Oxford Mews, Hanover Street

Gabriel

Does anybody have any info or pictures regarding Oxford Mews? It was occupied by Joseph Tomlinson & Sons Ltd. and was located on the corner of Hanover Street and Ecclesall Road. I’m unsure as to where it was located. 

I’m wondering if anybody can help me?

Thanks 

Whites 1901 directory has:

162 Moore Street - Tomlinson Joseph & Sons Lim. Cab proprietors

162 is listed as the last property on Moore Street before the junction with Ecclesall Road. Prior to the end of the 19th century Moore STreet was known as Oxford Road

AN 1890 map (from old-maps.co.uk. Ecclesall Road is the road across the bottom of the map, Hanover Street is coming down from the top and Oxford Road is heading off to the top right of the map. Possibly somewhere in the vicinity of the marker was Oxford Mews.

oxford road junction.jpg

48 minutes ago, madannie77 said:

Whites 1901 directory has:

162 Moore Street - Tomlinson Joseph & Sons Lim. Cab proprietors

162 is listed as the last property on Moore Street before the junction with Ecclesall Road. Prior to the end of the 19th century Moore STreet was known as Oxford Road

AN 1890 map (from old-maps.co.uk. Ecclesall Road is the road across the bottom of the map, Hanover Street is coming down from the top and Oxford Road is heading off to the top right of the map. Possibly somewhere in the vicinity of the marker was Oxford Mews.

White's 1905.

Tomlinson  Joseph  &  Sons  Ltd.  cab  &  carriage proprietors, Oxford Mews,  162  Moore Street.

• Like 1

Typical that neither of the two Whites I looked at (1901 and 1911) mentions Oxford Mews in the street by street listing:blink:.

Next time perhaps I should look in the alphabetical listing, where it is mentioned.

From the 1901 Whites directory advertisement section. Four locations given, all with telephone numbers.

tomlinson 1901.jpg

• Like 1

I was thinking the same when I saw that one from Picture Sheffield.

A couple of post WW2 shots from Britain from Above, showing the neighbouring buildings as well

moore street 1947.jpg

moore street 1952.jpg

• Like 1

Ahh yes. That definitely is Oxford Mews because in a directory I read, 287 Hanover Street, which has been written on the picture from Picturesheffield above. 

Thank you both so much!

• Like 1

In the bottom picture you can just about see some of Tomlinson’s Ecclesall garage

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Gabriel said:

In the bottom picture you can just about see some of Tomlinson’s Ecclesall garage

Map, coverage area increased

• Like 1

In 1898, Tomlinson’s acquired 19 dwelling houses, the front ones numbered 43 to 67, Ecclesall Road, with the stabling, shoeing forges, riding school, carriage building works and other buildings behind. The property numbered 1 was valued back in 1898 at £8,615 (£1,128,126.91 in today’s money) and all the remaining properties were purchased for £11,721 (£1,534,912.10 in today’s money)