The Roundabout outside Sheffield Town Hall

Sheffield History

99108201_3601755993184277_5586957470829379584_o.jpg

Did you know that in the 1960's there was a roundabout placed at the top of Fargate outside the Town Hall?

• Like 2

Hi,

There was a time around the early to mid 60's when the roundabout had a fountain and pond. I have vague memory of the Police Officer at the time - PC Jack Meadows (?) telling the story of how he had to speak to a woman who insisted on stripping off and jumping in the pool! Over fifty years can play tricks with the memory, is there anyone out there who has a memory of this wonderful event?

Cheers,

Wazzie Worrall

It was illuminated by changing coloured lights...an early sign of the "City on the Move" ...as we proudly boasted.

Hi lysandernovo

I forgot about the coloured lights, they were wonderful to see!

Wasn't 'City on the Move' a late 60's innovation, my memory of actual dates is very limited?

Cheers,

Wazzie Worrall.

The Goodwin fountain it was called, the lights were controlled by a huge electro-mechanical box in the gents toilets under the Town Hall. It was a large box with electric motor and chain driven contacts feeding a bundle of cables that went across to a manhole at the side of the fountain. The lamps were in the wall around the fountain edge behind gelatine coloured glass, red, yellow and blue, and there were some more in the middle around the fountain. The timing of the contacts and varying voltage gave  a combination using these primary colours, so you got orange and green as well.

Nigel L

Hi Nigel,

Thanks for the brilliant description of the Goodwin Fountain, many people take the marvels of these wonders for granted.

'Goodwin' is an interesting family name, the University has Goodwin Buildings, who were they?

Cheers,

Wazzie Worrall

9 minutes ago, Voldy said:

This was covered not long ago in its own thread, see here:   

Hi Voldy,

Thanks for the message, I wasn't aware of the posting.

Cheers,

Wazzie Worrall

On 19/05/2020 at 21:17, Sheffield History said:

99108201_3601755993184277_5586957470829379584_o.jpg

Did you know that in the 1960's there was a roundabout placed at the top of Fargate outside the Town Hall?

Work on this temporary arrangement must have started soon after the last tram day in October 1960 as the track is still there and plenty of old oil road lamps are evident. Compared with current safety standards this 'Temporary ' barrier looks quite flimsy but would not have been there long, the fountain was in use within months.

The fountain was named in honour of Sir Stuartt Goodwin...Chairman of Neepsend Steel and Tool Corporation.. as well as ofSheffield Refreshment Houses ( and a Hotel in London which he bought outright after they hadn't a spare room for him on a visit to London) and other companies. A philanthropist whose employees  often wished he had been more generous with their salaries/wages,

Thanks for information.

There are so many 'Sheffield' names which I take for granted.

Cheers,

Wazzie Worrall