Sheffield in 1966 - Film Footage

Sheffield History

Fascinating film. The sense of optimism stands out. The pride in mechanisation which within a few short decades will be completely overturned by computerisation.  

3 hours ago, Sheffield History said:

Great film. I'm guessing the yard at around 10 minutes to 15 ...is where the Royal Mail Centre is now, i recognise some of the old buildings that were there up until  about 20 years back.one or 2 are still around today on BR land

As it's the Grimesthorpe depot I'm guessing parts of it were on the other side of the line off Carlisle Street and where the Amazon warehouse currently is.?

I'm astounded regarding the absolute quality of this film!

It looks like it was filmed yesterday!

Excellent film. Love the bit early on where the coil steel train is leaving "Sheffield" but is clearly leaving Aldwarke in Rotherham!

Any idea when the Grimesthorpe Depot  was closed down ?

I remember it was just wasteland all through the late 80s and 90s prior to the Royal Mail Centre being built ... 

8 hours ago, WestTinsley said:

Any idea when the Grimesthorpe Depot  was closed down ?

I remember it was just wasteland all through the late 80s and 90s prior to the Royal Mail Centre being built ... 

Wiki answers that one:

A major fire in 1985 proved convenient for the closure of the Grimesthorpe parcels / freight depot, which by that time was only being used for limited steel industry-related activity

I remember when it caught fire, I was out doing some road survey work in Brightside and got diverted on my way back to Manor Lane depot, really bad fire, loads of smoke. By that time I think the depot was run by National Carriers.