Sheffield Corporation Transport One Off Buses.

boginspro

Sheffield had a few one offs, here are three, there must have been more. The first one is a one off colour scheme on a Regent 1, ex show bus that was full fronted but converted to half cab, sensibly, when it came to Sheffield. The second was fleet number 54, AEC Regal, the only half canopy body for Sheffield. The third was, I think the only Sheffield Transport Bedford, not in my opinion a good advert for Cravens.

208_regent_1_bwb526_v1.jpg

54_v1.jpg

11_bedford_vas1_kwa811d_v1.jpg

• Like 1

Another demonstrator was ATJ 778, fleet number 299 a Leyland TD4c which was in service from 1936 until 1949 and may have been instrumental in the post war decision to invest in PD2's as in subsequent years many more Leylands were purchased. The war years had seen 'Utility' vehicles being acquired from whoever could supply, which included other undertakings, resulting in a very varied fleet  and hiring in from others at times of difficulty. It was an interesting period before motor cars started their inexorable intrusion into our lives and affected public transport to its detriment. Compared with fleets of Routemasters and RT's Sheffield probably had more "Oddities" than any other bus fleet in the country!  It certainly had a very popular coloured livery as the 1952 experimental Green soon dicovered:angry:

• Like 1

On 22/05/2020 at 18:01, Voldy said:

Another demonstrator was ATJ 778, fleet number 299 a Leyland TD4c which was in service from 1936 until 1949

Here's a couple of pictures of ATJ 778 from the Leyland Torque magazine.

ATJ778_v1.jpg

ATJ778_rear_v1.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for the pictures, I  definitely rode on this bus a number of times in Sheffield during its years in service. The conductor could change the route number and destination blinds from the upper deck whilst the bus was being driven, e.g. 98 Southey Green to 61 Nether Edge, which added to the interest for a young enthusiast:)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Voldy said:

Thanks for the pictures, I  definitely rode on this bus a number of times in Sheffield during its years in service. The conductor could change the route number and destination blinds from the upper deck whilst the bus was being driven, e.g. 98 Southey Green to 61 Nether Edge, which added to the interest for a young enthusiast:)

I don't think I ever travelled on a gearless bus but some of the older drivers would talk about them and I worked with Charlie Deamer who I mentioned in this post. ---------