Roscoe Carriage and Harness Works and motor Garage, Infirmary Road

Gabriel

Does anybody have any info or photos regarding Roscoe Carriage and Harness Works on Infirmary Road? It was leased for 5 years by Joseph Tomlinson & Sons Ltd. until 1910. After the lease ran out, it was turned into the Peoples' Electric Picture Palace. Before Tomlinson’s leased it, it was G. Barron's Carriage and Harness Works. 

Just wondering if anybody has any more info or even any pictures of it when it was the carriage works.

Any help will be gratefully received.

Thanks

Oh yes brilliant! 

Again, it’s quite a large area.

Tomlinson’s converted it for coach building, chassis repairs, etc. and for the sales of various makers of cars. They transferred this motor business to the premises on Ecclesall Road, after the lease ran out in 1910.  

The proprietor was George Reuben Barron, b 1854, Scotton Lincolnshire. In the late 1870's his business premises were at 27 Penistone Road. In the 1881 census he was single, boarding at 57 Cross Bedford Street. By 1891 he was living at 7 Jobson Rd, with his nephew Reuben Welch, a harness maker.

The earliest I can find him trading as Roscoe's  in the newspaper's is a reference to them exhibiting in the Ecclesfield Agricultural Show in 1889.

In August of the same year they relocated to Infirmary Road from their previous premises on Penistone Road.

He married in 1898, and in 1901 had accommodation on his business premises at No 1 Infirmary Road.

Screenshot_20200522-190843.jpg

In July of 1902, everything went up for auction.

Screenshot_20200522-193402.jpg

By September 1905, Tomlinson's were advertising at Roscoes Carriage and Motor Works.

Screenshot_20200522-194128.jpg

Tomlinson's tenure seems to be fairly brief, the property had been advertised in May 1905.

It doesn't appear that George was a failure...this article from 1929 suggests he was very much a success.

Screenshot_20200523-005052.jpg

Screenshot_20200523-010009.jpg

• Like 1

Tomlinson’s leased the building for 5 years up until 1910. They moved to a bigger location (63 Ecclesall Road) as their motor body building and motor repair business expanded. I wonder what the site was being used for from 1902 to 1905. 

In White's 1901 directory 1-7 Infirmary Road is listed as George Barron, coach builder, which is as expected.

White's 1905 directory has nothing for this property, suggesting that when the information was compiled Tomlinson's had not moved in. I imagine that there was quite a time lag between the information being compiled and publication of the directory, so this is not too surprising.

I wonder if the lack of an entry indicates that the property was unoccupied prior to Tomlinsons moving in.

• Like 1

Yeah I looked in the phone directory for Tomlinson's in 1905 and it didn’t list the Roscoe premises, but in 1906 it was listed.