HATFIELD MOOR BLOWOUT

rover1949

Some recent history.

In 1981 there was a blowout on a drilling rig at Hatfield Moor near Doncaster and the rig burnt down.  Some American fire-fighters were brought in to bring it under control and one of the things they needed was a long metal boom attached to the back of a bulldozer.  It looked like the boom from a tower crane and was used to drag away the wreckage.

I remember listening to an interview on local radio and this boom was being made by a welding firm in Walkley.  Does anyone else remember the incident or know which firm made the boom?

Can't help on eithewr of your two direct questions, but the following references give further information:

1. An appraisal of Underground Gas Storage technologies and incidents, for the development of risk assessment methodology page 106
  2. Onshore oil is all set to grow

There is also a Wikipedia article which mentions this (from whence I obtained the two references): Thorne and Hatfield Moors

Here you go, put the kettle on and settle down for a long read. Boom was fabricated in one of the hangars at RAF Lindholme, according to bottom of page 6?

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/543818/response/1323318/attach/html/3/EIR 201901150 Disclosure.pdf.html

The Walkley firm may have fabricated it on site, but no mention of them that I can see?

Interesting read though... thanks

3CCAC332-9117-481E-9B29-0C44E771DBFE.jpeg

Good stuff everyone, many thanks.

I was living in Hillsborough at the time and thought that Walkley was an unlikely location. It is more logical that some welders based in Sheffield went to Lindholme to work on the project. The BBC often get the wrong end of the stick.