Does this scene look familiar to you?

Sheffield History

A lot of character was lost from the area with their demolition, I used the tool shop a lot.

Yeah I thought it was Waingate but just can't place whereabouts..

15 hours ago, Sheffield History said:

Screenshot 2020-05-13 at 22.43.52.jpg

What do we know about this place, the businesses, the buildings etc?

I used to buy detachable shirt collars from Colvin’s , I think Sugarmans sold TVs, radio’s etc.

On 14/05/2020 at 13:48, tozzin said:

I used to buy detachable shirt collars from Colvin’s , I think Sugarmans sold TVs, radio’s etc.

The SUT shop was managed in the '60's by a friend of mine by the name of Malcom Suiter SUT eventually became part of what is now National Express. For many years the ticket office was in Pond Street

On 26/11/2020 at 16:41, martin said:

It looked better then , to what it does now ; this is how you destroy character.!

It certainly did ! The more recent photo could easily be mistaken for 1980's Moscow.

Yes it’s Waingate, just before Ladies Bridge, the tool shop was owned by Hindley. They together with Hawley Tools in Button Lane were the main suppliers of builders and joiners tools when I was an apprentice in 1959. Both these businesses offered a discount on production of your Union Book. Hindley disappeared, I think in the 1960,s and Ken Hawley moved from Button Lane to premises off the Moor. Ken died a couple of years ago but imparted a wealth of lifetimes knowledge on tools to the Kellam island museum, where there is a museum section named after him.

On 14/05/2020 at 11:04, boginspro said:

A lot of character was lost from the area with their demolition, I used the tool shop a lot.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but isn’t it cheaper to demolish than to pay business rates in respect of empty un-let property?

On 27/12/2020 at 07:37, DaveJC said:

Please correct me if I am wrong, but isn’t it cheaper to demolish than to pay business rates in respect of empty un-let property?

I am not sure what you mean here, I don't recollect these shops being unlet until they were due for demolition. In my time in Sheffield, before Meadowhall and the general demolition of some of our fine buildings and markets there were virtually no empty shops in Sheffield. Also the last time I saw Sheffield there were more empty shops and offices than I had ever seen and  many of the occupied shops did little for the City's reputation. If you advocate pulling empty building down instead of trying to fill them you would demolish half the city. but in my opinion the council should be doing a lot more to attract reputable small traders.

Colvins

I shopped at Colvins for Levi's and Stay pressed trousers Two tone or plain. It was a great shop for young people in the late sixties and seventies. If you go to successful town centers or cities, these are the type of shops you find. Hopefully we will recover from the problems of the last few years but these will not be part of the rejuvenation. This area is at the moment the most run down area of town and in need of some decent planning. Owners of these buildings would have needed to get permission to demolish and in fact it was the council that ordered the buildings to go and be replaced by the monstrosity that replaced them.