Building on corner of York Street/Campo Lane

Sheffield History

Screenshot 2020-05-13 at 16.26.44.jpg

Does anyone know what this building is/was on the corner of York Street and Campo Lane?

Does it have a name?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, madannie77 said:

It was originally the Boys' Charity School, built in 1825, and it is a grade II listed building:

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1270817

This view is effectively the side and rear of the building - the main entrance appears to be on East Parade.

Which is all I know about it (at the moment)

Because the clergy at the parish church had had enough of the rowdy play of the school boys, their complaints led to railings being fixed on the roof to make a safe area for the boys to play, the railings can still be seen in the photo.

I was a railway messenger boy in 1956 and regularly took full National Insurance cards to be exchanged for fresh empty ones.

This was to a building on East Parade, well down near the bottom so  maybe the Government were using this building as National Insurance offices at that time.

It was originally built in 1710, but rebuilt 1825.  The first master made a profit by not feeding the boys very well, and hiring out the rooms where they should have slept for card and dance assemblies.  That only stopped when the Assembly Rooms were built on the corner of Norfolk Street and Arundel Street in 1762.

On 13/05/2020 at 18:45, Organgrinder said:

I was a railway messenger boy in 1956 and regularly took full National Insurance cards to be exchanged for fresh empty ones.

This was to a building on East Parade, well down near the bottom so  maybe the Government were using this building as National Insurance offices at that time.

Yes, you're right. This might bring some memories back...

MofP.jpg