Jump to content

Church's Grocery & Beer Stores


Recommended Posts

  • 4 weeks later...
Heartshome

1911 directory, has 2 shops listed in the name of Church, which were on steep hills.

John Church - 157 Channing Street, Walkley

William James Church - 148 Grammar Street, ( near Langsett Road )

Wondered if it was either of these.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
SteveHB
11 hours ago, Heartshome said:

1911 directory, has 2 shops listed in the name of Church, which were on steep hills.

John Church - 157 Channing Street, Walkley

William James Church - 148 Grammar Street, ( near Langsett Road )

Wondered if it was either of these.

Here is number148 Grammar Street at a later date, it does not appear to be the same shop, so it could well be 157 Channing Street, Walkley.

https://www.picturesheffield.com/Ref_No_s16354

s16354.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
leksand
On 17/06/2020 at 19:56, Heartshome said:

1911 directory, has 2 shops listed in the name of Church, which were on steep hills.

John Church - 157 Channing Street, Walkley

William James Church - 148 Grammar Street, ( near Langsett Road )

Wondered if it was either of these.

(Both premises were only off-licences. The shop in the top picture has an on licence!)

Comment withdrawn - apologies - spent a couple of hours hunting then spotted the "Not to be ...". Woops

Link to post
Share on other sites
Stu_1981

Also found this in the Beer Retailers thread:

Walter Church Grocer and Beer Retailer 208 South Rd., Walkley Kelly's 1893

 Forgive my ignorance, but where would this have been? I can't find a 208 South Road on Google maps...

Link to post
Share on other sites
Heartshome
22 minutes ago, Stu_1981 said:

Also found this in the Beer Retailers thread:

Walter Church Grocer and Beer Retailer 208 South Rd., Walkley Kelly's 1893

 Forgive my ignorance, but where would this have been? I can't find a 208 South Road on Google maps...

Hi Stu, South Road is continued from Howard Road, find Walkley Parish Church and you got it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Stu_1981
9 minutes ago, Heartshome said:

Hi Stu, South Road is continued from Howard Road, find Walkley Parish Church and you got it.

Hi Heartshome

I still can't find a number 208 South Road. Where South Road starts (at the junction with Howard Road) it seems to start from number ~240. I'm totally confused!

EDIT: The address is wrong. Found a Walter Church at 272 South Road that had a beer off licence!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Heartshome
10 minutes ago, Stu_1981 said:

Hi Heartshome

I still can't find a number 208 South Road. Where South Road starts (at the junction with Howard Road) it seems to start from number ~240. I'm totally confused!

EDIT: The address is wrong. Found a Walter Church at 272 South Road that had a beer off licence!

Yes, It can get very confusing searching in the past, boundary changes, roads disappearing, or same name in another area.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Stu_1981

This is 272 South Road, which doesn't match the photo at start of thread. 

272 South Road.jpg

EDIT: I had also missed @Heartshome's clever observation that the shop was on a steep hill due to the slope of the ground and the step down of the terrace roof! Apologies!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...