Thornseat Lodge

Sheffield History

Rosiie most of the information you have posted seems to be wrong regarding the lodge. The building was in pretty good condition when its present owners bought it are you connected to them in some way? Can you show us the structural reports you have had access to or tell me where i can view them?. Although it was a childrens home for many years i know that T/L was in the hands of social services and the probation service ie local authority . In recent years parts of the roof have been removed causing serious water damage and it appears thieves or vandals have removed some stone and any valuable metals etc. I have said this before i know but i really feel strongly that this building should be saved. There are a people working to save this building and i hope they succeed but these things take time. As you point out Thornseat lodge is a dangerous place you cannot possibly get to the cellers without putting yourself in danger, especially from the asbestos requiring the wearing of a mask .The crest that is on the front of the building will be removed in time and the front of the building will collapse just like when the crest to the side entrance was removed all for just one piece of stone. This forum is all about Sheffield history and i for one do not want to read about Thornseat lodge in Sheffield - places now gone. Why is this building (and others in the area) being deliberatly left to rot when it has obvious multi potential ?

I'm originally from oughtibridge so am familiar with the hague name. If it is Doug hague who owns it then he is a successful local business man who had a haulage/digger hire firm for many years. I'm aware from talking to my old man he has diversified into land and property over the recent years. I believe the plough in in low bradfield is also owned by him too.

Good luck to the guy,and its not for me to critisize but it seems a damn shame to see it all go rack and ruin and surely it would be more lucrative to develop it..?

Guest chad24uk

It is not Doug Hague who owns the lodge, its his son Martin Hague, and yes he owns the Plough pub in Bradfield too

I am a new member and come from Barnsley, but I too have a certain fascination with Thornseat Lodge. Unlike the member who thinks the place is spooky and emanates evil, I don't think it's spooky at all. I think it's a beautiful building which should not have been allowed to get into the state it is in. I last went to look at it on 8 June this year and the dilapidation seems to be accelerating at an alarming rate.

Like one of the other members, I would have bought it years ago if I had the money.

It is said that when the lodge passed through the Jessop family to William Jessop (1856 - 1905) he continued to use it as a shooting lodge and that when he did so, he had his chauffeur let down the tyres on his large, early car and refill them with a footpump. He believed the moorland air was better for the rubber tyres.

I am a new member and come from Barnsley, but I too have a certain fascination with Thornseat Lodge. Unlike the member who thinks the place is spooky and emanates evil, I don't think it's spooky at all. I think it's a beautiful building which should not have been allowed to get into the state it is in. I last went to look at it on 8 June this year and the dilapidation seems to be accelerating at an alarming rate.

Like one of the other members, I would have bought it years ago if I had the money.

It is said that when the lodge passed through the Jessop family to William Jessop (1856 - 1905) he continued to use it as a shooting lodge and that when he did so, he had his chauffeur let down the tyres on his large, early car and refill them with a footpump. He believed the moorland air was better for the rubber tyres.

Thats a great story bess, the air out there seems much better than the city air . I loved the place when i lived there and hate to see its demise, when i was there i also remember the outbuildings at the back, one had WJ 1888 on it so i presume these were built after the lodge itself.

Guest theglove

Does anyone remember the cooks names when it was a kids home,was it ruth and a little blind woman called neen?

Guest chad24uk

Does anyone remember the cooks names when it was a kids home,was it ruth and a little blind woman called neen?

I do remember Ruth. and last heard of her running a children's home in Totley, but unsure of the name of the place. As for the Blind lady, I can't remember her, maybe she was before my time

Guest theglove

I thought it was ruth married to a bloke called Terry wallis,she lived in higher bradfield i think.and i do recall a horse called dapple at the lodge.And we used to do garderning in the top field growwing our own.

I thought it was ruth married to a bloke called Terry wallis,she lived in higher bradfield i think.and i do recall a horse called dapple at the lodge.And we used to do garderning in the top field growwing our own.

I think i was there a couple of years after you, there was a pony kept at the back in a sort of stable. The stable seems to have been demolished some years ago, there was also a goat that would stand around the old pool. I wonder if the old caravan was there during your stay?. I seem to recall that the cook (while i was there) lived at a house that belonged to the reservoir as her husband was the keeper. Another member of staff was a nice woman called Norma who was from Barnsley and had a mini car (she was also a nurse)

Guest theglove

yep it was a pony,not a horse,and i do recall the goat.lol.as for Norma don,t remember her. What i do remember is going out for a walk in the woods behind there and finding a skeleton of a rabbit,and spending days gluing it all back together.When i do think back there was a couple of good memories.....stocksbridge sports centre,once a week.And old pete playing the guitar.and now look at the place,it could tell some story,s.

Guest biotech

Thornseats lodge was sold in the mid 80's to a local businessman, he also owns the old waterworks, the old school and house and Wilkin hill centre and numerous other buildings around Bradfield. All, except the old school have had the roofs removed and just left to fall down. It is such a shame that not only are these building left in this condition, but it gives a bad stain of unsightly veiwing to such a beautiful area.

Hi guys I'm new to this forum. I haven't seen Thornseat lodge in person but was in Bradfield over the weekend. I know the old water works is in a bad state of repair. That can clearly be seen from the road. Have there been any repairs done to any of these recently? I'm wondering why these buildings are not listed. There are a total of 12 listed buildings on Mortimer Road and the chapel on Mill Lee Road is listed so why not the works?

Has anyone tried to get the council to do anything under section 215 of the town and country planning act to make the owner(s) repair these properties?

Guest purplecat

My daughter and I found this interesting and upsetting part of this site by chance. In the early 1990's we were part of Sheffield Gingerbread Group and found out about Thornseat Lodge by chance as a place to go and stay for families on low incomes etc. We stayed there several years running it was a beautiful old house with one room which the caretaker used still in its original state with oak panelled walls it was beautiful. We celebrated childrens birthdays, Halloween and lots more it was great to get the kids out of town and into the countryside. I also know that the police used the ground as a training venue.

I cannot belive that it has got into this state in less than 20 years unless it is from purposeful neglect, we always said we would love to own it but have never been in a financial position to do such a thing. The owner should be ashamed of himself as should the Sheffield and Bradfield Councils for allowing this to happen.

It was never spookey, haunted or anything else odd as we stayed there with children and all slept well!

Is it a listed building? What can we do to try and stop it from completedly falling down? Wish I could win the lottery!!

My daughter and I found this interesting and upsetting part of this site by chance. In the early 1990's we were part of Sheffield Gingerbread Group and found out about Thornseat Lodge by chance as a place to go and stay for families on low incomes etc. We stayed there several years running it was a beautiful old house with one room which the caretaker used still in its original state with oak panelled walls it was beautiful. We celebrated childrens birthdays, Halloween and lots more it was great to get the kids out of town and into the countryside. I also know that the police used the ground as a training venue.

I cannot belive that it has got into this state in less than 20 years unless it is from purposeful neglect, we always said we would love to own it but have never been in a financial position to do such a thing. The owner should be ashamed of himself as should the Sheffield and Bradfield Councils for allowing this to happen.

It was never spookey, haunted or anything else odd as we stayed there with children and all slept well!

Is it a listed building? What can we do to try and stop it from completedly falling down? Wish I could win the lottery!!

I know how you feel purplecat its hard to beleave whats happened to the place. I remember the end room that was pete's office (caretaker)

The person who owns Thornseat Lodge now simply does not care. I know that certain people in the know have tried to save the Lodge but the

owner answers to no one. Although its an historical building im afraid its not listed and i doubt the owner would sell it for any price. Like yourself i

really do hope the building can be saved. Lets keep our fingers crossed that some one high up with clout steps in.

I guess what is happening here is "progress" but I dont have to like it or even agree.

Many of the places of my childhood have gone, the house I grew up in on Glossop Road is now a carpark for the university. The church where I attended Life Boys, Sunday School and Boys Brigade, Hanover Methodist, has now been replaced with a modern building. The picture palaces, The Star, The Western, etc where I fist went out with a girl. The original Tapton School built only in 1960 has now gone.

Maybe these needed to go, but to allow Thornseat Lodge and also the Millhouses Paddling Pools to just fall in to ruin should be a crime.

Where are the benefactors like Graves etc who made their money then put something back.

I guess the love of money has destroyed the soul!

Guest Badger1

I am also new to this site and concur with the majority view on the Lodge's derelict appearance. I was there on and off between 1943 and 1945 visiting from Fulwood Cottage Homes although I cannot remember it at all as I only just three when I left Fulwood. My wife from Stannington tells me that she often used to walk in that area with her mum and dad. One day she saw some of the children out walking and asked who they were. Her mum replied that they were orphans (or a similar description) on which response my wife said "Can we take one home with us?" She got her wish eventually, bless her!

Guest Judderman62

I visited this place earlier this month and have to say it did not feel at all spooky to

me. It is a lovely old building - sadly now in a very sorry state - such a waste :-(

WJ William Jessop

There is the odd small hole in some of the floors

Quick route to the basement .... not recommended.

Said basement

anyone for a swim ?

Thanks for looking

I visited this place earlier this month and have to say it did not feel at all spooky to

me. It is a lovely old building - sadly now in a very sorry state - such a waste :-(

Thanks for looking

And we Thank You for posting your photots Judderman62,

and welcome to Sheffield History.

Guest Judderman62

Thank you kind Sir :)

Guest edie_sedgwick

I would love to buy this property off Doug Hague... He owns the most beautiful derelict buildings in Sheffield. Why does he let them crumble away? I think its cruel. Ive been to Thornseat Lodge a few times now, sometimes I go on my own. I'm only 20 and it was a stupid thing for a young woman to walk from Oughtibridge to Bradfield to enjoy the tranquility and hollow beauty of some old house.

I've been followed by a weird highway maintenance guy and the week after a man in a clapped out white van... creepy.....

But nothing stops me from wanting to go up there and chill and have a cigarette and do some writing, its such a breathtaking place.

Ive taken notebooks up there and based my new book on Thornseat Lodge, it gives me the chills... but no drugs or anything can beat the buzz you get off places like these.

DOUG, IF YOURE READING THIS, SELL IT TO SOMEONE WHO CARES, OR RESTORE IT, COS ITS SELFISH OF YOU TO LET IT ROT.

:)

I would love to buy this property off Doug Hague... He owns the most beautiful derelict buildings in Sheffield. Why does he let them crumble away? I think its cruel. Ive been to Thornseat Lodge a few times now, sometimes I go on my own. I'm only 20 and it was a stupid thing for a young woman to walk from Oughtibridge to Bradfield to enjoy the tranquility and hollow beauty of some old house.

I've been followed by a weird highway maintenance guy and the week after a man in a clapped out white van... creepy.....

But nothing stops me from wanting to go up there and chill and have a cigarette and do some writing, its such a breathtaking place.

Ive taken notebooks up there and based my new book on Thornseat Lodge, it gives me the chills... but no drugs or anything can beat the buzz you get off places like these.

DOUG, IF YOURE READING THIS, SELL IT TO SOMEONE WHO CARES, OR RESTORE IT, COS ITS SELFISH OF YOU TO LET IT ROT.

:)

I know exactly how you feel about this place as i have lived there in the past. I still sometimes go back to have a look at the old building as it holds some fond memories for me.

Im afraid many people including myself have tried to have something done about this historic building. Imagine having that much money that you can do as you please,

crazy world if you ask me. If Thornseat lodge would have been within the city i feel some forced action would have taken place by now.

I attended a wedding reception there in 1985, its hard to believe its finished up like this. W/E.

Popular place !

Went up there at the beginning of June, wont be going anywhere near the main house if i go again, the floors are like tissue paper and any reasonable wind brings pieces of masonry down from the upper floors---very very dangerous. BUT.....even without the main building its a fascinating place.And there,s a nice view of Sheffield in the distance looking over Bradfield

Thank you jimbob55 , I can't say it was good to view these pictures

but thanks anyway. This man must have more money than sense, it breaks your heart.

My other half had a breakfast at one of his places in Bradfield recently, I'll tell him not to bother in future.