C&A Stores on Sheffield High Street

Sheffield History

98359897_3586372711389272_3981892247732879360_o.jpg

Here's a photograph of C&A on High Street in Sheffield.

It was taken circa 1938 when there was a sale on holiday macs and raincoats!

Does anyone remember C&A?

I remember going there as a child - it seemed to be the go-to place for cheap(ish) kids clothes at the time, and they were tough enough for the rough and tumble at school. My only real recollection of the shop was it being very hot inside at one end and freezing at the other because of the huge doors. It was quite a shock when C&A closed (must be nearly 20 years ago) because there was so little warning. Presumably the building is scheduled for demolition now as part of the revamp of that area?

It has recently been converted to an Easy Hotel, so perhaps it is not going to be demolished any time soon. I can't imagine the owners spending lots of money on converting the building if demolition was likely.

Oh that's good news, thanks for the info

Just found an old Yorkshire Post article about it, suggesting the plan was to demolish part of the site:

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/business/new-hotel-plans-former-primark-store-1787629

The development comprises the first phase of a larger scheme with the second phase seeing the demolition of 51 to 57 High Street (also occupied by Primark) to deliver a residential scheme, which will be addressed as part of a separate application.

On 15/05/2020 at 13:02, lysandernovo said:

Wasn't it bombed on 13 December 1940 and subsequently rebuilt in the 1950s? 

I remember seeing it in its bombed out state during the 1950s. 

I remember C & A and once having to climb back up the down escalator because my mum changed her mind about going downstairs! It became Primark until they moved to the Moor. The building has been split up and the bottom half is an Easy Hotel. The part where the main entrance was is still empty and apprarently there were plans to build a tall apartment block on it.