Church's Grocery & Beer Stores

SteveHB

1911 directory, has 2 shops listed in the name of Church, which were on steep hills.

John Church - 157 Channing Street, Walkley

William James Church - 148 Grammar Street, ( near Langsett Road )

Wondered if it was either of these.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Heartshome said:

1911 directory, has 2 shops listed in the name of Church, which were on steep hills.

Here is number148 Grammar Street at a later date, it does not appear to be the same shop, so it could well be 157 Channing Street, Walkley.

https://www.picturesheffield.com/Ref_No_s16354

s16354.jpg

Guest leksand
On 17/06/2020 at 19:56, Heartshome said:

(Both premises were only off-licences. The shop in the top picture has an on licence!)

Comment withdrawn - apologies - spent a couple of hours hunting then spotted the "Not to be ...". Woops

Also found this in the Beer Retailers thread:

Walter Church Grocer and Beer Retailer 208 South Rd., Walkley Kelly's 1893

Forgive my ignorance, but where would this have been? I can't find a 208 South Road on Google maps...

22 minutes ago, Stu_1981 said:

Also found this in the Beer Retailers thread:

Walter Church Grocer and Beer Retailer 208 South Rd., Walkley Kelly's 1893

Forgive my ignorance, but where would this have been? I can't find a 208 South Road on Google maps...

Hi Stu, South Road is continued from Howard Road, find Walkley Parish Church and you got it.

9 minutes ago, Heartshome said:

Hi Stu, South Road is continued from Howard Road, find Walkley Parish Church and you got it.

Hi Heartshome

I still can't find a number 208 South Road. Where South Road starts (at the junction with Howard Road) it seems to start from number ~240. I'm totally confused!

EDIT: The address is wrong. Found a Walter Church at 272 South Road that had a beer off licence!

10 minutes ago, Stu_1981 said:

Hi Heartshome

I still can't find a number 208 South Road. Where South Road starts (at the junction with Howard Road) it seems to start from number ~240. I'm totally confused!

EDIT: The address is wrong. Found a Walter Church at 272 South Road that had a beer off licence!

Yes, It can get very confusing searching in the past, boundary changes, roads disappearing, or same name in another area.

This is 272 South Road, which doesn't match the photo at start of thread. 

272 South Road.jpg

EDIT: I had also missed @Heartshome's clever observation that the shop was on a steep hill due to the slope of the ground and the step down of the terrace roof! Apologies!