I won't be putting my life in peril to verify the 'No1'. Let's hope the other 2 stones will be discovered eventually.

Chers, Pete