Thornseat Lodge

Sheffield History

I attended a wedding reception there in 1985, its hard to believe its finished up like this. W/E.

Hi Waterside Echo , can I ask you what it was in 1985, was it some kind of restaurant

or function rooms? And who owned it then?

Hi Waterside Echo , can I ask you what it was in 1985, was it some kind of restaurant

or function rooms? And who owned it then?

The function was at a large house on Storrs Bridge Lane, we then went on to Thornseat Lodge for photos to be taken via Holdsworth, I had been that way many times in the past visiting our milkman Ted White on his farm. As far as I know no one went inside the lodge. Sorry, thats all I can remember. W/E.

Thornseat lodge was mentioned in parliment in December 1994 so i presume it was still in the hands of the Sheffield local authority at that time.

Column 1550

Secure Unit Development (Sheffield)

11.45 am

Sir Irvine Patnick (Sheffield, Hallam): I am grateful for the opportunity to register, on behalf of my constituents, a major concern--the proposed secure unit development in the green belt in Limb lane, Dore. The debate links three Government Departments-- the Department of Health, the Department of the Environment and the Home Office-- which all have a part to play in the debate.

The secure unit development in the green belt in Limb lane, Dore, is based on Sheffield city council's proposal to build an eight-place secure unit with an open four-bed unit. Sheffield city council, the planning authority for such matters, runs the existing unit, and it will run the new unit. It has given itself planning permission for the development despite much local opposition which, as far as I can tell, has been ignored totally.

The city council has advertised the development as a "departure", and the Secretary of State for the Environment will have to decide whether to call in the application for his determination. The city council had a choice of many sites for the proposed development, and, while neither I nor the residents of Sheffield are opposed to secure units, I believe that the site the council has proposed is flawed in several key areas: siting; environment; safety; and, above all, cost.

Sheffield city council conducted a search for the site, but it seems odd that its search was limited to only five sites. One of the sites--Thornseat lodge near Strines--is located within the Peak national park. The council maintains that the existing building is unsuitable for conversion, and it advised that Peak park planners have told the council that planning consent will not be recommended for a new building in that rural location, which is also in the green belt. Sheffield council also advised that the site has very poor transport access. I will return to that subject later.

For some reason, which is not exactly clear, other sites do exist in Sheffield, but they have not been studied for the development. The scheme will serve the whole county of South Yorkshire, which comprises Barnsley, Doncaster, Rotherham and Sheffield. It is an area of more than 385,000 acres, with a population of 1.3 million and, using the 1971 census, 485,000 households.

Anyone would think that such an area would require a centrally located site, yet the site in Limb lane in Dore, Sheffield, is in the extreme south -west of the county, and it is nearer to Derbyshire and Greater Manchester than many parts of South Yorkshire. My hon. Friend the Under-Secretary of State for Health, in his letter to me of 10 November, advised that the only secure facilities currently available in Yorkshire and Humbershire are at Eastmoor, Leeds, and Sutton Place in Hull. He said that there was a sound case in principle for providing an additional eight-place unit in the region, and that that, ideally, should be located in South Yorkshire.

More suitable sites have been suggested in South Yorkshire, and those would not involve the time, money and inconvenience to staff, the police, the courts and visiting relatives. Surely it would be better for the county and the surrounding areas to locate the site further north or east within the county. There appear to be many more

• Like 1

Guest mmitchell

i was in thornseat lodge in the early 80s, My memories are of a very happy all the staff was like family, norma from barnsley, alan, bert, sam, ruth the cook, the teachers pat & jackie, & also the manager john vicory who sadly died with his girlfriend from the fumes of his gas fire and john had a black dog called bess who had to be put to sleep after johns death. the place it self was haunted so very strange things use to go on there, johns dog bess would follow him where ever he went apart from 1 room where the dog would not go past the door.

i was very sad upon leaving thornseat lodge i had some very happy times there, in fact on the i left i was in tears, i was also very sad to see the state of the building last month after revisiting what a shame

I was in there a few years before you, i agree it it was a great place and the staff really cared. I have very fond memories of Norma, she had a little mini car when i was there. Ruth the cook seems to ring a bell although most of the staff seem to have changed from the late 1970s. I have been back to visit the lodge but its sad to see its state now. Its hard to except but the building is eventually going to collapse in.

Guest adam_ward

Hi,

I know this post is quite old now but my girlfriends mother and partner went there yesterday and filmed some videos on her mobile. While there they did not see anything at all that resembled a spirit, however, when watching back on the video on the phone, you can see figures from within the building and at one point as they walk past a window the figure that can be seem appears to peek around the window as though they were watching them.

If I can get the video from her phone I will upload this if possible or maybe send to Admin for them to look at?

Adam

Hi,

I know this post is quite old now but my girlfriends mother and partner went there yesterday and filmed some videos on her mobile. While there they did not see anything at all that resembled a spirit, however, when watching back on the video on the phone, you can see figures from within the building and at one point as they walk past a window the figure that can be seem appears to peek around the window as though they were watching them.

If I can get the video from her phone I will upload this if possible or maybe send to Admin for them to look at?

Adam

That sounds interesting Adam, I can't wait to view it.

Hi,

Adam

Frankly I'm already terrified - might be best if I have a brandy before viewing.

I nearly killed myself looking for this place recently, turns out you can't stare to the right and drive in a straight line that easily

Hi is there anyone who can help me who was at thornseat lodge childrens home .

I was there poss in 1975 ish . I am interested in knowing the whereabouts of Neen .

I am louise smith I was unable to walk and I had  metal rods on my leg  and spent a lot of time sat up in a square glass type bed.

I remember Neen  carrying me around the house and getting into trouble for picking me up .Neen was blind ,I remember sitting with Neen in a little room while she,d read brail books .

I also remeber very clear that a boy ran into our dorm and he set fire to the curtains I shouted Neen as she was sleeping in the bed next to the window .

Neen lifted me outta the box and I struggled to open the door to get us out .Neen ran down the corridor with me .

When I left Thornseat seat lodge I did not want to leave Neen  .I was not even 5 yr old .

I am desperate to find records of me being at thornseat lodge and any other information would be of great help .

the people who looked after me were beautiful people I did not want to leave.

As much as I am no fan of our Royalty/Aristocracy, this sort of thing rarely happens to ‘their’ properties on their watch. Albeit that I’m convinced  it’s the likes of you and me that end up paying for it, be it  it by some diverse method.

Has anyone (such as the council) attempted to contact the current owner and ask them what their plans are for this eyesore and obvious health hazard? I am certain that the village society where I live would have much to say if this happened on their patch.

• Like 1

On 08/03/2021 at 07:32, DaveJC said:

As much as I am no fan of our Royalty/Aristocracy, this sort of thing rarely happens to ‘their’ properties on their watch. Albeit that I’m convinced  it’s the likes of you and me that end up paying for it, be it  it by some diverse method.

Has anyone (such as the council) attempted to contact the current owner and ask them what their plans are for this eyesore and obvious health hazard? I am certain that the village society where I live would have much to say if this happened on their patch.

• Like 1

Thornseat Lodge, Mortimer Road, Bradfield. c.1952s38036.jpg.ce516e48c041410203d0aec0108697c6.jpgs38036

Built 1855 as a shooting lodge for William Jessop of Sheffield. In the 1930s it became a children's home. By the 1980s it had closed and the building became derelict.

s38038.jpg.f13c845cad2165e6ef01f1ea810cc1dd.jpgs38036

Thornseat Lodge and Warden's House, Mortimer Road, Bradfield. 1986. s38039.jpg.d56bb97e346ef15f0333ff75492a3e57.jpgs38039

Thornseat Lodge, Home for Toddlers, Mortimer Road, Bradfield. 1952. s07803.jpg.f6bad6729520f252943c522c11d9e68c.jpgs07803

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s07804&pos=10&action=zoom&id=11039

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s07805&pos=11&action=zoom&id=11040

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s07806&pos=12&action=zoom&id=11041